Is Francouz better than Grubauer?

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
Obviously I want both tendys performing at a high level, but given the circumstances, I'd prefer Grubs to be the one to take hold of the starting spot and stick around the team simply because of the the potential for opportunity lost with Frankie taking over. We NEED Grubs to be the better tender and although he's been average the last month and half, he seems to have picked it up going into the ASG break.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
As a finance / numbers person, I am tempted think through your wins per $ spent... or basically, what is the better “bang for buck”. That said, with what we are paying for both, we should (a) be re-signing Frank, all day., and (b) keeping Grubauer, because he is more proven, and this is long run game. We lock up both, can always trade Gruby Tuesdays for a solid backup + prospects to a team that needs goaltending. Do we gamble in-season? Heck no. In the off-season, if we can make something happen, I’m all for jettisoning Grubauer for a goalie prospect +.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I think Avs should give Franky a 3 year deal low AAV and move Grubi after his next hot streak or in the off-season / early start to next year. Try to get max value for him and trade him before he hits UFA trying to get his 4-5+ year deal. Right now it's most possible that people aren't aware of his streakiness so hopefully we move him before others catch on. Recover our 2nd or something.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Even if he is a dick, who cares? If he can stop the puck at an average level they will be (and we should be) perfectly fine with him.
Unfortunately he can’t stop the puck at an average level.

Plus he’s a dick lol

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Unfortunately he can’t stop the puck at an average level.

This is incorrect. He's been significantly above average as a backup and was above average last year. This year he's currently exactly at the league average. Frank has been good but hasn't proven to be able to play a starters role yet.

Reactions: hooverdam

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This is incorrect. He's been significantly above average as a backup and was above average last year. This year he's currently exactly at the league average. Frank has been good but hasn't proven to be able to play a starters role yet.
Neither has Grubauer.

I don’t understand why people keep arguing that Frank hasn’t proven enough to be a starter. I get that it’s true, but why do people neglect that Grubauer also hasn’t despite being put in that role for quite some time now.

Can Frank be a starter? Who knows. What we do know is that Grubauer can’t so why do we not give the other guy an opportunity. Worst case he’s bad like Grubauer and we need to look elsewhere. At least then we’ll know.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Neither has Grubauer.

I don’t understand why people keep arguing that Frank hasn’t proven enough to be a starter. I get that it’s true, but why do people neglect that Grubauer also hasn’t despite being put in that role for quite some time now.

Can Frank be a starter? Who knows. What we do know is that Grubauer can’t so why do we not give the other guy an opportunity. Worst case he’s bad like Grubauer and we need to look elsewhere. At least then we’ll know.

You gotta put trust in the guy that single handedly got you into the playoffs last year and then played at a very high level in said playoffs. That also isn't me saying that Frank has also look like a sieve in 4 of his last 5 games. Just like Grubauer.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
It's going to be hilarious when Grubauer turns it on again and the posters here who have decided he's worthless have to eat shit. Just like last year.

People are just so damn reactive to goalies. Grubauer has a stretch of bad games: He sucks forever and should honestly retire. Francouz has a handful of good games: You're my boy. You're my number one boy.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It's going to be hilarious when Grubauer turns it on again and the posters here who have decided he's worthless have to eat ****. Just like last year.

People are just so damn reactive to goalies. Grubauer has a stretch of bad games: He sucks forever and should honestly retire. Francouz has a handful of good games: You're my boy. You're my number one boy.
A stretch of bad games? You think this is just a stretch of bad games by Grubauer? Grubauer has had more stretches of bad games than stretches of good games in an Avs uniform.

Nobody thinks Francouz is god. Everyone just realizes Grubauer certainly isn’t and it’s best to give the other guy a shot before we looks for help externally.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
You gotta put trust in the guy that single handedly got you into the playoffs last year and then played at a very high level in said playoffs. That also isn't me saying that Frank has also look like a sieve in 4 of his last 5 games. Just like Grubauer.
We’re obviously just on two different pages with Grubauer. I refuse to count on a goaltender who had one stretch of 15-20 good games in his entire body of work with this team and try to pretend that he’s capable of making that the regular.

Fans here do that all the time. They take the highs of players and pretend like that’s the player we’ll have all the time. Grubauer is a vezina caliber goalie, Zadorov is an elite shutdown defenseman and Jost is a playoff warrior. We’ll use those small sample sizes to convince ourselves we can expect it all the time when the truth points to those being the minor outliers as opposed to the norm.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
We’re obviously just on two different pages with Grubauer. I refuse to count on a goaltender who had one stretch of 15-20 good games in his entire body of work with this team and try to pretend that he’s capable of making that the regular.

Fans here do that all the time. They take the highs of players and pretend like that’s the player we’ll have all the time. Grubauer is a vezina caliber goalie, Zadorov is an elite shutdown defenseman and Jost is a playoff warrior. We’ll use those small sample sizes to convince ourselves we can expect it all the time when the truth points to those being the minor outliers as opposed to the norm.

Grubauer is in every sense of the word is an average nhl goalie. But people here are treating him like he’s some AHL guy. It’s just ridiculous.

Reactions: hooverdam

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Grubauer is in every sense of the word is an average nhl goalie. But people here are treating him like he’s some AHL guy. It’s just ridiculous.
Yeah he probably is average. The numbers suggest slightly below average but still fair. He’s a negative GSAA. He’s an NHL’er no doubt. But you don’t win with that level of goaltending.

I’m not saying demote him to the AHL. I’m saying the Avs need someone better if they want to win championships.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah he probably is average. The numbers suggest slightly below average but still fair. He’s a negative GSAA. He’s an NHL’er no doubt. But you don’t win with that level of goaltending.

I’m not saying demote him to the AHL. I’m saying the Avs need someone better if they want to win championships.
And if he posts a .925 in the playoffs again this year than I won’t care about his regular season performance as much.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Me thinks that the Avs are playing the hot contract instead of the hot goaltender. When Francouz is between the pipes the Avs are a amazing 12 wins and 4 losses. He is getting $ 925,000 for just this year and its the only year on his contract. Grubauer has a cap hit of $ 3,333,333 for this year and next year while getting a salary of $3,900,000 this year. He has a losing record this year of 14 wins and 15 losses. 12 and 4 versus 14 and 15. Amazing and it is staring everyone in the face.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
A stretch of bad games? You think this is just a stretch of bad games by Grubauer? Grubauer has had more stretches of bad games than stretches of good games in an Avs uniform.

Nobody thinks Francouz is god. Everyone just realizes Grubauer certainly isn’t and it’s best to give the other guy a shot before we looks for help externally.

I really think his issues have been overblown. He’s not losing games for the Avs. He’s not making timely saves either, and I’m not going to lie and say he’s not struggling right now, but I’m not ready to run him out of town over it. Goalies go through this kind of thing. They are streaky and weird and just as I don’t trust when goalies get super hot and go on a crazy run, I also don’t condemn them when they go through rough patches. Usually, the true performance of the goalie lies somewhere between those types of runs.

I’m fine with Grubauer’s mean. I don’t think the Avs need goalies to steal games for them. He needs to be better than he has been, but not by as much as you’re suggesting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad