Is Francouz better than Grubauer?

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I'm thinking it was a bad decision to let Varlamov go.

15W, 5L, 3T
2.30 GAA
.924 SV %
2 SO

He is on pace to be a Vezina finalist.
A lot of us expected Varly to have a very good season because of Trotz and his system. No surprise there.

As for Bednar's decision on how to utilize his goalies I totally agree.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm thinking it was a bad decision to let Varlamov go.

15W, 5L, 3T
2.30 GAA
.924 SV %
2 SO

He is on pace to be a Vezina finalist.

Sakic made his decision on whether or not Varly was here long term by acquiring Grub and had to stick by it.

Plus the way the Islanders/Trotz play highly inflate goalie stats.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
They are both elite. and as a tandem, they are league leaders. I don't think one being better than the other is that important.

We are very, very lucky, and I hope Seattle don't take one.

Reactions: Miri

twostroke27

Oct 12, 2011
I'd say recently yes. I've said this a billion times, but Frankie's rebound control is horrific. That being said, at least hes stopping them which is more than I can say for grubauer as of late. Overall, when grubauer is on, hes the better goaltender and it's not close. The question is how often he's going to be off because this is two seasons in a row where he's been concerning.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think that's too big a deal (he said similar stuff last year) but I don't love it either.

And I do think they give up shots in high-danger areas. It's definitely a problem, what he's saying is not off-base, but I still don't like the implication here.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

The day Grubauer takes any semblance of blame will be the day I marry Nina Agdal.

This comment is extremely troubling to me.

I know Grubauer has never been touted as a great teammate, but these kinds of comments can start a rift in the team.

If Franky continues to play better, and Grubauer keeps making excuses, I say, start giving Frank more starts.

Can’t say I have a lot of love for Gru after hearing this.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm not concerned.....yet. We just saw the same thing last season. Grubauer went through a bad stretch, made some comments that came off poorly, and then he eventually played lights out and everything was fine.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That’s a bullshit comment. Varly certainly never complained under much worse conditions. We wrecked the last two teams we played in HDCF. Gru was saved by inches from allowing another long shot from the point last game. Make saves or get out.

I hope he clarifies that comment tomorrow. He should be feeling a lot of heat from it.

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
That’s a bull**** comment. Varly certainly never complained under much worse conditions. We wrecked the last two teams we played in HDCF. Gru was saved by inches from allowing another long shot from the point last game. Make saves or get out.

I hope he clarifies that comment tomorrow. He should be feeling a lot of heat from it.
If Patrick Roy in his heyday said this then fine he has clout and hes literally carried teams to Stanley Cups but this is Phillip f***in Grubauer a guy whose been a career back up and is shitting the bed when finally given the chance to be a number 1.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

The day Grubauer takes any semblance of blame will be the day I marry Nina Agdal.

Not only I hate these type of comments when a player is not being accountable but his comment is also very wrong. His best SV% in his past 10 games have been when the Avs have allowed 39, 39 and 40 shots against. The other times were more normal amount of shots and he did much worse. Really looks to me that your problem isn't the amount of shots, Gru! Try again.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Grubauer’s play is the 800 pound gorilla in the room. He is no longer good, or even “Grud”....he is Grodd

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
If Patrick Roy in his heyday said this then fine he has clout and hes literally carried teams to Stanley Cups but this is Phillip ****in Grubauer a guy whose been a career back up and is ****ting the bed when finally given the chance to be a number 1.

So true.

There’s a different attitude between the two.

Roy relished the opportunity to be the guy who won the game for his team. He wanted to be THE difference maker. The dude didn’t care if he had to stop 50 shots because he thirsted to be the best.

Comments like this are either selfish, or show mental weakness from Grubauer. As a goalie, you should have the mentality that you’re so good, you don’t need any help.

Last edited:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He did take some accountability...

Sometimes I wonder how much of what he says is due to poor self-translation. When you mentally translate things before saying them the result is often more "raw" than it would be in your native language (mainly due to having a much more limited vocabulary). I know because I'm personally guilty of this. When foreign players keep saying clichés it's not an issue but when they try to explain a situation it's much harder. Gru being German he gets the benefit of the doubt.

If it's not that then he is not a good teammate and we have to start thinking about replacing him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not only I hate these type of comments when a player is not being accountable but his comment is also very wrong. His best SV% in his past 10 games have been when the Avs have allowed 39, 39 and 40 shots against. The other times were more normal amount of shots and he did much worse. Really looks to me that your problem isn't the amount of shots, Gru! Try again.

There is a lot of evidence to back up the idea that as shots increase SV% increases with goalies. Naturally 2-3 goals will go in a game, but the difference in letting in 3 on 30 and 3 on 36 is .016... or the difference between a very good goalie and a below average goalie.

I think Grubs has some issues in navigating hockey talk because he's German.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
There is a lot of evidence to back up the idea that as shots increase SV% increases with goalies. Naturally 2-3 goals will go in a game, but the difference in letting in 3 on 30 and 3 on 36 is .016... or the difference between a very good goalie and a below average goalie.

I think Grubs has some issues in navigating hockey talk because he's German.
I mostly agree with this but my point was that in that first tweet he seemed to blame his problems with the amount of shots against. I was just showing that it was not the case during his last 10 starts. Maybe he didn't mean that but it came across as blaming his bad results for his teammates letting in too many shots on goals. I would have not have any problem with the accuracy of his comment if he would have said that the team was giving up too many quality scoring chances. I would still have had a problem with him not taking accountability on the team results though. His comment on the last tweet seems to show more accountability though but that tweet was not available when I made my original post of this subject.

With regard to your point as I said I mostly agree. The SV% usually increases with more shots because more often than not the team shoots more from everywhere which means more low quality shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad