Is it time to panic?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
It's never time to panic, panic is the worst response to any situation.

Panic was probably too strong a word. However, the prevailing winds seem to be heading south. And there's a noticeable absence of activity in the positivity thread. ;)

boanst

May 25, 2013
It would take a disaster for the Jets to miss the playoffs.

It is possible the Jets may have peaked last year though. I expect us to be a good team for years but we may never end up having it set up as well as we did in 2017/18.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I still think we will be a contender but we just had about as bad of an off-season as any team can get, we should definitely be concerned, but until we see results next season there is no need to panic(we still have one of the deepest Forward groups in the league in front of one of the deepest defences in the league with one of the best young Goalies in the league). If Chevy can sign Morrissey long term this would make up some ground though.

As for myself I’m extremely concerned(if we don’t keep Trouba or move for a replacement + assets I will be pretty damn disappointed because we could had traded Trouba to Tor and jumped in the Tavares sweepstakes).

I don't see any need to think about Tavares. He wasn't coming here and I wouldn't have wanted to pay him.

But I did spend all of last off-season arguing that we should pre-empt Trouba/KO by making him a really good offer to find out if he was willing to stay here or not, or if it was just about money or not. At that time I was thinking of 8x7. If he turned that down, we would know and could start shopping him.

Then there is the argument of trading him the year before that - before the holdout began.

It may be that waiting till now was the worst option but I am willing to wait and see how this plays out. There are still several ways it could turn out well. Lets see if Chevy can rescue the situation.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Don't know that I've seen this in any of the myriad threads about the mercurial Mr. Trouba.

Objective facts (trying to keep subjective opinion out of a highly inflammatory subject matter):

Jets record in games played with Trouba (2017-18 regular season): 34-13-8 (76 points in 55 games or 1.381 PPG)

Jets record in games played without Trouba (2017-18 regular season): 18-7-2 (38 points in 27 games or 1.407 PPG)

Hard to see that any loss of Trouba will equate with the "season is doomed" prophecies.

A team's record with and without a given player is a poor measure of their value - unless it is over a much larger number of games. There are a lot of other factors that can explain the results.

That said, I think it still shows supports the idea that the Jets are still a good team even without Mr Trouba. Just don't try and take that to the bank. :laugh:

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
The was a very important offseason and so far to a large extent it has not gone well.
  • Enstrom walks after there being reports of bad blood between him and the Jets.
  • No trades at the draft.
  • No 1st round picks.
  • Armia traded for nothing to get rid of the Mason contract.
  • Stastny does not re-sign inspite of all efforts otherwise, including cap space being cleared specifically for him.
  • Little will be our 2nd line C next season.
  • Hutch walks and the backup we sign has huge question marks.
  • Trouba goes to arbitration and is pretty much done as a Jet.
  • We are almost forced to be stuck with Myers for the foreseeable future, a guy many of us thought was just a servicable 3rd pairing D.
  • While Helle signed around market value and Lowry perhaps just a little above it, neither of these contracts have any discount.
At this point, I am concerned about making the playoffs let alone making a run at something. Also concerned about the long term future of this club, the blueline looks rough in the long term.

We got this brah. Jets are going to the playoffs, with or without Trouba.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If only the jets had valimaki all would be well then

It's kind of funny that when you look at in terms of long term success. Enstrom provided next to nothing for us last season and Armia wasn't anything special either. We probably could have given him to Las Vegas rather than Thorburn and been fine without moving back our pick. Mason signing ended up being a complete dud as well. Kulikov still has value to us as we have a very weak left side. We manage to salvage a lot of value getting Vesalainen that late in the draft. Then again there are a lot of kids in that draft looking good. If we had someone like Bowers or Poehling I don't think we would be to upset either.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
We got this brah. Jets are going to the playoffs, with or without Trouba.

Yeah I can't see us faltering to the point of missing the playoffs. We are easily in the toughest division in the league and nothing is set in stone either. Nashville, Dallas, Colorado, St Louis and even to a lesser extent Minnesota and Chicago are all capable of making the playoffs. It's nice to have confidence but lets not pretend we are a lock for anything.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not true, if we got rid of Trouba it would be possible.

We would need to come up with another 5-6 mil, at least. Trouba wasn't budgeted for 12+ mil. We would have needed to move both Myers and Perreault if Trouba signed long term. So if we had gotten Tavares we would also have needed to move one of Wheeler, Buff, Morrissey, Ehlers or Connor. It would be possible - but the price would have been horrendous. Oh, I left Little off the list. He would be an obvious move but he has a full NMC for a couple of more years. If he would waive, we could do it by also moving on from Myers and MP. We would be strong down the middle but left with just Buff & Poolman on RD. Maybe the combination of Little, Myers, MP could get us a cheap but good RD somewhere. Meantime, maybe Niku plays the right side.

It gets complicated. :laugh:

Afterburner

FREE UKRAINE
Sponsor
Jun 24, 2016
Dimension C-137
Yeah I can't see us faltering to the point of missing the playoffs. We are easily in the toughest division in the league and nothing is set in stone either. Nashville, Dallas, Colorado, St Louis and even to a lesser extent Minnesota and Chicago are all capable of making the playoffs. It's nice to have confidence but lets not pretend we are a lock for anything.

I would never think we were like a lock lock, I mean anything can happen to any team at any time (VGK, we're looking at you) but I'm not going to start panicking that we're not going to the big dance

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
OP seems to panic regardless of the situation. If Helle regresses there will be problems but otherwise we are a contender,IMO.

Yeah, I am not going to read this thread beyond the first page for this reason alone. It’s a meme at this point.

Reactions: Duke749

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Just checked outside because I thought the sky was falling but it was just the rain.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
Panic? I've already got tickets to the season opener. I'm going to drive 24 hours to Bell MTS Place and throw the jersey off my back onto the ice and immediately drive home.

But seriously... no it's f***ing not. One of the youngest teams in the NHL just came off a run to conference finals and a 52 win season.

Tell me how this team isn't poised to make the playoffs, please. I liked Enstrom and Armia but they're both replaceable (my God that's Roslovic and Niku's music).

As for Trouba, I 'll wait to see what we get back for him before panicking.

Last edited:

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
It would take a disaster for the Jets to miss the playoffs.

It is possible the Jets may have peaked last year though. I expect us to be a good team for years but we may never end up having it set up as well as we did in 2017/18.

I disagree and were going to better than last season...

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
hockey just finished and panic mode is on already. needs some jets brand coriander.

morrissey kind of looks like ehlers.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I think with the age and still untapped potential of Schief, Ehlers, Laine, Morrissey, Roslo, Connor, etc, we are going to be increasingly better every year for quite a few years to come. Then what we have in the pipeline with Appleton, Vesalainen, Niku and others, we are going to be a nightmare for other teams for another decade at least.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Enstrom didn't walk. The Jets let him go. Do you see him signing anywhere else?

Jet's are one of the top 3 teams in the league. Our prospects are nearly all NHL ready. For teams in our position trading for a player 3-5 years away isn't a top priority.

Shedding an albatross contract for cap space isn't "nothing"

Perhaps we created cap space to sign our RFA's? It's your assumption that trade was done simply for Stastny.

Little is paid & performs at a 2nd line centre level. No issue here.

Hutch isn't a Vezina candidate & has shown repeatedly that's he's incapable of coming of the bench cold & performing. Until he learns how to play at a high level with minimum actual game play he's a poor option as a #2

He's obligated to the Jets for 2 more seasons. Gross overstatement.

Jet's have 3 RD under contract & been playing nice with them for just this eventuality, Trouba becoming a UFA in 2020. Thank god we have Myers. I'll add there isn't a team in the NHL other than Winnipeg where he plays 3rd pairing. You seem to think a Calder winner should be in the press box. Wrong!

Both signed below many people's expectations. Bucky got Holtby numbers like many including myself predicted. Many had projected Lowry to be $500,000 more.

Jets have ONLY lost Armia & players at or near their prime have gained a years experience. Scheifele, Connor, Laine, Ehlers, Trouba, Morrissey, Lowry, Tanev, Copp, Hellebyuck are all better not worse.

Wheeler just had the best season of his career. Byfuglien just played the best hockey of his career & put up Norris numbers over the last third of the season.

Jets are in great shape.

The Fonz has got this nailed down to a T--just the way I view things--so a big thumbs up to the Fonz :)

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
The only way Niku plays 40 games this year is if we have injuries. As we will have 7 D-man on one way contracts and possible Poolman as well depending on his new contract.

When do we not have injuries... we had 7 guys play over 40 games last year and another combined 40 out of our 8 and 9 on the depth chart

Reactions: ps241

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad