Speculation: is Ekblad available?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Not that we’ll ever know anything for certain, but do you really expect a GM to admit that? How much do you think fans, and the players themselves, want to hear that a team is shedding players for the owners bottom line?

If they’re shedding salary, they’ll never say that, they’ll just say they’re building for the future, while at the same time they just happen to shed a bunch of money.
There are no signals: Zito hasn't heard it, our press hasn't heard, our owners killed it during the COVID-19 crisis?

Like it's kind of a fantasy that a lot of hockey fans up north seemed to grab. Then they do the logical hoops we would give up our high value assets to cut cap instead of just replacing Hoff and Dady internally...

Reactions: Laus723

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
He's a mid-tier #1 RHD, signed for five years on a reasonable contract, young and developing in the right direction, and seemingly happy here. He is also by far the best defenseman on our team without any clear #1 defense prospects.

What would be a reasonable trade that makes us better given this? I only see trading for an elite player.

It would depend a lot on if Florida plans to retool for a few years, or if winning now is the top priority. I think Toronto could offer a competitive futures package but a win now trade would be a struggle. Many teams could beat our offer.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
There are no signals: Zito hasn't heard it, our press hasn't heard, our owners killed it during the COVID-19 crisis?

Like it's kind of a fantasy that a lot of hockey fans up north seemed to grab. Then they do the logical hoops we would give up our high value assets to cut cap instead of just replacing Hoff and Dady internally...

I don’t necessarily disagree with you. I’m just saying anything that comes from the team directly is not worth much.

Reactions: violaswallet

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I’m probably higher on Ekblad than most people, but not that high.
Most people are. It's just what we would take for our asset :)

Young talent like Ekblad who is happy and team controlled are only really traded in hockey trades (usually 1:1) that makes the trading team presumably better. Given Florida's dearth of D..

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
It would depend a lot on if Florida plans to retool for a few years, or if winning now is the top priority. I think Toronto could offer a competitive futures package but a win now trade would be a struggle. Many teams could beat our offer.
Trading Ekblad would be re-building, not re-tooling. We have no depth at D nor top prospects. Ekblad is also someone we re-tool around, given that Barky and Huby's contract end sooner.

To be honest, Huby is the guy that we would trade.. and I think the Islanders might be the best match if you'd offer up Beauvillier and one of your good young D's ;)

Vinman88

Aug 3, 2018
Dear Canadian fans,

Zito did say he will listen to any offers; no that does not mean we need to trade him absolutely now or that we want to trade him. That even means that we won't trade him for your package of five players and prospects that include a 2nd-3rd line tweener (that scored 20 goals once), your 3rd best prospect, a cap dump and a pick (with protection against a lottery selection!).

This does not that we are broke. If you read the initial source that lets you salivate over our elite talent in blue or (rouge et blanc):

' If there was one thing that surprised Florida GM Bill Zito in our conversation, it was that I’d heard Panthers’ ownership wished to cut payroll.
“No one said that me,” he said after a pause. “That’s news to me.”'

In fact our owners' financial firm had 70% return this years and we are one of the 14 teams that have not cut staff salaries yet. So what does this mean? We aren't trading our number defenseman to clear 1M in salary (and taking on 3 M in additional cap).

How disappointing it must be? One of the best young defensemen won't be coming to your team for scraps; how dare these non-traditional markets! It is our game (As we see teams from Florida and Texas fight for the cup)

Sincerely,
Florida Fans (and all Sunbelt franchises)

P.S.-In all seriousness, good hockey trades for other top talent are possible and that's what young, team-controlled, undisgruntled defensemen go for. Weber for Subban; Jones for Johansen.
Good stuff! Like a great Canadian band says, "You don't get something for nothing" 27 years and counting

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

TOR would be the last team I'd hope our new GM trades him to.
You dont trade prime aged RD with 5 years left. Unless it's for a Matthews type player aka an overpay

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I don’t necessarily disagree with you. I’m just saying anything that comes from the team directly is not worth much.
Sure. But given the whole package of news, you see why Florida fans are annoyed that non-market fans are basing their views around reports from six months ago that have not been validated by other news sources since?

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Trading Ekblad would be re-building, not re-tooling. We have no depth at D nor top prospects. Ekblad is also someone we re-tool around, given that Barky and Huby's contract end sooner.

To be honest, Huby is the guy that we would trade.. and I think the Islanders might be the best match if you'd offer up Beauvillier and one of your good young D's ;)
Pulock+ for Huby?

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Not that we’ll ever know anything for certain, but do you really expect a GM to admit that? How much do you think fans, and the players themselves, want to hear that a team is shedding players for the owners bottom line?

If they’re shedding salary, they’ll never say that, they’ll just say they’re building for the future, while at the same time they just happen to shed a bunch of money.

Considering the owner said he was going to do everything possible to still get Luongo a ring (though now not as a player) as his jersey retirement, the comment has never been substantiated, AND they’re still paying employees (unlike some major clubs) their full salaries...all signs point to cost cutting as a bunch of BS.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Ya I guess we'd have to see what Pulock wants, he's an RFA.
Makes complete sense and I could see if it is too much value.

Florida is a weird team: we have 3 of the best youngish players in their positions signed to great contracts, but our depth had died either by not developing/stagnanting (Troch. Bjug), being Talloned (Marcheseault and Smith) or becoming UFAs (Hoff/Dady)...

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Makes complete sense and I could see if it is too much value.

Florida is a weird team: we have 3 of the best youngish players in their positions signed to great contracts, but our depth had died either by not developing/stagnanting (Troch. Bjug), being Talloned (Marcheseault and Smith) or becoming UFAs (Hoff/Dady)...

I won't lie, Florida has been a dissapointment in many ways. I also thought Heponiemi was a surefire stud. I also thought Borgstrom was going to be a great #2C.

However, if the Isles have proven anything, it's that a team can do a 180. The Atlantic is wide open outside of Tampa.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
From Ottawa,

Would 5th overall + Batherson + 28th overall cover it?
You can draft Drysdale with the 5th
Read the thread :) If Ekblad was not team contorlled or did not want to stay, I think Drysdale is a great option. But that's not the case :)

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I won't lie, Florida has been a dissapointment in many ways. I also thought Heponiemi was a surefire stud. I also thought Borgstrom was going to be a great #2C.

However, if the Isles have proven anything, it's that a team can do a 180. The Atlantic is wide open outside of Tampa.
Oh, I agree: In 2016, we looked like the future, but it hasn't worked. And you're right about the Isles.

Just to opin, I think a top-end offensive talent like Huby could be perfect for the Isles/in particular Barzal. I'm super bullish about the Isles's future (would that it was easier to watch games from Manhattan), but I think they need that top-end offensive talent a bit more developed than Barzal is right now :)

Reactions: Merrrlin

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Meh.
Prefer more proven assets coming back. Think one of your top C prospects + something good

Our top C prospects are Logan Brown and Josh Norris. I would rate Batherson above both which is why I put him up.

I think it would be incredible to have Chabot/Ekblad top pairing, I would understand why Florida would want to keep him above all else.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If he were I'd want the Jets to be all over him. Plus knows Scheifele.

If not Winnipeg, I think he'd be a great fit on the Canucks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad