Is Gostisbehere a Norris contender at the end of this season?

Ghost a Norris contender this season?

• Yes

Votes: 49 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 185 67.0%
  • Borderline

Votes: 42 15.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I hot take'd at one point and said I thought he'd outscore Karlsson at least once in the next 5 seasons. Didn't figure it'd be this one. Of course, Karlsson's situation has a lot to do with it.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I was just about to come post a thread about the kid. Just realized he has 49 point in 56 games. If he didn't have a down season last year there would be so much more hype and attention around the kid.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
I was just about to come post a thread about the kid. Just realized he has 49 point in 56 games. If he didn't have a down season last year there would be so much more hype and attention around the kid.

His "down" year was 7 G 32 A 39 P in 76 games. He has 34 G 100 A 134 P in 199 games over parts of three seasons. Those are really silly numbers. By the end of the year, he's a pretty good bet to be 6th or 7th in D scoring over those three season, despite missing 28 games. He's also 6th in total points from his draft year, and is about to blow by Yakupov for 5th, in far fewer games. If he does this again next year, he'll very likely be third by the end of the season, behind only Forsberg & Galchenyuk.

But his exploits in the offensive zone won't matter, people are always going to (wrongly) think of him as being subpar in his own end, because people are lazy.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
His "down" year was 7 G 32 A 39 P in 76 games. He has 34 G 100 A 134 P in 199 games over parts of three seasons. Those are really silly numbers. By the end of the year, he's a pretty good bet to be 6th or 7th in D scoring over those three season, despite missing 28 games. He's also 6th in total points from his draft year, and is about to blow by Yakupov for 5th, in far fewer games. If he does this again next year, he'll very likely be third by the end of the season, behind only Forsberg & Galchenyuk.

But his exploits in the offensive zone won't matter, people are always going to (wrongly) think of him as being subpar in his own end, because people are lazy.

He was subpar in his own end last year, which is why last year was considered a down year for him. He has shored up his two way game this year and has been fantastic.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
I'd really appreciate if Flyers fans wouldn't say crazy homer shit, it just makes the thread turn into trash.

Ghost has been absolutely great this year on the top pair with Provorov, he should probably get norris consideration, he won't, but that's okay.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Probably not. He doesn't have the name recognition yet. But this season will give him that and improve his chances to get nominations in the future.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Shayne has just as much offensive potential as Klingberg.
Klingberg is the better player overall.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
I don't think he's quite Norris-worthy, but he's certainly playing well enough to bring him into a conversation about best defencemen around the league.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
You can't really forget a name like that.

I mean, he has tons of name recognition (and hands down the coolest nickname in the league), it's just that it's attached to a reputation that he's an offense only player. That's the thing that'll take a while to overcome, if it ever even happens.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
He isn't as good as Klingberg offensively no matter what you think. Klingberg is literally the next Karlsson. And he's absolutely behind Burns too lmao what

I mean Ghost has played a full season less and the difference in their career production is a whopping .04 PPG, this after he had what will probably be one of the worst seasons of his career last year. This season it's .02, a difference of less than 2 points over an 82 game season. I don't really think you have an argument for that. Ghost does more of his scoring on the power play, but he has a better shot and scores more goals.

Both are terrific, but you can't really declare one definitively better than the other on offense at this point.

Last edited:

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
He isn't as good as Klingberg offensively no matter what you think. Klingberg is literally the next Karlsson. And he's absolutely behind Burns too lmao what

I don't think it as clean cut as you make it seem, if you only look at this year.

Gostisbehere has more P/60 (all situations) than Klingberg, Karlsson or Burns. Ghost also has the highest GF%, Rel GF% (both 5v5 and all situations) among the four players.

I'm not saying Ghost is better offensively than the other three guys but, he definitely belongs on that tier.

Reactions: whitstifier

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't think it as clean cut as you make it seem, if you only look at this year.

Gostisbehere has more P/60 (all situations) than Klingberg, Karlsson or Burns. Ghost also has the highest GF%, Rel GF% (both 5v5 and all situations) among the four players.

I'm not saying Ghost is better offensively than the other three guys but, he definitely belongs on that tier.

I absolutely agree, especially given their similar usage.

Klingberg is having a hell of a year and is improving and ascending the d-man rankings, but to pretend he's achieved mythical status while Ghost hasn't is foolish. People are starting the "AINEC" for Klingberg now which is a shame.

Re: the Norris though, Klingberg has done this all year, which is why he's in the conversation. But as far as overall status, there's not a gigantic gap between the two that couldn't be closed.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
He is better defensively without a doubt. Offense is pretty much DEAD EVEN. Gostisbehere is the better defenseman and ill argue he has the edge offensively, goals > secondary assist. Ghost is a far better goal scorer. And again, ghost has been flat out great defensively, Klingberg is sub average by every tangible standard and eye test

MrHeiskanen

Nov 12, 2017
He's behind Karlsson... MAYBE Burns. He's better than Klingberg at everything. Identical PPG and Dallas plays a very heavy offensive style game

Someone hasn't been following Dallas hockey this year. Our coach is Ken Hitchcock mate.

notsocommonsense

Apr 24, 2013

I don't think you can lyao at someone after posting "Klingberg is literally the next Karlsson."

TH1Pool

Apr 22, 2006
Lancaster, PA
Coming here to write anything along the lines of "No way, hahahaha, lol" etc... immediately removes credibility from your opinion. If you watched Ghost this year, you'd see he has a major impact on almost every game. His stats don't lie either.

Probably won't be a Norris finalist, but laughing about the subject is ignorant. He's in his 3rd season and has clearly taken major steps this year. Playing solid D, nasty one-timer, and his shiftiness/skating with the puck is also in the Top 1% of D-men in the world.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Like it or not he is getting close to Norris consideration.

I don't really see how, all he brings is offense. Philly fans might try to spin him being better defensively but he isn't close to the top guys in the league and really likely not even anything more than average.

He is borderline top 10 for Norris consideration, which is great for him and likely higher than he ever will/should be but that isn't really in consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad