Is Francouz better than Grubauer?

jimmysheva

Mar 16, 2014
Francouz: .929 sv%, 2.32 GAA
Grubauer: .909 sv%, 2.92 GAA

Grubauer seems to get lit up more often. I've only recalled 1 bad game from Francouz (against Minnesota). Otherwise he's been solid.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Certainly seems that way. Plenty of these small sample size goalies look great until they have to take on the work load and pressure of being a full time starter so Frankie may not be for real. However, Grubauer appears to fall under that category too.

Reactions: LTC Pain

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Absolutely, not really a contest either.

Francouz could start struggling if the Avs made him the starter, but he could also be outstanding. There is only one way to know but the Avs haven't been interested to find out, instead they rather claim Grubauer is the answer even if he gives up soft goals and gets more losses than wins.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
Healthy Grubauer is better but right now in their current forms Francouz is better. I don't get it why they have rush Grubauer after injury like they did with Varly last year. Francouz should get all the minutes until Grubauer is good to go.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
The sample sizes are too small either way. Grubauer looks to be a peaks and valleys kind of goalie but this is still technically his first full year as a starter, so I want to see what his overall performance evens out to over time.

Francouz has proven no more than Grubauer at this point in their careers: excellent in spurts, a question mark over time. From what we’ve seen, you can start to form a picture of Francouz as a goalie that can steal games even if the team struggles, whereas Grubauer seems to need an excellent team performance in front of him to also excel (but I don’t think he’s outright losing games for the team like he and Varlamov did for a stretch last season). It’s still too soon to make conclusions like that either way though.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
a) Grubauer was fantastic last year down the stretch and in the playoffs. We likely go down 2-0 to Calgary without him

b) Grubauer has not been fantastic lately, and its time for a message to be sent. We have a great 1B option in Francouz, and it might be time to more explore that further if we don't want to lose him

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think Grubs has a higher ceiling and when he is healthy and on top of his game, he's clearly the better goalie. He's got much better rebound control, bigger, more athletic, etc. The problem now is he looks like he's still hurt, and he also isn't super strong mentally. I think Frank is a rather average goalie, but his compete and mental game are off the charts good. Frank will have bad games when the defense can't clear and teams grind down possession on the Avs. He gives up too many rebounds and isn't athletic enough to cover his small frame. When the Avs can get the puck out consistently, Frank is going to play awesome. He will battle his ass off to ensure the Avs have a chance to win. I think I'd like to keep them as a tandem long-term... right now, Grubs should sit and Frank should play until the All Star break.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think Grubs has a higher ceiling and when he is healthy and on top of his game, he's clearly the better goalie. He's got much better rebound control, bigger, more athletic, etc. The problem now is he looks like he's still hurt, and he also isn't super strong mentally. I think Frank is a rather average goalie, but his compete and mental game are off the charts good. Frank will have bad games when the defense can't clear and teams grind down possession on the Avs. He gives up too many rebounds and isn't athletic enough to cover his small frame. When the Avs can get the puck out consistently, Frank is going to play awesome. He will battle his ass off to ensure the Avs have a chance to win. I think I'd like to keep them as a tandem long-term... right now, Grubs should sit and Frank should play until the All Star break.

Huh, I would think Frank has the edge in athleticism, dude's always having to make some pretty acrobatic moves to cover the net and make up for some fundamental flaws in his game.

Groob, when he's on his game, is better than Frankie. The Avs have done a remarkable job of playing to Frankie's strengths though. I still say that in some ways they play better because THEY KNOW they have to have someone in the slot area to clear out rebounds, and they actually use it as a means to break it out of the zone straight up the middle, which is actually the most efficient way to do things. One problem with their usual breakout scheme is that they're way too dependent on trying to chip it out along the boards and the opposition knows this, and they pile bodies right at the blue line, which has led to a ton of turnovers and extended time spent in the defensive zone. They do this less with Frankie in net.

One very alarming flaw in Frankie's game right now is that he's displaying a real vulnerability tracking shooters on his right side who are coming in with speed. Don't know what that is but he's been beat very easily by both Victor Rask and Anders Lee. Admittedly the Lee shot was screened and slightly deflected, but both were eerily similar. The issue with Grubauer right now is that he's losing his ability to track the puck through traffic. Two times now there were shots from the point where he wasn't set or anywhere close to where the puck ended up. I'm not sure what's going through his head when he's doing that, but I hope the Avs work with him on it.

Bottom line, this is a good goaltending tandem, and the Avs and Parkkila should be commended for getting it to work as well as it has. There are a few people panicking a bit and all I have to say is, even the reigning Vezina Trophy winner looked like hot garbage to start the season (now he looks locked in). Goaltending is a haphazard and prone to random happenstance, unless you have a generational talent between the pipes like Patrick Roy, which no one has right now.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
If you're an advanced stats person, Francouz has a GSAA (goals saved above average) of 11.51, which is 8th in the NHL. Grubauer is at a 0.70, which is 29th in the NHL. And in case you're wondering, Martin Jones is dead last with a -15.14 GSAA.

Grubauer is definitely starting if the playoffs started today. He had ice in his veins last post-season, which Avalanche fans can appreciate following a decade of having a top-10(ish) goalie who would crumple under the pressure of playoff hockey.

But far as a night in and night out guy, a year and a half into his Avalanche career, Grubauer hasn't proven he can do it. Far from it.

On the flip side, we all knew Francouz had really high end upside based on what he did in the KHL and he's proving that he's a starting goalie in the NHL. He's definitely earned the 1B role he's in, and right now deserves most starts. Honestly I'm going to be concerned if Sakic doesn't extend him this summer.

Reactions: Pokecheque

wayninja

Bednar's Tailor
Mar 24, 2017
It depends on if you look at it subjectively or objectively.

Subjectively, the better goalie is Frank. He has more mobility and reaction time, is clearly better on the wrap arounds, and just looks more comfortable out there.

But objectively... Frankie is also better. By a good long margin.

So... frankie.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Grubauer really kicked it into high gear last year when the games had the season/playoffs on the line. We haven't seen Frank in that position yet. I'll gladly have both.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Grubauer completely shit the bed this time last year as well. I certainly hope that isn't becoming a trend, because he won't be a starter long if that's the case. If I'm Joe Sakic, I'm re-signing Francouz to a 2-3 year deal, and letting the competition work itself out, because Grubauer hasn't convinced me he's a true #1 goalie yet.

JH21

Oct 20, 2019
I'm thinking it was a bad decision to let Varlamov go.

15W, 5L, 3T
2.30 GAA
.924 SV %
2 SO

He is on pace to be a Vezina finalist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad