Is Francouz better than Grubauer?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I mostly agree with this but my point was that in that first tweet he seemed to blame his problems with the amount of shots against. I was just showing that it was not the case during his last 10 starts. Maybe he didn't mean that but it came across as blaming his bad results for his teammates letting in too many shots on goals. I would have not have any problem with the accuracy of his comment if he would have said that the team was giving up too many quality scoring chances. I would still have had a problem with him not taking accountability on the team results though. His comment on the last tweet seems to show more accountability though but that tweet was not available when I made my original post of this subject.

With regard to your point as I said I mostly agree. The SV% usually increases with more shots because more often than not the team shoots more from everywhere which means more low quality shots.

Most of the native Germans that I know tend to be very blunt and don't speak in cliches well. They just state something and our NA norms of hockey player statements don't really jive with how Germans normally speak. It sounds worse than it really is IMO.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Francouz's Save Percentage (.929) is currently third in the NHL.

It hasn't really been the same test though. He's only played eight more games, but outside of that stretch where Grubauer was injured, he's been played in a starters role, and Franky's been played in a backup role against weaker competition, and teams in the East who the Avs are better at beating than anyone else in the West.

I don't like how Grubauer tends to shift the blame on occasion in interviews, but I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt that it could be a language issue, or at least in this case I don't know the context. Meaning what Dater asked him to set up that answer.

I don't think Francouz has outplayed Grubie yet. Franky's had 3 or 4 pretty bad games this year too. They've both had their ups and downs but Grubauer has faced the bigger test, and made a ton of big saves to bail out his teammates so far this year.

Reactions: ETTHAKING67

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
If Johnson had said that stuff about giving up too many shots per game, everyone would be praising his leadership and honesty, even though his job is actually to stop shots against. Grubauer's comments just seemed like a more specific "we all have to be better" than most North Americans would trot out, but he's just the demon of the month.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
If Johnson had said that stuff about giving up too many shots per game, everyone would be praising his leadership and honesty, even though his job is actually to stop shots against. Grubauer's comments just seemed like a more specific "we all have to be better" than most North Americans would trot out, but he's just the demon of the month.

Yeah, the whole "Grubauer is a bad teammate" sentiment came out of nowhere. It's amazing how fast some people can turn on a guy.

Reactions: hooverdam

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Especially considering the end of that he talks about the whole team has to be on the same page to be successful and that starts with the goalie.

Reactions: hooverdam

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Neither one of them is good right now. Combination of soft goals and not enough big saves at key times.

One of them needs to wake the eff up or this could end up in the most disappointing season in a long time. They are no longer a lock to make the playoffs with the standings so bunched up and only a two point lead.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Francouz has lost three in a row, but one of them (a 1-0 loss to the Islanders) was hardly his fault.

He definitely deserves more starts. Grubauer is now down to a .909 SV%, and is 2-5-2 with a .897 SV% and ~3.22ish GAA since returning from his most recent injury in December.

I know Bednar won’t give Francouz five starts in a row, but he should get the next 2-3.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's almost as if starting goalie was a huge question marked called out as our biggest issue going into the season...

Absolutely. It was the biggest question mark heading into the season that had the capability to sink the team, no matter how well any of the other players and team aspects performed.

They were both doing well for a while, but then each had a couple sub par games, and that snowballed into like 4 or 5 each this year. If that's a whole season than it's manageable, but they need to not have 4 or 5 each in the second half of the season too.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's almost as if starting goalie was a huge question marked called out as our biggest issue going into the season...

Of course it was, though I think they did precisely what they needed to do to address it the last two years.

They traded for a reliable backup who's shown signs he could be a good starter. I don't think they had any illusions he could be anything other than a 1A-type guy who had to tandem with another solid netminder. They also went out and got one of the best, if not the best goalie not playing in the NHL.

You look at what other teams did, like Florida, who sunk a giant portion of their cap space the next seven years in a Vezina-winning goalie, only to have him implode the first year of that deal. Even backups are a tricky business. There wasn't a better backup available when Buffalo snagged Carter Hutton (at least I don't think) and since then he has imploded. Meanwhile, Carolina takes a chance on 35-year-old Curtis McElhinney and it's a genius move.

Should they have looked a little harder to shore up the depth between the pipes? Probably. But so far Werner has been quite the find for the Avs/Eagles, and Miska has done fine as the 1B/backup in the minors. The Bibeau move...was not wise, however.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Of course it was, though I think they did precisely what they needed to do to address it the last two years.

They traded for a reliable backup who's shown signs he could be a good starter. I don't think they had any illusions he could be anything other than a 1A-type guy who had to tandem with another solid netminder. They also went out and got one of the best, if not the best goalie not playing in the NHL.

You look at what other teams did, like Florida, who sunk a giant portion of their cap space the next seven years in a Vezina-winning goalie, only to have him implode the first year of that deal. Even backups are a tricky business. There wasn't a better backup available when Buffalo snagged Carter Hutton (at least I don't think) and since then he has imploded. Meanwhile, Carolina takes a chance on 35-year-old Curtis McElhinney and it's a genius move.

Should they have looked a little harder to shore up the depth between the pipes? Probably. But so far Werner has been quite the find for the Avs/Eagles, and Miska has done fine as the 1B/backup in the minors. The Bibeau move...was not wise, however.

Really Bob imploded last year... people just didn't want to admit it.

I really don't think the Avs need more than an average goalie to contend. Lately they haven't gotten that. Grubs has shown he can be above average, even good for stretches... he also shows stretches of bad play. Frank has shown some good play, but right when the Avs seem ready to let him run with the job, he has a stinker of a game. Either one will step up, or the Avs have to address this in the summer.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Trinstin

Oct 30, 2009
Denver, CO
This comment is extremely troubling to me.

I know Grubauer has never been touted as a great teammate, but these kinds of comments can start a rift in the team.

If Franky continues to play better, and Grubauer keeps making excuses, I say, start giving Frank more starts.

Can’t say I have a lot of love for Gru after hearing this.

Agreed. Gru might be the better goalie in clutch situations but if he's a dick I'd rather we find someone who's as good but not a dick, goalies really aren't that hard to find.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Agreed. Gru might be the better goalie in clutch situations but if he's a dick I'd rather we find someone who's as good but not a dick, goalies really aren't that hard to find.
1) this notion of Grub being a dick is super overblown
2) there’s probably a few dudes on the team who are total dicks, doesn’t mean we should trade them.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Grubs is an average starter and he's fine enough, but anything north of 4 years or 6 mil will be a mistake.

With that being said, Francouz isn't any better. He's more consistent, but he's not better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad