Is it time to re-sign Nelson?

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
So an out-of-position 20g, 20a player that's going to have a career year in a contract year should be signed for 5.5-6 a season long-term?

Pass. Too much risk. If we hadn't signed so many other players to overpaid long-term contracts that have underachieved I'd say go for it. We do have players on the books forever where we watch the decline so no-go from me regarding Nelson.

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
I have killed this guy over the past few years and probably because he had so much potential and never really showed it, but he has been doing a very good Ryan Kesler imitation in the first 18 games of the year and we are 2 weeks into November and it seems like he is for real now.

The question is at what point do you resign him, this to me is Bailey 2.0, and in some ways his development path has been a little faster than Bailey.

What do you all think?
Im still in the trade him camp. should be able to get a lot for him.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I want to say it's Trotz because he's effective in all three zones. If he was just putting up points I would say it's all about the contract.

Also remember Weight and Capuano really were garbage coaches. This is his first real NHL caliber coach.

Yeah,but other homegrown youngsters who had the same crappy coaches, strung together good seasons.Guys like Hamonic, KO,Frans. Same coaches,but unlike Brock no laziness.

I lean toward trading him and trying to find a top 6 upgrade.

ndgolden

Jan 9, 2009
Yeah,but other homegrown youngsters who had the same crappy coaches, strung together good seasons.Guys like Hamonic, KO,Frans. Same coaches,but unlike Brock no laziness.

I lean toward trading him and trying to find a top 6 upgrade.

Did Lee not have the same coaches? Lee, Nelson and all need to prove their worth the next 6 weeks.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Nelson will be the next Ladd.

Ladd's problems aren't about heart or effort, but a littany of serious injuries that have sapped his skill and ability. He had back and, perhaps even worse, shoulder problems before he even signed with the Isles. Chronic shoulder injuries are some of the hardest to recover from, especially in a sport like hockey.

Nelson has the talent, skill and shot and has been relatively healthy in his career. So the question is if this is a turning point or just a short-term bounce due to better coaching, opportunity and a contract drive?

That is what Lou and Trotz need to determine. Figure out what player Nelson really is, what he is worth in terms of a contract or what he can return in trade. Then make a call.

But Ladd and Nelson are two very different cases.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
If Nelson scores 40 goals which is his pace it’s going to be hard to not sign him. Maybe he is following the Bailey career path
I don't see him hitting 40. Shot percentage is well above his career average, 24 percent, and I expect it to be around 12-14 by the end of the season.

That said... Bailey contract for him? I don't know. If we let him walk we better have a backup plan because 2C was already a dicey situation before we decided to roll with Brock there.

Reactions: dood

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
"When time is on your side, use it."
~Lou Lamoriello

What would signing any of our upcoming UFA's right now accomplish? Offer them all fair deals at the deadline. If they don't accept, trade them for the best package you can get.

Nelson in particular would command a decent raise over his current contract. What if he reverts to the old Nelson in December and never comes back? Don't make a move until it's necessary, evaluate all your options until then and make the appropriate decision.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
"When time is on your side, use it."
~Lou Lamoriello

What would signing any of our upcoming UFA's right now accomplish? Offer them all fair deals at the deadline. If they don't accept, trade them for the best package you can get.

Nelson in particular would command a decent raise over his current contract. What if he reverts to the old Nelson in December and never comes back? Don't make a move until it's necessary, evaluate all your options until then and make the appropriate decision.

The only downside to waiting is if Lamoriello wants to keep them but they decide they want to test free agency. That's it. I'm okay with waiting for all of them. If they continue to excel, great. If they struggle, we can get a more reasonable deal or trade them.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The only downside to waiting is if Lamoriello wants to keep them but they decide they want to test free agency. That's it. I'm okay with waiting for all of them. If they continue to excel, great. If they struggle, we can get a more reasonable deal or trade them.

One thing is certain, this team can't afford to lose more assets for nothing. Between the Tavares fiasco and Snow fudging the expansion draft, it really hurt this team. If it gets to the point where they want to test free agency, let them know we still have interest but will have to explore a trade for the good of the franchise.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
One thing is certain, this team can't afford to lose more assets for nothing. Between the Tavares fiasco and Snow fudging the expansion draft, it really hurt this team. If it gets to the point where they want to test free agency, let them know we still have interest but will have to explore a trade for the good of the franchise.

Absolutely. None of them are worth the gamble to do anything else.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
No.

Still time to trade him.

You give Nelson 6+ million/year for 5+ years and you will regret it.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
No.

Still time to trade him.

You give Nelson 6+ million/year for 5+ years and you will regret it.

I would not go over $5.5 for Nelson as of now, but if he keeps up this pace there are two main variables in play here.

Is it the coach or the contract year? If it is the coaching we will regret not signing a 30-40 goal scorer long term that was homegrown. If it is the contract year boy did we get lucky. I would LOVE if Nelson follows the Bailey path (watch that be used around here for underperforming youngsters from now on), but I also would not be surprised if he falls off a cliff before the deadline.

I have never seen Nelson be consistent past October, if he is playing like this until the deadline I think the team has to look into signing him.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I would not go over $5.5 for Nelson as of now, but if he keeps up this pace there are two main variables in play here.

Is it the coach or the contract year? If it is the coaching we will regret not signing a 30-40 goal scorer long term that was homegrown. If it is the contract year boy did we get lucky. I would LOVE if Nelson follows the Bailey path (watch that be used around here for underperforming youngsters from now on), but I also would not be surprised if he falls off a cliff before the deadline.

I have never seen Nelson be consistent past October, if he is playing like this until the deadline I think the team has to look into signing him.

Here's my problem...

I'm not investing a long-term contract in a guy who's floor is so lackluster at best. I understand players can be late bloomers, but to me not when it comes to consistent effort. For a 6 year veteran to FINALLY start showing consistent effort is too late for me...And I'm not committing long-term dollars to such a player.

I would also like to point out the Nelson's scoring goes DOWN in the playoffs which to me is probably the #1 reason I would not resign a player. When they call the NHL playoffs a "second season," they ain't kidding. It's actually a different kind of season and you should be building a Cup contender around players who can perform them. Players unlike Nelson.

Bottom line...I hope we can all agree that if Nelson isn't signed by the trade deadline he MUST be traded. No more letting assets walk out the door for free - No matter where the Isles are in the standings.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
Resign Nelson...laughable.

He's doing what he always does...good first half will disappear in the second half. Follow his career, never changes.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Resign Nelson...laughable.

He's doing what he always does...good first half will disappear in the second half. Follow his career, never changes.
But there are 2 strong variables this year...

1) Legit coach (maybe an understatement)
2) More responsibility and prime ice time with PJboy gone

They should wait and see but if Trotz can continue to find what drives Nelson's engine (much like what Arbour has done throughout his career) then Brock could be an important piece here for the next 5 years.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Here's my problem...

I'm not investing a long-term contract in a guy who's floor is so lackluster at best. I understand players can be late bloomers, but to me not when it comes to consistent effort. For a 6 year veteran to FINALLY start showing consistent effort is too late for me...And I'm not committing long-term dollars to such a player.

I would also like to point out the Nelson's scoring goes DOWN in the playoffs which to me is probably the #1 reason I would not resign a player. When they call the NHL playoffs a "second season," they ain't kidding. It's actually a different kind of season and you should be building a Cup contender around players who can perform them. Players unlike Nelson.

Bottom line...I hope we can all agree that if Nelson isn't signed by the trade deadline he MUST be traded. No more letting assets walk out the door for free - No matter where the Isles are in the standings.

Your post is suggesting that Nelson has not been helped by the best coach in the NHL and is having another good start though. Time will tell if this is a phase or if this is the new Nelson though. I would hate to give up on him right when he learns how to play the right way though. I think coaching has a lot more to do with this than you are letting on.

Reactions: Instant and dood

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I think there is a lot that is different in BN 2.0. He's playing center, giving good effort, playing with skill guys, producing and seems energized. Now the fact that this is a walk year is definitely a motivating factor for him...but also is it the coaches? The increased responsibility? Growing up?

These are all factors we just really dont know the answer to. He could very well be KO and never reach his point totals from this year again.....OR......he could be Josh Bailey who just seems to have gotten better at hockey. Really tough to tell.

Both comps are kind of flawed-KO went to a bad team and got injured...and JB has consistently shown improvement over a number of years...while BN hasn't.

Ultimately I would like to try to re-sign BN to a reasonable contract... 5/25? something like that but I doubt that happens from his end. I DO think the light has gone on for him, he's finally showing the potential we all saw in him and I do not think he'll revert back given a new contract...but it is just a guess based on limited data at this point.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
With the way BN has played NY can get a solid return for him. I would send him to Carolina for defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad