Is Expansion something the WHL would consider at this time?

Canadian82

Dec 28, 2015
I don't think the ice ownership will sell they might be willing to move due to the small size of where they are located. Now my two cents on expansion I don't think the whl will even look at a expansion in Alberta sask or Manitoba till they even out the teams in the two conferences. That being said I can see the ice maybe moving to either the us or b.c division or maybe Winnipeg if they decide to move. If they go to the u.s or bc they might try to put another team in the other and one in the central division. If the ice were to move to Winnipeg would prob see swift current switching over to the central (Saskatoon less chance then swift). Winnipeg would be a good location as teams can hit up Brandon and the peg on the same trip

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Why wouldn't Abbotsford try and get the Ice?

Who in Abbotsford wants to buy the Ice?

This.

On another topic, how long are the Giants going to take before announcing if they're staying in Vancouver or moving to Langley? They can't wait until the last minute and then assume all their season ticket holders will follow. A lot have already been very vocal about not renewing if they move.

Feb 7, 2012
Seattle
How badly does the WHL want to balance its divisions? Ice going west makes the most sense.

Also is Winnipeg done in regards to WHL, now that they have AHL?

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
How badly does the WHL want to balance its divisions? Ice going west makes the most sense.

Also is Winnipeg done in regards to WHL, now that they have AHL?

For now, I would say yes Winnipeg is done. But it sounds like the Moose aren't here long term. Everything sounded like they would come here for a few years and then move to Thunder Bay when they have a new arena. But if they have success in Winnipeg, I imagine they might stay. They have drawn pretty well despite having a brutal team, and have been able to call up, and send players down very easily being in the same building.

So it all depends on the Moose. If they are just here short term, then I would expect TNSE to keep pushing for the WHL.

Hordichuk_24

On another topic, how long are the Giants going to take before announcing if they're staying in Vancouver or moving to Langley? They can't wait until the last minute and then assume all their season ticket holders will follow. A lot have already been very vocal about not renewing if they move.

My gut says they are going to Langley. That isn't based on any inside info just my feeling. But I agree, the longer this is drawn out the more absurd it becomes. It is quite scary with Toigo running the show and making the decisions. He isn't a hockey guy he is a businessman. And he really has no idea what he is doing. He is meddling way too much. Part of the problem this organization has dealt with over the past several seasons. In the past, Bonner and Hay ran the show and it worked. But he has decided to become more involved since and that isn't for the better, IMO. I know a former coach of the team had a lot of negative things to say about him. His obsession with Mike Johnston also concerns me. Complete tunnel vision without much perspective.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I'm asking this purely out of curiosity. Given the situation with the Flint Firebirds, say Nilsen decided to sell the team, and say a group of people from Abbotsford were interested. Could they buy the Firebirds and then apply for expansion to the WHL?

My basis for asking this is that all the teams fall under the CHL banner, and I'm likening it to a new Athletic Director taking over an NCAA program and switching conferences.

EDIT: Nevermind. They would have to stay in the OHL, at least i presume. It would make no sense for a person/group from the West to buy a franchise from the O since all they'd be buying is the branding. They would still have to pay an exapansion fee to the WHL anyway.

Last edited:

Hordichuk_24

I'm asking this purely out of curiosity. Given the situation with the Flint Firebirds, say Nilsen decided to sell the team, and say a group of people from Abbotsford were interested. Could they buy the Firebirds and then apply for expansion to the WHL?

My basis for asking this is that all the teams fall under the CHL banner, and I'm likening it to a new Athletic Director taking over an NCAA program and switching conferences.

EDIT: Nevermind. They would have to stay in the OHL, at least i presume. It would make no sense for a person/group from the West to buy a franchise from the O since all they'd be buying is the branding. They would still have to pay an exapansion fee to the WHL anyway.

To further that point the WHL really doesn't want to expand. There would have to be a desire in the first place in order for something like that to happen. Plus having a team move across the country (well another country entirely in this case) and such a far distance is very unlikely. I'm not even entirely certain it's possible, although I could be wrong. Probably not even worth the hassle if it is technically possible.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
To further that point the WHL really doesn't want to expand. There would have to be a desire in the first place in order for something like that to happen. Plus having a team move across the country (well another country entirely in this case) and such a far distance is very unlikely. I'm not even entirely certain it's possible, although I could be wrong. Probably not even worth the hassle if it is technically possible.

Yeah, the more I thought about it, the less sense it made. And I like I said, I was likening it to NCAA schools switching conferences but in those scenarios, the players stay the same. In this case, no one on Flint can play in the WHL.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Simon Fraser University has announced it's looking to add NCAA D1 hockey. If successful, it would be the only metro area in North America that I can think of to have both major junior (Giants) and NCAA hockey. I don't consider Flint and Saginaw along with all the D1 schools in Michigan as the same situation.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2016/0...of-landing-an-ncaa-mens-div-1-hockey-program/

Will be curious to see the WHL's and the Giants' marketing response to this.

Emerald City Bruin

I-90 W for 2500mi
Aug 3, 2004
Seattle,WA
Simon Fraser University has announced it's looking to add NCAA D1 hockey. If successful, it would be the only metro area in North America that I can think of to have both major junior (Giants) and NCAA hockey. I don't consider Flint and Saginaw along with all the D1 schools in Michigan as the same situation.

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2016/0...of-landing-an-ncaa-mens-div-1-hockey-program/

Will be curious to see the WHL's and the Giants' marketing response to this.

I guess it depends on your definition of metro area? Because Sault Ste Marie and Erie have both.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I guess it depends on your definition of metro area? Because Sault Ste Marie and Erie have both.

Major city I guess. While I think they would coexist I'm just more curious how a D1 program would fare in a major city like Vancouver which absolutely, does not support college sports, whatsoever, and has numerous entertainment options aside from other sporting options. And while the areas you mentioned have had their programs running for decades, I don't see the WHL being all too happy about the NCAA moving into their territory.

Aug 10, 2015
http://kootenayice.net/article/ice-modify-ownership-structure

Not sure if this is the next step in selling moving the team, but I know at least some of the people in Cranbrook have long believed that if not for the Niedermayers partial ownership of the team that they would have left by now. With them no longer in the picture....could the writing be on the (wall) Ice?

Sad day for me, wondering whether or not to renew my season tickets...seems like a strange time to announce this deal.

Hordichuk_24

The Ice are basically a sitting duck. The league wants to move them, the Chynoweth's do too (regardless of what they might say to the media). It'll just take the right situation for them to move. Moving back to the Western Conference makes the most sense (to balance the conferences) and I know the league would love them to go to Nanaimo but they might have to settle for somewhere else (unless a rink will be built rather quickly, which from what I understand isn't likely).

As for the Giants, they are moving to Langley. I still don't see this as a long term home but it will be their majority home next season. They may play a few games at the Coliseum (for event night games) but a majority will be at the Langley Events Centre.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
The Ice are basically a sitting duck. The league wants to move them, the Chynoweth's do too (regardless of what they might say to the media). It'll just take the right situation for them to move. Moving back to the Western Conference makes the most sense (to balance the conferences) and I know the league would love them to go to Nanaimo but they might have to settle for somewhere else (unless a rink will be built rather quickly, which from what I understand isn't likely).

As for the Giants, they are moving to Langley. I still don't see this as a long term home but it will be their majority home next season. They may play a few games at the Coliseum (for event night games) but a majority will be at the Langley Events Centre.
Keep seeing rumbles of the Giants moving to Langley (I'd be thrilled since I live less than 10 minutes away - and haven't had a WHL team to cheer for since Chilliwack left).

Is that confirmed?

Hordichuk_24

Keep seeing rumbles of the Giants moving to Langley (I'd be thrilled since I live less than 10 minutes away - and haven't had a WHL team to cheer for since Chilliwack left).

Is that confirmed?

It will be tomorrow. But yes it's basically been confirmed for a few weeks now. I heard about it last week which is why I posted that. From what I understand they will play a few games in Vancouver (probably promotional events, like the Teddy Bear toss game) but the rest in Langley. I still don't think Langley will be a long term plan (Surrey is the target) but it'll be their home for now anyway. Unfortunately all my connections to the team are soon to be gone. But that's fine as I'll be moving away from the area shortly.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
12 minute drive from the LEC, and even with bridge toll it's cheaper than driving to East Van and paying for parking. Going to go to more games for sure next season.

Hordichuk_24

12 minute drive from the LEC, and even with bridge toll it's cheaper than driving to East Van and paying for parking. Going to go to more games for sure next season.

That is what they were banking on, IMO. People were complaining about toll bridges and parking and threatening to cancel their season tickets. They know a portion of their fan base lives in that area. And with a much smaller venue it'll be much easier to fill (and not lose money, via rent). Toigo lost a ton of money over the past several seasons. A ton. Something had to give. A move shouldn't be surprising to anybody with any knowledge of the situation. I'm sure the organization also hopes some of the former fan base of the Bruins will now support the Giants. That is exactly why a WHL team won't be moving to Abbotsford anytime in the near future. Toigo will not allow it.

Rocko604

Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Some of the comments on their facebook page are just absurd. People just can't fathom the thought of driving east on the freeway, and yet have nothing to say in response to all the fans from Surrey, Ridge Meadows and the Tri Cities who have been driving 30 minutes+ to games for the last 15 seasons.

Transit is a legit concern though, but I doubt it would be improved to get people out there. Maybe some sort of shuttle? Doubt it though.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
Some of the comments on their facebook page are just absurd. People just can't fathom the thought of driving east on the freeway, and yet have nothing to say in response to all the fans from Surrey, Ridge Meadows and the Tri Cities who have been driving 30 minutes+ to games for the last 15 seasons.

Transit is a legit concern though, but I doubt it would be improved to get people out there. Maybe some sort of shuttle? Doubt it though.
Hope they co-ordinate with TransLink and maybe offer some direct shuttle service from Lougheed SkyTrain to the arena via Highway 1 and 200 Street (with a stop at nearby Carvolth). That would be a great option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad