Confirmed with Link: Is Glen Sather Stepping Down? [UPDATE: Yes]

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I'm going to go back to something I said at the onset that I can't completely rule out.

Gorton ends up becoming the next president by selling them on his vision, how they are doing things that have never been done before, and that the Rangers are poised to become a top team --- if they allow him to see this vision through.

He sells them on his familiarity with this organization, learning under the wing of the Sather, the respected staff they've put together, and the marketability this team will have with its own homegrown superstar and the money-making rivalries they will have as a result of this draft.

He emerges as "the internal candidate who rose to the occasion, despite an industry-wide search and interest from top names."

Just saying, don't rule it out. I've worked with enough corporate clients, including our beloved Rangers, to know exactly how this messaging could look.
That's pretty much the best case scenario if JD doesn't come. Drury would be promoted to GM or do you think they'll look outside the organization in that case?

Edit you answered that Q in the above post, thanks. Used to be GM did all the duties, not sure when they divided up the President and GM thing.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
That's pretty much the best case scenario if JD doesn't come. Drury would be promoted to GM or do you think they'll look outside the organization in that case?

I don't think Gorton would resign as GM. He waited years for this post and it was essentially promised to him. If he were older, and in the role for 10 years, I think it might be possible. But he never got to see his vision all the way through in Boston and I think doing so with the Rangers is of critical importance for him.

I think Drury is also still learning the ropes, and the Rangers (and others) are going to gauge him by what he does with Hartford, and what he does with the US squad.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Watch Columbus go on a tear now and JD ends up staying there. I'm mostly just happy Yzerman stayed away.

What would Columbus “going on a tear” have any impact on JD’s inevitable departure for New York? This is business. There is no fandom impacting this move.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I think he would wear both hats.

The president role has been held by the GM before --- including both Sather and Smith.

I think there is a benefit to having a few cooks in the kitchen, especially when it comes to the handling of Dolan. I'm not a fan of Sather in the least, but he seems to have done an exemplary job of controlling Dolan and his worst impulses.

I wouldn't be opposed to such a situation, but I do think having a Pres/GM can add significant value assuming you hire the right people and they work well together.

I wouldn't be opposed to letting JG wear both hats for a year and conduct a search for his predecessor.

Reactions: romba

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
What would Columbus “going on a tear” have any impact on JD’s inevitable departure for New York? This is business. There is no fandom impacting this move.
These guys are humans not robots. If he feels pride in the team he helped create and becomes adored in Columbus for it, he's more likely to look at the situation in Columbus positively than if they had a first round exit AGAIN after making the moves they did this year. Not such a crazy concept. It doesn't mean he won't come, but it is definitely not in our favor.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
These guys are humans not robots. If he feels pride in the team he helped create and becomes adored in Columbus for it, he's more likely to look at the situation in Columbus positively than if they had a first round exit AGAIN after making the moves they did this year. Not such a crazy concept. It doesn't mean he won't come, but it is definitely not in our favor.

Disagree. His work there is done. He has strong connections to NY, including his daughter. The perfect final professional stop. The timing couldn’t be more ideal.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Disagree. His work there is done. He has strong connections to NY, including his daughter. The perfect final professional stop. The timing couldn’t be more ideal.
I hear that. But would you agree with the following:

First round exit for Columbus and they make big changes most likely. Coach, GM, President all probably would be canned and JD falls right into our lap. Now it's looking more likely JD will have to resign if he wants to come here which adds a caveat that doesn't help us.

Sure, the day Columbus is eliminated or wins it all he can step down and come here, but how often does something like that happen in the NHL with Coaches, GM, President? Not so often. It's possible and I'm hoping for it, I'm just not nearly as confident as you are.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
The more I think about it, the more I'd like the Rangers to interview a few young executive types. Not just wait for JD. I wouldn't mind looking into a few Theo Epstein types. Someone who can come in and take a wholistic approach to building out the infrastructure for prospect development and who can be a salary cap whiz. A really brainiac, executive type that can leave the hockey evaluations to Gorton and co. I don't care so much about the metrics aspect. But I do care about modernizing the organization and not just relying on perfect drafting and Quinn. And that includes the training approaches. We need to turn the Fontaines, Days and Gettingers of the world into NHL players. Even if they don't play with the Rangers they can be traded for other assets.

Reactions: DaBadGuy7

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
The more I think about it, the more I'd like the Rangers to interview a few young executive types. Not just wait for JD. I wouldn't mind looking into a few Theo Epstein types. Someone who can come in and take a wholistic approach to building out the infrastructure for prospect development and who can be a salary cap whiz. A really brainiac, executive type that can leave the hockey evaluations to Gorton and co. I don't care so much about the metrics aspect. But I do care about modernizing the organization and not just relying on perfect drafting and Quinn. And that includes the training approaches. We need to turn the Fontaines, Days and Gettingers of the world into NHL players. Even if they don't play with the Rangers they can be traded for other assets.

That’s the direction they should be going, but with Sather and his arrogant, insular old school ways, I don’t see them doing that. Rangers are run too old school, old boys clubish. The lack of progressive, forward thinking as a organization has really hurt them imo before they decided to re-build. Hopefully whoever the President allow Gorton to continue to run and re-build the whole Hockey Operations department into the modern era.

emodwarf

Oct 12, 2009
Boston. Sucks.
I never felt Yzerman was a real option...and I wouldn’t doubt that the Rangers have done other work on the position that they are not sharing with Larry. Sure JD is the first choice. Everyone knows that. Most wisened people also know that you need a fallback plan.

Yeah, if anything, I wouldn't be surprised if that Brooks article was an ego stroke or signal to JD "you're our guy." Maybe someone intentionally and casually mentioned JD is the only candidate right now, so Brooks would do what they could count on him to do: piss about it in ink.

All while the Rangers do their due diligence on other candidates in the background just in case. The Rangers (especially with Gorton as GM) aren't going to miss such a crucial step in their search for a President.

Reactions: bobbop

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
I'm going to go back to something I said at the onset that I can't completely rule out.

Gorton ends up becoming the next president by selling them on his vision, how they are doing things that have never been done before, and that the Rangers are poised to become a top team --- if they allow him to see this vision through.

He sells them on his familiarity with this organization, learning under the wing of the Sather, the respected staff they've put together, and the marketability this team will have with its own homegrown superstar and the money-making rivalries they will have as a result of this draft.

He emerges as "the internal candidate who rose to the occasion, despite an industry-wide search and interest from top names."

Just saying, don't rule it out. I've worked with enough corporate clients, including our beloved Rangers, to know exactly how this messaging could look.
I’m fine with Gorton. Do you think he would keep dual roles if elevated to President? (GM)

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Brooks doesn't like Gorton's rebuild. He doesn't like how Gorton views every player as a trade asset. Brooks has written about that. Brooks would have paid Miller and Hayes. He would also pay Kreider. He doesn't like the idea of being patient and added players when the team is ready to win. He calls it a self fulfilling prophesy. Dave Maloney espouses that philosophy and Brooks listed him as a possibility for the job. Go figure that one. Brooks wrote about the Islanders this week. He likes how they are mostly a veteran team and have a few young players on the roster.

He wants the next president to basically run the team and make a decision on everything. The vision of the team. The GM. He mentions Brendan Shanahan. Brooks acts like Shanahan invented the game. Shanahan gave Babcock an 8 year contract. He hired Lamoriello, Hunter and Dubas. The only one left is Dubas. The Leafs won the lottery in 2016. Shanahan came in and fired everyone. The Rangers aren't the 2014 Maple Leafs.

Brooks wrote Yzerman was interested in the Rangers president's job. I saw Yzerman's press conference. The Wings asked for permission to speak with him in early March. TB immediate granted permission to Detroit. Yzerman couldn't stop talking about his love for the Red Wings and Michigan. Yzerman had many discussions with the Red Wings. How was Yzerman interested in the Rangers job in early April when he had already talked numerous times to Chris Illitch and Kenny Holland about becoming the Wings boss? Yzerman wants to be THE GM. Not the team president.

Hartford is a disaster. The Rangers fired the coaching staff. They have to get that situation right.

This idea about the Rangers talking to as many people as possible about gathering intel on the Rangers operation is whack. Who are they supposed to speak with to gather intel? Al Murray picked the players in TB. Yzerman inherited Stamkos and Hedman. They got Kucherov in the 2nd round because of the Russian factor. Teams were scared on the KHL and their money. Other failed executives? Someone who has never held a position in management?

Whatever.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Wonder why we haven't heard Graves name mentioned in all of this.

Why would we? He has no experience. There is always speculation that the Rangers will go the route of some glorified alumni, but that is never the case. Messier, Richter, Leetch, Graves. Good players don't make good executives. The Rangers, since Sather, have always stuck to a blueprint that models a business, not a retirement home (off the ice).

Drury is marinating. He has an opportunity to prove himself in the coming years with Hartford and Team USA. Leetch, Messier, Richter, Graves, who knows what they were offered, but they are not doing anything. I believe it was reported Messier didn't want a secondary position. That aligns with his rumored ego. He's not going to jump into team Pres or GM with the Rangers. Maybe Edmonton.

Gorton is doing things the right way. He's completely revamped our system in 1.5 years. He turned countless aging players into young, valuable assets. Which trade has turned out bad?

Nash - Retired
Miller - Tampa is reportedly looking to trade him.
Stepan - Huge decline and overpaid
McDonagh - Decent year, but has clearly lost a step.

With Kaako and some savvy FA signings/trades, the Rangers can be competitive sooner rather than later. Gorton has been groomed by Sather as his protege forever. Bringing someone in who in who dramatically alters their current vision would be an enormous mistake. Sather and Gorton won't let that happen. They run the show and Dolan trusts them.

Reactions: jas

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If there’s one consistent about the Rangers management style, it’s that they like people to make their bones in the front office before they put them in the critical positions.

Gorton served a long apprenticeship, and Drury is getting tons of hands-on experience.

The Rangers haven’t shown an inclination to hire someone based on name value alone.

I think if someone like Messier, Graves, Richter or Leetch wanted to pursue a front office career, the Rangers would love to bring them on board. But it would be with the understanding that they are going to spend several years learning the business - from amateur scouting, to pro scouting, to financials and data. And then they’re going to start taking an active role in assembling Hartford, before they start helping to assemble the Rangers.

From all reports, Drury has and continues to put in a ton of work. That’s a guy who is pursuing a career and will have one.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004

Brooks wants the Rangers to hire someone to tell Gorton what to do.

Crazy.

This article is basically "the Rangers better get JD because they haven't interviewed anyone else yet." Thanks Larry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad