Is it time to panic?

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
I think with the age and still untapped potential of Schief, Ehlers, Laine, Morrissey, Roslo, Connor, etc, we are going to be increasingly better every year for quite a few years to come. Then what we have in the pipeline with Appleton, Vesalainen, Niku and others, we are going to be a nightmare for other teams for another decade at least.[/QUOTE]

That's the spirit...

Go :jets Go

Reactions: Howard Chuck

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
No need to panic ...unless Bucky gets injuried and all we have is Brossoit and Comrie to rotate in net.

Tdpjets

Dec 30, 2017
If the jets offense becomes a lot more potent due to the improvement in play of little and roslovic, the jets should still be able to win games with Brossoit/Comrie.
No need to panic ...unless Bucky gets injuried and all we have is Brossoit and Comrie to rotate in net.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg

I don't know to much about Brossoit-- but if Bucky goes down--we're in big trouble if we have to rely on Comrie. I have not liked what I saw, when he was in net for the Jets. If I was Chevy, I'd really be looking around for a "solid backup"

Hopefully Helly stays healthy all year-- he looks pretty flexible and durable.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Enstrom was great defensively but he’s still aging and flawed.

I believe Armia to be solid depth guy who was in part a byproduct of playdrivers like Lowry and Perreault.

Losing Stastny isn’t optimal, but the Jets were one of the best teams in the toughest division last year before his addition. They can do it again and have a new rental, next year.

That said...

The cap crunch is happening
The prospect cupboards are emptying out
And Trouba is IMO a top 30 defender who could very likely move into top 10 or higher soon

It’s definitely not time to panic, even remotely. The team has time to push for some success... but there are cracks... fixable cracks, but cracks are showing.

TannedBum

Jul 23, 2014
I believe Armia to be solid depth guy who was in part a byproduct of playdrivers like Lowry and Perreault.
michael-jordan-laughing.gif

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
No, there is no need to panic. In fact there is a great deal to be absolutely stoked for. A young team with some very high skill players that have already signed long term or will sign long term in the next 15 months or so.

IMO we could be in for the best years of hockey in Winnipeg since the late 70's.

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
Can somebody post the opening night lineup for season 1 of Jets 2.0 and the likely opening night lineup for 2018-19.

That's all Chevy and the scouts.
Way more hits than misses in the draft and while the prospect list isn't bursting at the seams like it was just 2 seasons ago what that means is shown in the present roster.

Trouba isn't going to be allowed to just walk. We will get something good in return

Either a comparable or close to D +, or a C, or high pick(s). Chevy won't be taking back 31st in the 1st for Trouba.

There is no indication any other player on the roster doesn't want to be here.

Hutchinson gone- who cares
Enstrom gone- pretty much done, no?

Mason - unfortunate season but who knows he might be done. Montreal didn't keep him long enough to hate him because he can't speak French.

Armia - if he's the difference between making and not making the playoffs I'll eat a pair of soiled underwear at Portage and Main when they open it up to pedestrians.

Trouba is not gone yet and he if he has any brains will play the season of his life to prove he deserves whatever he thinks he's worth.

Attitude is a big part of success. The organization wants and will reward players who want to be here.

If Trouba doesn't, so be it.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
How can the Jets team regress with the lineup they have now?
The back up goalies last year combined was bad. See record.

Maybe Enstrom at this stage was a little bit better on gap controls than Morrow but Morrow is faster and looks like he have some offense which suit the Jets style of play. Enstrom for the last 2-3 years was offensive blackhole.

Armia was a depth lost. He is not going to be a top 6 player on a good team. A bad team, probably. Now Dano, petan with probably better offensive potential than him. Granted Armia is better at pk but he is not elite pk. Dano looks to be a puck hound also.

Hendrick?

Stastny was a great addition at the deadline and it was worth it at that time. But its time for Roslovic to step up, he got his feet wet.
He will not be as savy vet like Stastny now but he has the potential to be 40-50 point producer this year. That is very good as 3c/middle center deployment. He is quicker and faster which suit the Jets style.

Then there is a chance that Niku will be able to play also. Wildcard out of all of this.

In the end

Enstrom and Hendrick were lost that jets got actually better.
Stastny was not going to be our long term anyways no matter what.
The back up goalies were bad. If our back goalie goes .500 we are a contender still.

Only Armia lost had a negative effect due to his PK and possesion play.
But combination of the players vying for that spot will offset this. Higher offensive potentials (Dano, petan, Vesalainen). Though still need to be proven.
I also think Copp and Tanev have a lot more to give together with Lowry.

Jets 1st round target next year needs to be a RD. I am thinking center . But Jets will draft late again and elite centers dont grow on trees late in the rounds.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Can somebody post the opening night lineup for season 1 of Jets 2.0 and the likely opening night lineup for 2018-19.

That's all Chevy and the scouts.
Way more hits than misses in the draft and while the prospect list isn't bursting at the seams like it was just 2 seasons ago what that means is shown in the present roster.

Trouba isn't going to be allowed to just walk. We will get something good in return

Either a comparable or close to D +, or a C, or high pick(s). Chevy won't be taking back 31st in the 1st for Trouba.

There is no indication any other player on the roster doesn't want to be here.

Hutchinson gone- who cares
Enstrom gone- pretty much done, no?

Mason - unfortunate season but who knows he might be done. Montreal didn't keep him long enough to hate him because he can't speak French.

Armia - if he's the difference between making and not making the playoffs I'll eat a pair of soiled underwear at Portage and Main when they open it up to pedestrians.

Trouba is not gone yet and he if he has any brains will play the season of his life to prove he deserves whatever he thinks he's worth.

Attitude is a big part of success. The organization wants and will reward players who want to be here.

If Trouba doesn't, so be it.

Jets 2011 line up :)

Ladd little Wheeler
Nobody nobody Kane
Nobody nobody nobody
Glass Slater Thorburn lol

Enstrom Byfuglien
Nobody nobody
Nobody nobody

Pavelev
Nobody

I can put names but to give better perspective. Thats how bad the Jets team was. And Wheeler was not at his top form yet.

Now potential

Perrault Schiefele Laine
Ehlers Little Wheeler
Connor roslovic xxxx
Copp Lowry Tanev

Morrissey Trouba
Xxx Byfuglien
Kulikov Myers

Hellybuyck
Brosomething

Xzx are up for grabs

9 forwards should be able to score 15 goals or more. With 6 at least 20, 4 of them at least 30, 1of them can get to 40 and 1 to 50.

Forward group is one of the best in the league.
Dcore is one of the best top 6 again in the league. And i believe Jets upgrade on Enstrom.

Goalie top 3 goalie in the land. Enough said

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Not buying the regression angle one bit. Any loses from guys like Toby and Armia will more than be made up of growth from our young core. Scheifele probably still has a bit to go yet, but for guys like Laine, Ehlers, Connor and Morrissey they have barely scratched the surface of their potential. You add in Rosie and Niku you could very likely have 2 more impact players in their early 20's. So why again are we worried about having Enstrom and his $5.75 off the books or Mason's $4.1. I'd move Trouba asap for another good D prospect and a young roster player and let's just keep moving forward.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Not buying the regression angle one bit. Any loses from guys like Toby and Armia will more than be made up of growth from our young core. Scheifele probably still has a bit to go yet, but for guys like Laine, Ehlers, Connor and Morrissey they have barely scratched the surface of their potential. You add in Rosie and Niku you could very likely have 2 more impact players in their early 20's. So why again are we worried about having Enstrom and his $5.75 off the books or Mason's $4.1. I'd move Trouba asap for another good D prospect and a young roster player and let's just keep moving forward.

Exactly how I see it KB. There is so much untapped potential in this group of Jets. We could be much better next year just due to the growth of the many young talented players we have, and who have been regulars in the lineup and successful already at such a young age.

Sky's the limit imo.

Reactions: amethyst

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
The was a very important offseason and so far to a large extent it has not gone well.
  • Enstrom walks after there being reports of bad blood between him and the Jets.
  • No trades at the draft.
  • No 1st round picks.
  • Armia traded for nothing to get rid of the Mason contract.
  • Stastny does not re-sign inspite of all efforts otherwise, including cap space being cleared specifically for him.
  • Little will be our 2nd line C next season.
  • Hutch walks and the backup we sign has huge question marks.
  • Trouba goes to arbitration and is pretty much done as a Jet.
  • We are almost forced to be stuck with Myers for the foreseeable future, a guy many of us thought was just a servicable 3rd pairing D.
  • While Helle signed around market value and Lowry perhaps just a little above it, neither of these contracts have any discount.
At this point, I am concerned about making the playoffs let alone making a run at something. Also concerned about the long term future of this club, the blueline looks rough in the long term.

I want to go through this point by point, because it looks ridiculous on face value.

-Enstrom Walks

I'm probably president of the Enstrom defence force since 2011. At least a founding member. I really don't care he's leaving now, at this point he's an above average 3rd pairing guy. Nice to have, but not essential Concern rating 3/10.

-No trades at the draft

This is absolutely ridiculous. Is doing something dumb better than doing something ridiculous? Concern rating -4/10.

-No first round picks

There are two series wins in franchise history. Do we win both with Stastny and our first round pick? I say no. Our future is hurting though. Concern rating 4/10

-Armia traded

Because a third/fourth line winger due for a raise we can't afford is such a huge loss for dropping 4 million in salary. Concern rating 0/10

-Stastsny not resigning

See above - yeah it sucks, but we'll probably be a cap team this year anyway. Concern rating 4/10

-Little as second line centre

IIRC the Jets were doing fine before the trade deadline, and will treat this deadline similar to last year's deadline. Concern rating 3/10

-Hutch walks

And that's a bad thing? Concern Rating -3/10

-Trouba done in WPG

#JustOverhardtThings - on the plus side, he's still here for next year, in our most likely year to win the cup. Concern Rating 7/10

-Stuck with Myers

Myers is UFA next year... Concern Rating -∞/10

-No discounted contracts

Considering the savings on Scheif's contract, I think we're good. Concern rating 3/10

In conclusion
- this post is pure fantasy. Yeah, the Trouba situation sucks, but everything else is minor, or even not true.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad