Post-Game Talk: Is it possible to end a game before OT?

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Solution: When the game goes to OT let the goalie (Mrazek) warm up best way possible with goalie equipment in case the game goes to SO.. injury risk is less now.

The solution is to put players out there that can score. Washington had the US shootout champion and Evgeny Kuznetsov go out and score. Both of them are uber talented at them and had probably the greatest goalscorer currrently in the league behind them.

The Wings had Nyquist and Datysuk who should both be pretty good and they looked pathetic.

Five minutes is not enough to warm up to face penalty shots. Especially mentally. Mrazek would look ridiculously terrible if he were put out there in that situation.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
It would be nice to see something like a goalie's shootout +/-. To be able to objectively compare how much our team ****s Jimmy over making him look bad. Does anybody know a way to extract such a stat without going through too much trouble? Or alternatively, does anybody feel like going through too much trouble?

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
I think it might be time to considering giving datsyuk either tatar or nyquist or upgrade for wingers..not sure the datsyuk richards combo will work out. Also datsyuk and jurco havent been able to find much chemistry the times they have been together..

What they have now is fine.. First and third line are producibg well but itd be nice to have a second line to match

Last edited:

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
I wonder what it would look like if Dats was given Abby snd Z got Helm to play.

It would have been nice to see Tatar on the 4-3, he's a little more dynamic and can create his own chances. The caps played it well, but tatar or gus would have got them moving a bit more I think and opened things up. Washington is a good team. Happy with the point. Not sure what you can do about Jimmy in the shootout. I always say he needs a more aggressive approach. lots of goalies get their paddle down and eliminate that cut back move on the 2nd shootout goal. oh well. keep the points coming.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I will gladly take that point on the road against Washington. It wasn't our worst effort by any means, but we need to play with more energy to beat quality opponents.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think it might be time to considering giving datsyuk either tatar or nyquist or upgrade for wingers..not sure the datsyuk richards combo will work out. Also datsyuk and jurco havent been able to find much chemistry the times they have been together..

What they have now is fine.. First and third line are producibg well but itd be nice to have a second line to match

If we get too unhappy with Datsyuk's line, I think the best option is to sit Andersson, move Helm to the fourth line and call up Mantha or Athanasiou for Datsyuk's wing.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
We should not send Datsyuk out on the shootout anymore because it looks like he legitimately hates doing it. The body language is all there - skates in super slow, no effort in the moves anymore, never frustrated when he doesn't score, etc. It looks like a chore to him, and I really can't say I blame him for disliking that ****show.

Also Datsyuk needs new linemates. Why Brad Richards is not on the fourth line is driving me up a freaking wall.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Bad game for the Wings. Ah well, they were due and the Capitals are a really good team. Nice to get a point out of that all things considered. Jimmy was good tonight.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We should not send Datsyuk out on the shootout anymore because it looks like he legitimately hates doing it. The body language is all there - skates in super slow, no effort in the moves anymore, never frustrated when he doesn't score, etc. It looks like a chore to him, and I really can't say I blame him for disliking that ****show.

Also Datsyuk needs new linemates. Why Brad Richards is not on the fourth line is driving me up a freaking wall.

Totally agree that Datsyuks looks done with the shoutout and has for awhile. He's just going through the motions with it.

Also agree about giving him new linemates, only issue is my inclination would be to give him Tats, but I love that TSN line at the same time.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Maybe I'd try

Abby-Zetterberg-Larkin
Tatar-Datsyuk-Nyquist
Sheahan-Richards-Jurco
Andersson-Glenny-Helm

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
Maybe I'd try

Abby-Zetterberg-Larkin
Tatar-Datsyuk-Nyquist
Sheahan-Richards-Jurco
Andersson-Glenny-Helm

Not bad but how about balance the second and third lines a bit like this:

Abby-z-larkin
Tatar-dats-richards
Nyquist-sheahan-jurco
Anderson-glennie-helm

Jurco has done well with sheahan in the past. Some firepower on the third line for sure but not too much.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Howard is stupid. It was right to use the coach challenge there. There were 2 caps in the crease.
If we get too unhappy with Datsyuk's line, I think the best option is to sit Andersson, move Helm to the fourth line and call up Mantha or Athanasiou for Datsyuk's wing.
Yes.:yo:

Agree. Datsyuk really looks like he does not want to be there.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Howard is stupid. It was right to use the coach challenge there. There were 2 caps in the crease.

Wow so much wrong with that.

1: Howard didn't say it shouldn't have been used, he just said he didn't know why it was used.

2: Howard would be the expert on whether or not contact prevented him from making a save.

3: The play was definitely not goalie interference.

4: Calling the challenge was fine anyway because regardless of the outcome it basically just acted like a timeout anyway allowing us to regroup after the tying goal.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Not bad but how about balance the second and third lines a bit like this:

Abby-z-larkin
Tatar-dats-richards
Nyquist-sheahan-jurco
Anderson-glennie-helm

Jurco has done well with sheahan in the past. Some firepower on the third line for sure but not too much.

I like this a lot.

Aug 6, 2012
Seeing Richards on any of these lines is tough right now. The guy is too mentally and physically slow to keep up with the rest of this team. He's got Cleary-itis, stops moving his legs, bends over and reaches for the puck to no avail all of the time.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Wow so much wrong with that.

1: Howard didn't say it shouldn't have been used, he just said he didn't know why it was used.

2: Howard would be the expert on whether or not contact prevented him from making a save.

3: The play was definitely not goalie interference.

4: Calling the challenge was fine anyway because regardless of the outcome it basically just acted like a timeout anyway allowing us to regroup after the tying goal.

You dont have to defend Howard. He played very good/great. The posters calling him out for being bad at SOs are wrong.

Anyhow, regardless what he says and thinks about the situation, even if there was no contact, there were 2 players in his crease.
I Will watch it again. Ericsson protested, Blashill too.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
I don't care how Howard or Datsyuk performs in SO. SO are a joke. I'd rather the team not even practice for it. Just practice the PP and win games in regulation.

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
You dont have to defend Howard. He played very good/great. The posters calling him out for being bad at SOs are wrong.

Anyhow, regardless what he says and thinks about the situation, even if there was no contact, there were 2 players in his crease.
I Will watch it again. Ericsson protested, Blashill too.

Actually they aren't wrong, Howard is objectively bad at shootouts.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Actually they aren't wrong, Howard is objectively bad at shootouts.

This feels strange.
Howard has been terrible at SOs last 2-3 seasons, but any time your goalie allows 2 goals on 40ish shots, he has done a great job. Howard was very good/great in gre game, but bad in SOs as he has been for so e time now.
Anyhow, Datsyuk and Nyquist did not look any better either.

Howard.
This is the best I have seen Howard last 2-4 seasons. He is actually trending up for have first time in a long time. I like a lot what I see from Howard this season. Regardless what the stats say, I see Howard who makes saves and looks good and confident doing so. I see Howard who allows goals, but does not look rattled as he used to last 2-3 seasons.

I have criticised Howard the most on this board, but I have no problems with giving the credit where the credit is due. This is the Howard who plays very good/great.
And I love it.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
1st Caps goal.

Exactly the same goal Helm and Kronwall caused vs the Oilers, and nobody calling them out for it.
How come nobody noticed this?

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
I really want Dats to get going. Team needs some magic from him. I agree with what everyone is saying about his linemates, those need to be changed ASAP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad