Is it time to re-sign Nelson?

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I have killed this guy over the past few years and probably because he had so much potential and never really showed it, but he has been doing a very good Ryan Kesler imitation in the first 18 games of the year and we are 2 weeks into November and it seems like he is for real now.

The question is at what point do you resign him, this to me is Bailey 2.0, and in some ways his development path has been a little faster than Bailey.

What do you all think?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Forget the points and goals. He’s looked like a completely different player. That being said, it’s way to esrlybto make that decision. Also, I don’t think right now he’s a reasonable long term answer as the #2 Center. Very pleased with his play thus far though and have to give credit when it’s due.

Reactions: bigtim1988

djavan

May 7, 2003
Visit site
If they can get another center/wing via trade that has size and is defensively responsible. Cizikas is already “nicked up” and though I love what Filppula provides I don’t think it’ll remain over 82 games. Yes, he’s playing well

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I wouldn’t, small sample in a contract year. He’s getting good coaching, he’s making a commitment to both ends of the rink, he’s scoring (even in November). W all that said, he’s not a traditional center, would prefer more playmaking, there are better options out there.

Reactions: IODCPiper

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
personally i think he is an option for a solid top 6 winger. Learning to play center alittle bit does help his 200 foot game and gives the isles some flexibility. Tough call committing to a long term contract with Nelson. This is why Lou is getting paid now. Glad it's not me making the decision...

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I have killed this guy over the past few years and probably because he had so much potential and never really showed it, but he has been doing a very good Ryan Kesler imitation in the first 18 games of the year and we are 2 weeks into November and it seems like he is for real now.

The question is at what point do you resign him, this to me is Bailey 2.0, and in some ways his development path has been a little faster than Bailey.

What do you all think?
I think we need to wait and see before we decide whether to sign or not. I’m still skeptical as one it’s a contract year and two we have seen good starts from Brock in the past.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

What do you all think?
After we re-sign Lee. He should be first with an offer. Let Nelson wait until January while he keeps producing.

Could it be that Trotz is the right coach to finally reach Brock Nelson?

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Depends on what he's willing to sign for right now. I wouldn't sign him to a huge contract right now, but that's probably what he's looking for.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
After we re-sign Lee. He should be first with an offer. Let Nelson wait until January while he keeps producing.

Could it be that Trotz is the right coach to finally reach Brock Nelson?

I think any good coach could have reached Nelson, we just never had a good coach, that is why our players don't develop that fast, poor Bailey was coached by a cheesy rap video star, the king of Bedrock and then the shorter sidekick of the king of Bedrock

Team should offer Lee, then Nelson, then Filp.... I think Eberle can be let go of

Reactions: YearlyLottery

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
personally i think he is an option for a solid top 6 winger. Learning to play center alittle bit does help his 200 foot game and gives the isles some flexibility. Tough call committing to a long term contract with Nelson. This is why Lou is getting paid now. Glad it's not me making the decision...

Even with Nelson's strong start, I am leery about commiting big bucks to such an inconsistent player, motivated by a contract yr.
Is the biggest difference in his game Trotz's influence or pushing for the biggest contract of his career?
Is this the Nelson we will see in future seasons or will he slide back into complacency after getting his contract?

Brock has said he hopes to stay. Like you, I am glad the decision falls on Lou.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I think if I can lock him up for 5 years 5.5-6 million yes.

If He ends up going for 30+ goals and 65 points he just might get over 7 million in today's market which would be crazy.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Even with Nelson's strong start, I am leery about commiting big bucks to such an inconsistent player, motivated by a contract yr.
Is the biggest difference in his game Trotz's influence or pushing for the biggest contract of his career?
Is this the Nelson we will see in future seasons or will he slide back into complacency after getting his contract?

Brock has said he hopes to stay. Like you, I am glad the decision falls on Lou.

I want to say it's Trotz because he's effective in all three zones. If he was just putting up points I would say it's all about the contract.

Also remember Weight and Capuano really were garbage coaches. This is his first real NHL caliber coach.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't trust that Nelson is able to play the third center spot and be productive, I also don't trust that he'll continue to produce the way he is and would prefer and upgrade at the second center position. Not interested in re-signing him until much closer to the deadline and I'd prefer to trade him as it stands right now.

Pet peeve: It's re-sign, not resign.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I think any good coach could have reached Nelson, we just never had a good coach, that is why our players don't develop that fast, poor Bailey was coached by a cheesy rap video star, the king of Bedrock and then the shorter sidekick of the king of Bedrock
Barney Rubble?

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
You don't know if this the "Trotz-effect" or this is just him playing for a new contract. I remember Drew Stafford was notorious for playing lights out at the end of his contract and then milking it out once he got it. Just don't want him to lolly-gag around if we do re-sign him. A lot of risk comes along with it.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Not sure I can trust that this is the "new & improved" Nelson. It would be great to give him an incentive-laden contract to almost force him to be committed. I would offer him $4.5M/6 yr contract and if he doesn't want something under $5M/AAV, start working the trade routes to package him and get someone more reliable and more a prototypical 2C or a 4D.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
No it is definitely not the time to sign Nelson. Even if he keeps this play up through the whole year I’m not sure if it’s the right move to sign him.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
re-sign

[ree-sahyn]
Word Origin
See more synonyms for re-sign on Thesaurus.com
verb (used with or without object)
  1. to sign again.
  2. to renew or extend a contract.
re·sign

(rĭ-zīn′)
v. re·signed, re·sign·ing, re·signs
v.tr.
1. To submit (oneself) passively; accept as inevitable: I resigned myself to a long wait in line.
2. To give up (a position, for example), especially by formal notification.
3. To relinquish (a privilege, right, or claim). See Synonyms at relinquish.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
No it is definitely not the time to sign Nelson. Even if he keeps this play up through the whole year I’m not sure if it’s the right move to sign him.
Then the right move is to trade him when he’s scoring and has a pulse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad