Is history repeating itself with Yzerman/Stamkos?

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
-Plenty cause for concern. Because after next year, Tampa needs to resign everybody including Kucherov who is going to command 9+ million. Tampa has in reality a 1 year window and then they are probably finished.

Their window is more than 1 year, but this year is definitely the best chance they'll have to win. Of course, like Washington they could always win it in a year where they're not the favourites

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
tbh, I think Tampa just needs to pace themselves better this year. They started out fantastic, but wore down as the season went on. Still have them as a top team this coming year.

Stamkos included, needs to save some energy for the playoffs.
How exactly do you save energy for the playoffs? Does that mean purposefully half-assing a bunch of games in the regular season?

Reactions: haveandare

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Yzerman was largely viewed as a bad captain who'd never lead the Red Wings anywhere, that is until he actually did at the age of 32. Now he's the GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning, with a captain that's fast taking on the label of "biggest playoff underachiever" at 28 years old. Should the Lightning stay the course with multiple more Cup runs expected under the leadership of Steven Stamkos, or is there cause for concern with him as the leader?

The bigger issue that was taken with Yzerman is that he wouldn't commit to the whole of the game (not thinking just about offense). Then he decided to buy in and focus more and went on to be a Selke guy.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Lol haha haha , where are all theses people that thought Yzerman was a bad captain? You do know what he is still called here in Detroit right?

The organization had a trade all but completed for Yashin because they felt he couldn't adequately carry them. Not sure if that was before your time or not but it is a well known fact.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Yzerman is fed up with him, doesn't really like him and is super frustrated w his lack of care for the playoffs.

Overheard yzerman and draper hitting golf balls at my club in Detroit Saturday PM. Yzerman giving him one more year, not hesistsnt to move him. The rest of the convo was about yzerman reshaping Tampa at the draft this year, draper will be in front row, come see him, etc, etc

Take for what it's worth.
:rolleyes:

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
How exactly do you save energy for the playoffs? Does that mean purposefully half-assing a bunch of games in the regular season?

You do get tired over the course of a 82 game season + playoffs. And no, you can play games throughout the season just as you would any other game, but can turn it up a notch when the games matter in the playoffs. This is why some players can be pretty middling during the regular season, but can be ppg players during the playoffs. It's a false dilemma to assume that the only options are play your ass off every game and play like shit.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
even with people pointing the contrast to the hate Ovi always got and Stamkos having all but 1 bad elimination games, I've not once heard him as a leader or captain brought up. Just him as a point producer failing

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Yzerman is fed up with him, doesn't really like him and is super frustrated w his lack of care for the playoffs.

Overheard yzerman and draper hitting golf balls at my club in Detroit Saturday PM. Yzerman giving him one more year, not hesistsnt to move him. The rest of the convo was about yzerman reshaping Tampa at the draft this year, draper will be in front row, come see him, etc, etc

I'll take it for *exactly* what it's worth.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
-Plenty cause for concern. Because after next year, Tampa needs to resign everybody including Kucherov who is going to command 9+ million. Tampa has in reality a 1 year window and then they are probably finished.

1 year? BUWAHAHAHAHAHA. Says who?

I would like to take your post seriously but how can I?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009

Have you seen Tampa's cap in 2 years? rofl. They have 1 bottleneck year then are homefree, but I guess your nearsightedness didn't look that far ahead.

Reactions: DownIsTheNewUp

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Tampa in 2020 as it stands only has 31m tied up to good players in Stamkos, Palat, Johnson, Killorn and Hedman. They'll have over 55-60m~ to allocate for the rest of the team. In 2 years time he can almost rebuild the entire team if he wanted to. "1 year window left" hahaha

Last edited:

DownIsTheNewUp

Mar 27, 2017
Tampa

Uh huh. Stamkos has a full no move clause. Wouldn't that cause some hesitation? Nice story though.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
tbh, I think Tampa just needs to pace themselves better this year. They started out fantastic, but wore down as the season went on. Still have them as a top team this coming year.

Stamkos included, needs to save some energy for the playoffs.
I would agree but that same strategy backfired in 16-17 and we didn't even make the playoffs

Reactions: CupsOverCash

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't know why. We should go into 2019 offseason with plenty of capspace unless we make a big splash this year. As of today we have 44million spent into 2019. Figure a cap of 83 or so (and that's a very conservative estimate), so we have 39 million to fill out the roster.

Say 9.5 to Kucherov, Point will either be bridged at around 5 or given a long contract at 7, so we'll call it 16.5. That leaves 22.5 for the last 8 spots. Gourde gets 3? Stralman gets 3.5-4? Cal Foote makes the team on an ELC, Cernak maybe is on the team on a two-way deal. We have young guys like Katchouk, Raddysh, Cirelli, Stephens, and Joseph who will be fighting for bottom 9 spots on ELCs while letting some of the chaff go. We'll have one year left of Callahan's 5.8 which we can buy out or trade.

For like the millionth time in the past 5 seasons, rumors of Tampa Bay's cap crunch are vastly overstated. We keep bringing in great ELC talent that gives us a ton of flexibility, and other than Callahan we don't really have any *bad* contracts (some are less than ideal, but mainly due to their length - not the production of the player).

I don't think we'll make a move for Carlson. Only way I can see us being in cap hell is if Yzerman decides to swing for Karlsson - but some of the pieces going the other way will likely offset that somewhat.

Only thing I disagree with here is Gourde at 3. If he has a 50+ point season, he'll get 4 at the minimum.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
The biggest thing everyone has to remember here is that Yzerman is very good at resigning his players to decent cap hits. He has the team buying into exactly that "Being a Team". So a lot of players are willing to take the bridge or a little less to be competitive. His UFA signings, he has some issues there do to overpaying due to the market. When it comes to resigning I don't think its too far fetched to see some of these players take a little less to keep the team together and competitive. I am not talking like millions less, I am talking like a few hundred thousand. In the way of Gourde, if he does as well as he did this season, he would easily be worth 4.5-5 million. But I can see him around 4-4.2. If everyone does that, it all adds up to extra space.

MrSnrub

May 23, 2010
Some place far away
Yzerman was largely viewed as a bad captain who'd never lead the Red Wings anywhere, that is until he actually did at the age of 32. Now he's the GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning, with a captain that's fast taking on the label of "biggest playoff underachiever" at 28 years old. Should the Lightning stay the course with multiple more Cup runs expected under the leadership of Steven Stamkos, or is there cause for concern with him as the leader?

Time to revisit this? Yzerman is no longer GM, and of course nothing quite like this ever happened when he was with the Red Wings, but now Stamkos and the Lightning have worse playoff reputations than ever.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I admit I didn't watch every single game of the series, but are people really blaming Stamkos?

He's like the only star on Tampa I ever noticed out there.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
The organization had a trade all but completed for Yashin because they felt he couldn't adequately carry them. Not sure if that was before your time or not but it is a well known fact.
That was Bowman, not the organization. Now go look and see what Bowman has to say about him.

Sprague Cleghorn

User Registered
Aug 14, 2013
Edmonton, KY
Even if that's true, and I'm not sure it is, it's 1 more game than any of your other stars, so why single him out as the problem?

Im not a tampa fan, and im pretty sure if you asked most people, he only showed up in game 4. And who said im singling him out? However, out of the stars, hes the only one thats never had a playoff run worthy of his status as a RS player. Stamkos choking goes back long before this year.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Is there cause for concern? We don't know the dynamics of that locker room well enough to judge.

Will he garner a reputation that is negative as a leader should they come up short the next couple years - yes, well at least in these circles.

Amazing how many of the people who judged Ovi the same way are now singing his praises.....

Rational hockey people will judge him on his whole body of work, not just off of this formula.
I'd definitely say there's cause for concern when the team got manhandled by Washington in key games without putting up much of a fight and then got absolutely destroyed by an 8 seed in a year that they had the best regular season ever.

TB doesn't come out ready to play in big moments. That's a coaching issue and it's a leadership issue imo. Look at the start of game 4 - they looked absolutely shocked despite playing this same team using the same strategy 3 games before and despite the axe hanging over them and the threat of a monumental embarrassment. We saw the same thing with NYR. You can't beat good teams if you come out looking like a bunch of strangers playing pick-up. Other teams will be ready to play and even if you get it together at some point, you'll be in a hole by then.

OV's teams fell short but I don't remember them getting absolutely steamrolled and embarrassed like this, and never while he himself was nowhere to be found.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad