Is Greg Millen the new Paul Romanuk?

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
I'm the last guy to complain relentlessly about the play-by-play or colour guy, as you'll essentially hear every single one ripped on by some faction of fans, but am I missing something with this guy? He's pretty brutal at times. The confidence he had in that Kadri kicking goal just now was beyond cringe-worthy - "There's no kicking motion he was just directing the puck in with his skate" - like what?? I find several times a game he's just lost as to what's happening/happened. Sigh, Sportsnet. Sigh.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I thought back in the day 15-20 years ago on CBC as Cuthbert's colour guy he was good. But now its a much different story.

ILoveDraftDay

Feb 14, 2009
I CAN TELL YOU, our guy Millen is an idiot. Watch as Kadri moves his foot to direct the puck, but somehow doesnt kick it, RIIIIIIGHTTTT......... THERE!

HAHAHAHAHA I am so glad I am not the only one that notices Millens exceptional analysis on every single play RIIIIIGGGHHHTT.........THERE!

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
This might be the worst game Millen has EVER called. And that is saying some shit. Absolutely f***ing brutal by him tonight.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Who likes this guy? Like who is writing into Sportsnet singing his praises? As far as I can tell nobody likes or respects him, and yet he still has a gig and a guy like Bowen doesn't. It's truly amazing. Even Healy was better and he lost his job, Millen still around and he's god awful, just brutal. TSN blows these guys away.

Reactions: NoTouchIcing

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Millen was once good. But like all analysts, just run out of constructive things to say. In Millen's case though, it's like he can't even follow the play on the ice anymore. Yes, he should be off the air.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think he's worse. Romanuk's job is just to reference the play, and his gaffs are more humorous than anything. Him saying something wrong doesn't mean I miss something. Millen's job on the other hand is to provide insight, evoke thought, and call attention to things that otherwise might go unnoticed. Instead, he comes across as clueless more often than not.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Between not knowing what's happening, the constant "Riiiiiight THERE" stuff and his tendency to focus on, and talk about, a single point for AGES makes him insufferable. I can't count how many times I've found myself thinking/saying "Oh my God, shut up already" when this idiot talks.

Give me Ray over this guy. Sportsnet has always been the worst for hockey, and it keeps getting worse each season. TSN has been the gold standard for Leafs broadcasts for years.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Millen’s pretty bad at names and terrible at adding any value to replays for as long as I can remember. Over the years, I’ve been as critical of him and Romanuk as much as any other Leafs fan.

With that being said, I find I’ve become more tolerant or indifferent this past season than any season before, on commentary as a whole. Maybe I’m just getting old and life’s lessons have calmed me down, but Millens commentary doesn’t even register with me anymore. It’s comedic more than anything else.

What’s more irritating is when an announcer constantly puts his own odd sayings into the commentary (i.e. Romanuk), and it takes away from the game. It becomes a distraction and feels like the announcer is making it more about him than the game. If it’s just a few saying every now and again that’s fine (eg. Cole’s “woah baby” and Bowen’s “holy mackinaw), but don’t take away from the game with constant, forced, weird catch phrases.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I'm the last guy to complain relentlessly about the play-by-play or colour guy, as you'll essentially hear every single one ripped on by some faction of fans, but am I missing something with this guy? He's pretty brutal at times. The confidence he had in that Kadri kicking goal just now was beyond cringe-worthy - "There's no kicking motion he was just directing the puck in with his skate" - like what?? I find several times a game he's just lost as to what's happening/happened. Sigh, Sportsnet. Sigh.
He was absolutely correct on the Kadri goal. It should have been a goal. He went on to explain that the refs disallowed the goal as Kadri skate was to close to the goalie and the play was deemed dangerous.

I do not like him but he was bang on. I prefer Ray over the works.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad