Is Expansion something the WHL would consider at this time?

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Now that I've read the Nanaimo article more closely...

What?

Am I missing a Canadian trend here? That's pretty much avoided in America these days. Private owner of arena collecting rent rather than actually owning the team? That practically doesn't happen anymore.

The Rockets are owned by Bruce Hamilton, the arena is owned by RG Properties. That's the only one I can think of though.

phillipsj89

Jan 9, 2012
Canada
The Rockets are owned by Bruce Hamilton, the arena is owned by RG Properties. That's the only one I can think of though.

Well, It is pretty much Nanaimo's only option. City can't come up with the dough, and it likely wouldn't pass a referendum to have the money borrowed.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Well, It is pretty much Nanaimo's only option. City can't come up with the dough, and it likely wouldn't pass a referendum to have the money borrowed.

But who wants to pay the rent in this situation?

If someone has a pre-arranged deal and is getting a cut of something, that's one thing. If they're counting on Kootenay ownership to dive right in? I'm not seeing it.

arsmaster*

But who wants to pay the rent in this situation?

If someone has a pre-arranged deal and is getting a cut of something, that's one thing. If they're counting on Kootenay ownership to dive right in? I'm not seeing it.

They're probably expecting the current Junior A Clippers ownership to hop on the WHL train.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Aw, somebody beat me to it. :soap:

Anyway, I did an expansion idea on my deviantART scrapbook page. Basically, I expanded to Abbotsford, BC in the BC division and Tacoma, WA in the US division. Tacoma would play in the Tacomadome temporarily while a smaller, hockey-shaped arena similar to what the Seattle Thunderbirds play in or the Abbotsford Centre is. But that's just my idea.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Kent, WA, home of the Thunderbirds, is 18 miles from Tacoma. Why would an expansion team go there?

I know it's just an idea, I just can't see three American WHL teams in a 100km span.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Kent, WA, home of the Thunderbirds, is 18 miles from Tacoma. Why would an expansion team go there?

I know it's just an idea, I just can't see three American WHL teams in a 100km span.

Yeah, I think the combo of Seattle moving 15 miles to the South to Kent and the Tips going to Everett pretty much killed any of that for the future.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Is the state capital, Olympia, WA, out of the question?

Edit: Just one more to go!

There really isn't a good US market for the WHL to move to.

Boise would be too far away (similar to Prince George) a 4 hour drive to the closest team in Tri-Cities. Eugene is dominated by the University of Oregon and an outlier about 1.5-2 hrs south of Portland.

Bellingham might actually be a decent option and has some hockey history. Olympia & Salem may be suitable but not sure about hockey facilities or appetite. Wenatchee has a decent arena and is central but is just moving into the BCHL.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
There really isn't a good US market for the WHL to move to.

If you're just talking about market, that's an untrue statement. Of course, it's the arena, y'all!

Boise would be too far away (similar to Prince George) a 4 hour drive to the closest team in Tri-Cities.

I do believe this is how the WHL sees it... but I wonder how much they'd bend because Kootenay is the purchase target. Boise went after Tri-Cities 20 years ago and was told no. I know the other US teams are not keen on the length of the drive. But Boise has the market, the proper arena, and a current impetus to consider their options after the shift in the ECHL.

Eugene is dominated by the University of Oregon and an outlier about 1.5-2 hrs south of Portland.

It's not that much of an outlier when you look at the distance from Everett to Spokane and Kennewick. However, if a hockey arena gets built there in the next 10 years, it's because U of O wants to get into hockey, and they're not going to allow the WHL to mess that up. Having said that, as the old stadium was sold before it burned to the ground, there will be less pressure on Eugene to maintain that, so there's a slight possibility they might want to dip their toes into maybe renovating the main ice rink in Eugene and consider arena seating as part of the plan. Nothing to hold your breath for, but something to check back every once in a while. The stadium issue was important for two reasons... (1) tying up money in a major renovation was a possibility, now there's none, (2) the city slightly defied UO to give a private group a deal on a purchase.

Now, SALEM... the Winterhawks looked at an arena on the state fairgrounds when it appeared the old horrible ownership wanted out and subsequently the next owner (Gallacher) was looking at the possibility of Memorial Coliseum being torn down. It needs work, but Salem has some possibilities, has market size Bellingham and Olympia do not have, and is only an hour from Portland in good traffic.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
Fort McMurray?

ix 103.7 News ‏@Mix1037FMNews Sep 22

Proponent: In preliminary talks with WHL about relocation and/or expansion to #ymm. Sounds like that is top choice at this point

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I wonder if Surrey would be a potential spot.....Fort Mac I could see, a helluva lot of money there.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
I still don't get why the Ice are in Cranbrook. City is puny and the team doesn't draw well in terms of attendance. Would a better suitor for a BCHL team, imo.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I still don't get why the Ice are in Cranbrook. City is puny and the team doesn't draw well in terms of attendance. Would a better suitor for a BCHL team, imo.
There have been rumors of the Ice moving. One last year had Ice to Lethbridge and the Hurricanes to Winnipeg. Since the Moose are now in Winnipeg and the Hurricanes BOG has refused to sell that idea is out the window. I think Abbotsford would be a good fit for a WHL team, however I still believe the Canucks will move their AHL team there in the near future a apart of a future phase of the western movement that league is experiencing.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I don't foresee another WHL team in the Lower Mainland of BC. Abbotsford's arena would be a prime destination, but as mentioned above, and many times before, they're waiting on the Canucks. That said, the Canucks are waiting to see how the Western movement does in the AHL and if it continues to grow. Vancouver is quite happy with Utica and not in a rush to leave.

If Surrey ever built an arena big enough for a WHL team, expect the Giants to move there. There has been talk of Surrey building an arena similar in size to Abbotsford and Victoria, with Toigo having a hand in it, along the Fraser River near the SkyTrain line, but talk is all it has been.

Hordichuk_24

If Surrey ever built an arena big enough for a WHL team, expect the Giants to move there. There has been talk of Surrey building an arena similar in size to Abbotsford and Victoria, with Toigo having a hand in it, along the Fraser River near the SkyTrain line, but talk is all it has been.

It is just talk right now but where there is smoke there is fire. The Giants would love for this to happen. The Coliseum is expensive to rent (not to mention the team has been losing money) and they believe being closer to transit (specifically a skytrain station) will help increase attendance. Toigo has the funds to make something happen so we will have to wait and see.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
It is just talk right now but where there is smoke there is fire. The Giants would love for this to happen. The Coliseum is expensive to rent (not to mention the team has been losing money) and they believe being closer to transit (specifically a skytrain station) will help increase attendance. Toigo has the funds to make something happen so we will have to wait and see.

Would love to see a the Giants in a proper WHL arena. Use the Xfinity Center in Everett as a blueprint. Love that arena.

tank44

Feb 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I have mixed feelings. From a practical standpoint it makes perfect sense. But I love the feeling of history and the smell of hockey at the Coliseum. All newer arenas severely lack that.

The newer arenas lack troughs and the residual smell/stickiness that provides. But seriously the pee trough and the underground smoking area at the Coliseum was what part of the game experience back in the day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad