Is it time to panic?

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003
Keep pretending Little is alright....just like Ladd & Enstrom were to the very end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The was a very important offseason and so far to a large extent it has not gone well.
  • Enstrom walks after there being reports of bad blood between him and the Jets.
  • No trades at the draft.
  • No 1st round picks.
  • Armia traded for nothing to get rid of the Mason contract.
  • Stastny does not re-sign inspite of all efforts otherwise, including cap space being cleared specifically for him.
  • Little will be our 2nd line C next season.
  • Hutch walks and the backup we sign has huge question marks.
  • Trouba goes to arbitration and is pretty much done as a Jet.
  • We are almost forced to be stuck with Myers for the foreseeable future, a guy many of us thought was just a servicable 3rd pairing D.
  • While Helle signed around market value and Lowry perhaps just a little above it, neither of these contracts have any discount.
At this point, I am concerned about making the playoffs let alone making a run at something. Also concerned about the long term future of this club, the blueline looks rough in the long term.

The longer term future of the right side D looks pretty bleak. But it is never time to panic. :laugh:

I want to see what Chevy can do now that his job is getting tough.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You've been in a constant state of panic since 2012.

It's time to panic if Myers is extended for over $5M per.

Gawd, I hope that doesn't happen. At least not extended for more than a year or two. :laugh:

But that still won't be time to panic.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
Absolutely nothing has changed since yesterday other than having greater clarity about Trouba's intentions. All options remain.

I'd call this outcome more boring than panic-inducing. I was actually hoping for a little more excitement today, if anything...

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I still think we will be a contender but we just had about as bad of an off-season as any team can get, we should definitely be concerned, but until we see results next season there is no need to panic(we still have one of the deepest Forward groups in the league in front of one of the deepest defences in the league with one of the best young Goalies in the league). If Chevy can sign Morrissey long term this would make up some ground though.

As for myself I’m extremely concerned(if we don’t keep Trouba or move for a replacement + assets I will be pretty damn disappointed because we could had traded Trouba to Tor and jumped in the Tavares sweepstakes).

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Enstrom didn't walk. The Jets let him go. Do you see him signing anywhere else?

Jet's are one of the top 3 teams in the league. Our prospects are nearly all NHL ready. For teams in our position trading for a player 3-5 years away isn't a top priority.

Shedding an albatross contract for cap space isn't "nothing"

Perhaps we created cap space to sign our RFA's? It's your assumption that trade was done simply for Stastny.

Little is paid & performs at a 2nd line centre level. No issue here.

Hutch isn't a Vezina candidate & has shown repeatedly that's he's incapable of coming of the bench cold & performing. Until he learns how to play at a high level with minimum actual game play he's a poor option as a #2

He's obligated to the Jets for 2 more seasons. Gross overstatement.

Jet's have 3 RD under contract & been playing nice with them for just this eventuality, Trouba becoming a UFA in 2020. Thank god we have Myers. I'll add there isn't a team in the NHL other than Winnipeg where he plays 3rd pairing. You seem to think a Calder winner should be in the press box. Wrong!

Both signed below many people's expectations. Bucky got Holtby numbers like many including myself predicted. Many had projected Lowry to be $500,000 more.

Jets have ONLY lost Armia & players at or near their prime have gained a years experience. Scheifele, Connor, Laine, Ehlers, Trouba, Morrissey, Lowry, Tanev, Copp, Hellebyuck are all better not worse.

Wheeler just had the best season of his career. Byfuglien just played the best hockey of his career & put up Norris numbers over the last third of the season.

Jets are in great shape.

I think reality is somewhere in between this and the OP - unless only next year matters and anything beyond next year does not.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Are we trying to win a Cup? Sure doesn't look like it if they're content with Bryan as the 2C.

Bryan will make you eat those words. :laugh:

He performed at a 2C level last year - in spite of poorly matched wingers and a generally 'off' year. Unless he regresses further he is still a 2C. Who knows whether that will happen or not? I'm counting on a rebound until it doesn't happen.

Reactions: GNP

The Luxury Line

Sponsor
Oct 8, 2015
Oakville
Don't know that I've seen this in any of the myriad threads about the mercurial Mr. Trouba.

Objective facts (trying to keep subjective opinion out of a highly inflammatory subject matter):

Jets record in games played with Trouba (2017-18 regular season): 34-13-8 (76 points in 55 games or 1.381 PPG)

Jets record in games played without Trouba (2017-18 regular season): 18-7-2 (38 points in 27 games or 1.407 PPG)

Hard to see that any loss of Trouba will equate with the "season is doomed" prophecies.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I still think we will be a contender but we just had about as bad of an off-season as any team can get, we should definitely be concerned, but until we see results next season there is no need to panic(we still have one of the deepest Forward groups in the league in front of one of the deepest defences in the league with one of the best young Goalies in the league). If Chevy can sign Morrissey long term this would make up some ground though.

As for myself I’m extremely concerned(if we don’t keep Trouba or move for a replacement + assets I will be pretty damn disappointed because we could had traded Trouba to Tor and jumped in the Tavares sweepstakes).

We never could have afforded Tavares so I have no idea how you could be coming to that crazy conclusion.

JetBrett

May 18, 2018
Tavares would have come here!?

Didn't he take less money than the Isles offered to head "home" to Toronto?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Don't know that I've seen this in any of the myriad threads about the mercurial Mr. Trouba.

Objective facts (trying to keep subjective opinion out of a highly inflammatory subject matter):

Jets record in games played with Trouba (2017-18 regular season): 34-13-8 (76 points in 55 games or 1.381 PPG)

Jets record in games played without Trouba (2017-18 regular season): 18-7-2 (38 points in 27 games or 1.407 PPG)

Hard to see that any loss of Trouba will equate with the "season is doomed" prophecies.

Plus we'll have Enstrom out of the lineup the entire season. It's well documented that the Jets have a better record without Enstrom than with. :sarcasm:

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Somehow, this feels appropriate.

Naked Gun Panic GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
giphy.gif

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Enstrom shouldn't have been back at any price because Niku needs to play at least 40 games this year so he's not completely thrown into the fire when Myers walks.

We don't have a single contract on the books the Jets would walk away from right now.

We have 1 elite center 2 average 2c's (40-50 pts) and a very good 3c... don't worry about Little

There's still ELC help coming

The fact that Chevy even signs players at market value with the perceived market handicap he's working with is a plus. Signing players during Jets 1.0 with no cap was a nightmare
The only way Niku plays 40 games this year is if we have injuries. As we will have 7 D-man on one way contracts and possible Poolman as well depending on his new contract.

Last edited:

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Tavares would have come here!?

Didn't he take less money than the Isles offered to head "home" to Toronto?

I said it would had been possible to join the names of teams who where trying to get him, and actually the first thing I should had said was we could have signed Stastny back and gotten assets as well, but now we are stuck here hoping Roslovic can be a 2C(when there could had been safer options).

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I said it would had been possible to join the names of teams who where trying to get him, and actually the first thing I should had said was we could have signed Stastny back and gotten assets as well, but now we are stuck here hoping Roslovic can be a 2C(when there could had been safer options).

I don’t think you understand how much cap space we still would have to move even for Stastny.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad