Post-Game Talk: Is it possible to end a game before OT?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, OK Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
To continue the last post of the GT, if anyone blames Howard for that loss they should thank him twice as hard for the point.

What's the PP differential against Washington this year??? 13-4? The Wings are the luckiest team on earth to be 1-1-1 against the Capitals with a differential like that.

Mantha Poodoo

Playoff Beard
Jun 5, 2008
Not sure how I feel about that game yet.

Howard makes the saves and just can't buy a win.
Officiating was silly one sided.
Team got slowed down on all the PPs and in turn fed the one sided officiating.
That 4 on 3 PP unit choice was horrible.
Jurco looked good. Takeaway led to the first goal (takeaway > odd man rush > icing > scored off icing faceoff) and scored the 2nd. He needs to not play with scrubs.
March and Smith look good together.
Defense in general looks good, actually.
Dats-Richards-Helm is a mix of too slow and too... handsless. If we could make them all one player?
We still got a point against a good team.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Jimmy Howard is 6-19 in shootouts over the last 3 seasons.

YUCK.

Yes, and our shooters aren't to blame at all for any of those. It's ALL on the goalie, if his name is Jimmy Howard, yaknow. Would you like another golfclap?

Tasteslikekevinbacon

Oct 26, 2013
Ontario, canada
Our scorers haven't exactly been driving the bus in the shootout either. I'm not saying he's great in the shootout, but its been an all around effort to do that poorly.

Howie may not be the next Brodeur or Roy but can we stop pretending he's some slouch?

Classicnamesup

MVP Backhand Slapper
Sep 13, 2013
Guru Meditation
That PP was the killer this game, wtf was it doing. Dats-Z-Green-Kronwall. Nobody to put the puck on net.

Very surprised to see how fast Dats offense has dried up, at least Zetterberg is a slow fizzle

As for the shootout, our shooters have been a problem for years. What is a bigger problem is Howard is legendarily bad at shootouts, might be the worst of all time.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Hey Cyborg,

I'm respectfully asking you why you consider Datsyuk a TOP tier player in this league still. I mean it's clearly debatable, and I'm not saying he's completely washed up, but to say he's a top tier star these days seems ridiculisly optimistic

He is still elite when it comes to possessing the puck in the offensive zone. Hell, he might be THE best in that regard. It seems like his playmaking and most of production has dried up though. And I don't think it's coming back.

cnwinger

Feb 22, 2012
Yes, and our shooters aren't to blame at all for any of those. It's ALL on the goalie, if his name is Jimmy Howard, yaknow. Would you like another golfclap?
The numbers don't lie. He's brutal. Everyone knew it was a foregone conclusion once the game went to shootout. That's how bad he is.

Howard is visibly shaken in shootouts. It's in his head.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Goalies FINALLY learned Gus's one and only shootout move.

...Now hopefully he actually learns a few more

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Howard is a bad shootout goalie. 6-19 having said that.

More power plays for the caps please. 2 high sticks not called but Detroit gets called for touching ovechkin that is 3 pp for Detroit and 12 for the caps in their last two games against each other. Its like they are the new Pits and ovy is the new crosby. Same old opponent every night the refs.

theanomaly

you just lost the game
Nov 18, 2010
NJ
send mrazek down the hall to warm-up for shootout when howie is in and ot is starting. :sarcasm:

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Howard is a bad shootout goalie. 6-19 having said that.

More power plays for the caps please. 2 high sticks not called but Detroit gets called for touching ovechkin that is 3 pp for Detroit and 12 for the caps in their last two games against each other. Its like they are the new Pits and ovy is the new crosby. Same old opponent every night the refs.

Officiating was fine. The high stick on Larkin should have been called but other than that, their forecheck gave us fits all night.

We were lucky to come away with a point.

And please don't compare Ovie to Crosby.

Tasteslikekevinbacon

Oct 26, 2013
Ontario, canada
Officiating was fine. The high stick on Larkin should have been called but other than that, their forecheck gave us fits all night.

We were lucky to come away with a point.

And please don't compare Ovie to Crosby.

Also a missed call on a high sticking to Jurco that needed stitches. I dont love complaining about reffing but it was pretty obvious, and there was blood.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
send mrazek down the hall to warm-up for shootout when howie is in and ot is starting. :sarcasm:

They take away your point if you lose while subbing. So subbing in Mrazek is a really crazy move, especially since he will come in cold and be forced to do perhaps the most taxing thing a goalie can do. Pretty sure you forfeit the loser point if you switch goalies even heading into the OT without injury forcing it. Now what would be interesting is to throw him out for the final thirty seconds of regulation and hope he could stretch himself out during the brief intermission some as well. But still I don't like sending him out cold, people would scream bloody murder if he went down to an injury like that.

For the record Washington is easily the best shootout team in the league. If we were under the old rules they would likely throw up something like a 10-1 record in them. Some night somebody would manage to squeak one out. But Holtby is one of the best goalies in the league at them. Oshie is the best shooter we have ever seen at them, Kuz is ridiculous and they have a couple more guys sitting over there that they can throw out as well including Ovie. Good luck playing that team in the shootout... Makes the lazy 4 on 3 PP that much worse.:shakehead

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Maybe the team should win one in regulation?

That might help. How many OT games has this been in a row?

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Datsyuk looked as slow and weak as I can ever remember seeing him play and Helm was handling a grenade all night.

Bring up AA and sit Andy.

Frustrating yet valuable point. Keep them coming in, but more in twos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad