Is Evgeni Malkin Now The Penguins' Best Player?

bobbyking

May 29, 2018
Malkin has a higher ceiling, Crosby is more consistent. Crosby's consistency typical beats out Malkin's Lemieux like flashes. This year may be differ

Malkin plays a flashier style, and is better at stringing the puck on a thread and making plays all over the ice. He also has a great slapshot.

Crosby is better down low and better at making plays down low around the net. He also has a by far better overall shot (except for slapshot), and a best in-the-history-of-the-NHL backhand.

Crosby is a faster skater. Malkin is a more deft skater. Crosby will beat you with speed. Malkin won't.

If you have a breakaway, I'd almost always rather have Crosby than Malkin.
If you have a PP, you almost always rather Malkin control it. He just creates space so well for other players around him.

So is Malkin Now the Penguins best player? Right now he is, but that can change on a dime :D.

Damned spoiled that we have both of them on the Penguins.
Crosby has a better snap and backhand . Malkin has a better slap, wrist and his oNE timer is 1000 × better.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I know he plays behind Crosby and Sid was a lot better in the latest playoffs, but this guy just keeps racking up points, and between him and Crosby he is more of a threat to win the Art Ross at this stage in my opinion.

I'm hesitant to say he is better than Crosby, but he's been a maniac offensively since the 2017 Cup.
He always was. Now live with it.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Crosby has a better snap and backhand . Malkin has a better slap, wrist and his oNE timer is 1000 × better.

I’m not sure. Crosby had a great one timer before he stopped using it, mostly having to do with his power play positioning I guess. It was most certainly awesome before the neck injury anyway.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
The Pens should be in the SCF every season with these two guys... They basically have the era-equivalent of Lemieux and Gretzky playing on the same team.... To have only won 3 cups in 13 seasons is kind of disappointing. Always missing that #1D, it seems.

I'm not sure how anyone can argue that Malkin/Crosby haven't been the top 2 centers in the NHL over the last decade plus.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
You just knew that those four games would be used to paint a whole four seasons. Are you referring to the playoffs where Crosby played with a broken jaw?

I know Malkin doesn't get the recognition he deserves but the lengths some will go to bring down Crosby is hilarious.

And I said Crosby was underrated in 9 years, and overrated in 4 years. Thats somehow "lengths somewill go to bring down Crosby"?

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Crosby’s boardwork and net-front game have always been key staples in his style. 4 games against Chara with a broken jaw doesn’t change that. Crosby got that broken jaw because he was around the net and took a deflected slap shot to the face.. the only time he ever was a perimeter player relatively was last year, and even then that wasn’t every game. Just because Crosby could score from range back then doesn’t mean he was a floater.

Crosby wasnt matched up against Chara, Malkin was.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
And I said Crosby was underrated in 9 years, and overrated in 4 years. Thats somehow "lengths somewill go to bring down Crosby"?

I could care less about when people use the term overrated or underrated. It is meaningless. I do care when a player is rated below what their production was which is what you were doing.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Malkin seems to have more «ice tilt » than Crosby. Sid has to grind like crazy to get points and Malkin can be invisible all game long and finish with 3 points just because he has that offensive touch. But I think Malkin is slightly a bigger threat offensively, but Crosby is better overall.

Yuri35

Mar 11, 2018
Malkin has a higher ceiling, Crosby is more consistent. Crosby's consistency typical beats out Malkin's Lemieux like flashes. This year may be differ

Malkin plays a flashier style, and is better at stringing the puck on a thread and making plays all over the ice. He also has a great slapshot.

Crosby is better down low and better at making plays down low around the net. He also has a by far better overall shot (except for slapshot), and a best in-the-history-of-the-NHL backhand.

It's funny cause despite the fact Sid has overall a better BH (especially for passing), Malkin has scored at least 2 better and more difficult backhanders than any of Sid's ones in his whole career.
I'm obviously talking about his BH goal against Carolina and the one against the Oilers.

Oh and I also disagree that Sid has a better shot than Geno (be it slap shot or not).
Their goals stats could say the reverse but actually, that's mostly due to the fact that Sid is incredibly good and far better than geno at scoring from deflections (by far one of the best of all time in that aspect).

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The Pens should be in the SCF every season with these two guys... They basically have the era-equivalent of Lemieux and Gretzky playing on the same team.... To have only won 3 cups in 13 seasons is kind of disappointing. Always missing that #1D, it seems.

I'm not sure how anyone can argue that Malkin/Crosby haven't been the top 2 centers in the NHL over the last decade plus.

Thats a bit of a stretch about the scf every year of course - but in essence they have been a "strong contender" to the cup every single season since 2008. Which is pretty insane.

Its a team game and often their supporting cast was nowhere near up to par but they are both such huge differentiators.

Finally - of course theyre the best 2 centers over the last decade i dont think anyone has ever argued that.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Crosby has a better backhand and a snap shot. Malkin has a better slipper and wrist. Crosby also has better deflections and is much better around the net. Crosby is also a better playmaker.

I think Crosby is the more consistent playmaker, but Malkin is a better playmaker. He is incredible at causing opposing players to move according to him and threading the seam. The different is that Malkin makes more errant passes sometimes, as he plays it close. It's like he's playing chess with sticks and bodies and creating holes for passes.

This is why Malkin actually runs the PP instead of Crosby. Well, also because of the slapshot :).

It's funny cause despite the fact Sid has overall a better BH (especially for passing), Malkin has scored at least 2 better and more difficult backhanders than any of Sid's ones in his whole career.
I'm obviously talking about his BH goal against Carolina and the one against the Oilers.

Oh and I also disagree that Sid has a better shot than Geno (be it slap shot or not).
Their goals stats could say the reverse but actually, that's mostly due to the fact that Sid is incredibly good and far better than geno at scoring from deflections (by far one of the best of all time in that aspect).

See how Malkin usually scores. He likes the bottom half of the net. He'll deke an entire team, and then try to stuff it along the ice, and not score. If Crosby does the same, he pics a top corner.

I say this being a bigger Malkin fan than Crosby fan.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
This is why I ask myself, how the hell can anyone rank Nathan Mckinnon over Malkin. It's absurd. Give Malkin his wingers the NHL would not know what to do with Malkin. Not to say Kessel sucks by any means but yall get what I am saying..
I don't get what you're saying. Kessel is one of the best wingers in the NHL.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018

I think they’re about equal as far shot.
Crosby’s quick release is criminally underrated, but Malkin has a better one timer.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Malkin vs Crosby

Better skater: Malkin
Better shot: Malkin
Better Defense: Crosby
Better stick handling: Wash
Better physically: Malkin
Better whiner: Crosby :sarcasm:

Reactions: stampedingviking

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Both him and Crosby made the Penguins what they are for the past 10 years.

I wonder how it would have turned out if Geno, Crosby and Ovechkin were all on different teams!

Oh and it will hurt in Pittsburgh when Crosby and Malkin retire

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Crosby is .477 goals/game for his career, and Malkin is .473.

They score different ways but are about equal as goalscorers for their careers.

Huck Cheever

Sep 27, 2018
Crosby won 2 Conn Smythe's legitimately

Crosby was civilian in the 2016 finals but uncle Gary had to give Sid his hardware. Crosby padded 8 of his pts that yr vs NYR in the first round. Sid had 4 assists in 6 games in the finals...

Kessel deserves that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad