Is it time to re-sign Nelson?

islesjuncky

Jun 15, 2014
new york
personally i think he is an option for a solid top 6 winger. Learning to play center alittle bit does help his 200 foot game and gives the isles some flexibility. Tough call committing to a long term contract with Nelson. This is why Lou is getting paid now. Glad it's not me making the decision...
If they pay me what they pay Lou I'd be glad to make the decision

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
We wait until 1/1 and see where he and the team are at before starting any discussion. He's 27 (all season) and the next 5 to 6 years can all be good, productive ones under the right coach. I think if Brock takes a Bailey contract, you have to do it in today's NHL. If he wants more, you probably have to risk losing him for nothing if the team is playoff bound, but I can't see signing him to $6M/yr (today). Either that or deal him and get a longer term 2C solution, but then you're messing with chemistry. As others have said, tough call. I believe Barry and the structure are getting things out of him, because he looks good internationally in recent years. If elite players are getting between $10-12MM/yr, solid supporting players getting $5-7MM/year should not be unthinkable. To me, 5.75 for 6 years sounds about right, if he's a 50-65 pt top 6er.

Reactions: RMimagery

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
It is too early to make that call. However for all you guys who don't want him re-signed then who are you going to get for 2nd line center. Unless we win the lottery anyone we draft won't be ready for a few years. We don't have any centers at Bridge. The best free agents will be Staal, Duchene and Brassard. Brassard is no better than Nelson. Staal is getting up there in age. You want to pay Duchene 7 years and $7-8 mil per year? Isles won't get him cheap.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
It is too early to make that call. However for all you guys who don't want him re-signed then who are you going to get for 2nd line center. Unless we win the lottery anyone we draft won't be ready for a few years. We don't have any centers at Bridge. The best free agents will be Staal, Duchene and Brassard. Brassard is no better than Nelson. Staal is getting up there in age. You want to pay Duchene 7 years and $7-8 mil per year? Isles won't get him cheap.

I want Duchene, yes. I'd take Panarin too, though not a center, he would allow us to acquire a less talented center who could be elevated by Panarin.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Just you wait until Brock signs one of those 5yr/30mil tickets like Shatty did...talk about going through the motions.

He has gone in 6 months to everything I hate in an NHL player to everything I love in an NHL player, it is the strangest conversion I have seen, at 38 games if he has 30 points and is still playing 3 zone hockey I think it is not a mirage

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
As depth, Brock is perfect to have and at 3.5 mill..that's it.

Trade him for something we need..

Maybe since the ducks are doing garbage...something around Fowler or Lindholm...obviously it'll take a lot more than just Nelson - I can't think of anyone else available that we teams would trade. I think we are going to have to draft a centre or grab one from the sabres or another team.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I think the Isles should sign all three of Lee, Eberle and Nelson. Players like these guys don't grow on trees, and the team has the money to do it. Build the up and coming youngsters around this core.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
I'd say give him another month or so to keep producing and then offer him a reasonable contract. If he signs, great. If not, trade him. I could see him thinking he is worth more than the Islanders do. He is a valuable player regardless of what many fans on this list think. He is a viable 20 goal guy who looks like he could be on his way to 30+ this year. He has the talent. He just has not put it all together consistently. But, he is still young. I see him like Bailey to some degree. I have supported Bailey. Check my posts. I supported Bailey before the last two seasons. Guys bashed him. Guys are bashing Nelson. Nelson has infuriated me, too. I just see that Nelson has the talent and this is the first time he has played for a coach who knows what the h*** he is doing and holds players accountable from what I can see. Wait a bit, and if he continues to perform, they have to offer him a reasonable deal. If he signs it, great. If not, the team needs to move him.

Reactions: Keyserfrans

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006
Nelson is suddenly making plays, deeking, and showing puck skills I never thought he possessed. Trotz really likes him. If he keeps it up they’ll try to resign him. I hope he keeps progressing.

Reactions: isles309

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Forget 20 goals, he is looking like 30+ this year, with physical play, hustle, and even some snarl. He is out of position as #2 C, but has turned the corner. I imagine he wants to stay, he finally has a real coach pushing the right buttons.
If he gets traded, it better be for significant talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad