Is Greg Millen the new Paul Romanuk?

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I'm the last guy to complain relentlessly about the play-by-play or colour guy, as you'll essentially hear every single one ripped on by some faction of fans, but am I missing something with this guy? He's pretty brutal at times. The confidence he had in that Kadri kicking goal just now was beyond cringe-worthy - "There's no kicking motion he was just directing the puck in with his skate" - like what?? I find several times a game he's just lost as to what's happening/happened. Sigh, Sportsnet. Sigh.
he s been saying WILLY is gonna break out soon fot the last 7 games LMAO

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Can they rehire Joe Bowen to do the Leafs region games?I had to listen to the afternoon game on the radio and I've forgotten how great Bowen is.

it's 2019 I'm sure there is a way to sync up the radio call and TV feed, anyone know how?

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Can they rehire Joe Bowen to do the Leafs region games?I had to listen to the afternoon game on the radio and I've forgotten how great Bowen is.

it's 2019 I'm sure there is a way to sync up the radio call and TV feed, anyone know how?

The radio feed is likely a little behind live TV, but I would simply pause your muted TV game after an actionable moment (puck-drop, shot on goal, anything Joe would reference) making sure you've paused it AFTER the event (since whenever Joe references it, it likely has already happened), and just hit play as soon as Joe mentions it happening. Unless you were looking for something more structured or a service, in which case I have no idea..

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Do you have a receiver that has pause/rewind ??? I run my radio audio through my comp and use my receiver to time sync up the game.

I do it for every game and it's pretty easy.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The radio feed is likely a little behind live TV, but I would simply pause your muted TV game after an actionable moment (puck-drop, shot on goal, anything Joe would reference) making sure you've paused it AFTER the event (since whenever Joe references it, it likely has already happened), and just hit play as soon as Joe mentions it happening. Unless you were looking for something more structured or a service, in which case I have no idea..
the radio feed is well behind the TV broadcast , sometimes as much as 90 seconds.

Reactions: hoglund

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Millen has just run of things to say. He gets so excited about the obvious. Time for him to go. And while at lets get rid of Blue Jays Pat Tabler and Raptors Leo Rautins.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I'm the last guy to complain relentlessly about the play-by-play or colour guy, as you'll essentially hear every single one ripped on by some faction of fans, but am I missing something with this guy? He's pretty brutal at times. The confidence he had in that Kadri kicking goal just now was beyond cringe-worthy - "There's no kicking motion he was just directing the puck in with his skate" - like what?? I find several times a game he's just lost as to what's happening/happened. Sigh, Sportsnet. Sigh.

He grates on me so much. Almost every game he develops some early theory then spends the rest of the game prattling on about how right he is. He also manages to sneak in some comment about his own crap NHL career. But it's mostly that he just never shuts the hell up.

As a bonus, most people here probably don't know he used to be the colour guy for Sens games in the early 2000's and he constantly slagged the Leafs whenever they played them (I only know this because my brother lived in New Brunswick at the time and they would get the Sens feed instead of the Leafs).

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
He's always been terrible, but his awfulness was masked by everyone over-the-top hatred for Romanuk and by everyone's over-the-top affection for Joe Bowen.

It's sad that we live in a world where Mike Johnson can't get work as a play-by-play guy but Millen get's Leafs games and HNIC.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
edmonton
And to be fair to Romanuk, new guy John Bartlett makes as many or more mistakes than Romy did. His voice just isn't as grating.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
And to be fair to Romanuk, new guy John Bartlett makes as many or more mistakes than Romy did. His voice just isn't as grating.
They all make mistakes at times.
You ignore announcers you like and take note of ones you hate.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Greg is a Leaf fan. I know that for sure. I listen when he speaks about goalies as he makes astute observation as he is very good with his goalie assessments. The rest of the commentary is just filling air time I pay little attention to it.

For me I simply watch the games and the announcers are just noise. I often wonder just how much people actually pay attention to what they see as they spend far to much time listening to the announcers then watching the game.

I liked Glenn Healy as he was not a cheerleader and at times said what he felt.

I could care less if the colour guy or the announcers are Leaf Fans as I most often watch the away feed on center ice and then watch the intermission of the home feed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad