Post-Game Talk: Is it possible to end a game before OT?

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I'm done with Sheahan. I'm done with the PP. I'm done with guys getting pushed off the puck left and right.

I thought DeKeyser had a really good, if subtle, game.

He Did actually:

My Scores:

Green +1 -3
Kronwall +2 -2 (Top pairing did not have their normal strong game)
DK +4 (good game of DK)
E +1 -1
M +4
S +4 -1 (Great game for the bottom pairing)

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
4/6 points against Washington this season. Not terrible.

NumberFive

Too much negativity.
Mar 27, 2007
Enh. Thanks to Buttman's brilliant ingenuity, any given team could technically lose all but 18 games in the entire season and still make the playoffs. But whatever. I'll take the OTLs.

Actual Thought*

Trotz teams play so well. I wish we had picked him up when he was available. Washington was so much more disciplined. Their structure was so much better. I think we should be happy to get the point even though we got soundly out played.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm done with Sheahan. I'm done with the PP. I'm done with guys getting pushed off the puck left and right.

I thought DeKeyser had a really good, if subtle, game.
Sheahan's been pretty good lately. PP is the worst part of this team's play currently. Just abysmal.

NumberFive

Too much negativity.
Mar 27, 2007
I think we should be happy to get the point even though we got soundly out played.

Absolutely. But I don't feel we played that badly. If we had, we'd have been sent packing without a point.

And before anyone plays their 'lucky-to-have-gotten-that-point' card, we have a point in 11 straight games. That doesn't happen by luck. They're getting the job done. And I've already mentioned the mathematics behind how few you actually need to outright win in order to make the playoffs, so 'good enough' is, really, good enough.

Could they be doing better? Sure. They could be 28-0-0 (and some folks here won't be happy unless that's the case). But I'll take 15-8-5, sure.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Trotz teams play so well. I wish we had picked him up when he was available. Washington was so much more disciplined. Their structure was so much better. I think we should be happy to get the point even though we got soundly out played.

So you wish we dumped Babcock for him?

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I'm surprised it took so long for goalies to figure out Nyquist's one and only SO move...

Also a huge coaching mistake.. kind of ignorant, by blashill, not to switch to Mrazek for the SO... It's the same BS babcock went with.. "Howard took us this far in the game, let him have a chance in the SO even though his SO stats are ****"

BS

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
howie is simply not good in the SO and thus should be replaced when he starts and the game goes to one

let him practice them all day long until he cant let a goal in and then and only then put him back in during game action

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Enh. Thanks to Buttman's brilliant ingenuity, any given team could technically lose all but 18 games in the entire season and still make the playoffs. But whatever. I'll take the OTLs.

If you ask me a team that goes an entire season without ever being behind at the end of a 60 min regulation game is a pretty damn impressive team, and deserves their 100 points if not more.

NumberFive

Too much negativity.
Mar 27, 2007
Also a huge coaching mistake.. kind of ignorant, by blashill, not to switch to Mrazek for the SO... It's the same BS babcock went with.. "Howard took us this far in the game, let him have a chance in the SO even though his SO stats are ****"

I thought we already covered this...? Bringing in a cold goalie without warm-ups, to take on a series of penalty shots (arguably the most difficult task a goalie has to tackle), just to win one point instead of two, all the while risking an injury to the subbing goalie, is short-sighted and has little ROI, given the risk to bear.

Not to mention the fact that the game should have been won in regulation (or even in OT), and you're asking a cold goaltender to put his health at risk because the rest of the team couldn't get it done in 65 minutes??

No.

NumberFive

Too much negativity.
Mar 27, 2007
If you ask me a team that goes an entire season without ever being behind at the end of a 60 min regulation game is a pretty damn impressive team, and deserves their 100 points if not more.

I quite agree. But instead of the lame descriptor "overtime loss", let's call it what it should be called and should be regarded as: A TIE.

Yeah, I'm a purist. Sorry. :laugh:

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
I thought we already covered this...? Bringing in a cold goalie without warm-ups, to take on a series of penalty shots (arguably the most difficult task a goalie has to tackle), just to win one point instead of two, all the while risking an injury to the subbing goalie, is short-sighted and has little ROI, given the risk to bear.

Not to mention the fact that the game should have been won in regulation (or even in OT), and you're asking a cold goaltender to put his health at risk because the rest of the team couldn't get it done in 65 minutes??

No.

Solution: When the game goes to OT let the goalie (Mrazek) warm up best way possible with goalie equipment in case the game goes to SO.. injury risk is less now.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Solution: When the game goes to OT let the goalie (Mrazek) warm up best way possible with goalie equipment in case the game goes to SO.. injury risk is less now.

How is letting a goalie warm up in a 3-on-3 OT any better? So we just get scored on in OT instead of losing the shootout? Great plan...

NumberFive

Too much negativity.
Mar 27, 2007

So now what you're proposing is that Howard should be yanked prior to the start of OT and put Mrazek in. Great. So now if Mrazek lets a goal in, we not only do not get the extra point, we lose the one we got and walk away empty-handed. All because you just HAD to have Mrazek in, in case of a shootout situation.

Again, no.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
The lopsided PPs had something to do with that, yes.

We had a really hard time sustaining any pressure in the offensive zone. Can't win like that, at least not usually.

I had fair share of whiskeys last night but I did not think officiating was bad. Yeah they missed a high sticking call but for the most part Washington did a good job at keeping them to the outside and didn't do much holding.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I agree, putting Mrazek in the net is the best way to get Nyquist and Datsyuk to score.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00