Speculation: is Ekblad available?

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Speculation from a Harman Dayal article on the Athletic:

Elliotte Friedman reported in his 31 Thoughts column that new Panthers GM Bill Zito will “explore moving one of the big tickets on his blue line to create flexibility.” This makes sense given that four players — Aaron Ekblad, Keith Yandle, Anton Stralman and Mike Matheson — combine to earn nearly $25-million on the backend.

Florida’s problem is that Yandle, Stralman and Matheson are all virtually unmoveable considering each’s career trajectory relative to their contracts. Does this mean that Ekblad and his $7.5 million cap hit could be available for the right price?
I cannot imagine how trading your best defenseman would make your club better--but this is HFboards and it's 2020, so, let's do that hockey.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Like with most new GM's I am sure there will be conversations but I would expect it would take too much to ever actually happen.

Given where the team is at you would need one hell of a good proposal. You would likely not only have to give a probable replacement but also take someone like Matheson

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Ok, I'll bite for fun. Especially since that article suggested that Vancouver ought to target him if he is available.

to FLA:
Brock Boeser + Tyler Myers + Vasily Podkolzin + 1st Round Pick

to Van:
Aaron Ekblad + Mike Matheson​

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I cannot imagine how trading your best defenseman would make your club better--but this is HFboards and it's 2020, so, let's do that hockey.
:thumbu:

I'd think that they try and get someone to bite on Stralman, not a lot of term there and teams are desperate for top4 RHD (I've heard the Leafs might need one) so some poor shmuck might take the bait. Even if they have to add a sweetener, that's probably a better idea than trading their best defenseman. Only way I see Ekblad moving is if someone knocks their socks off. They probably aren't thrilled at the idea of having Weegar as their #1.

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Speculation from a Harman Dayal article on the Athletic:

Elliotte Friedman reported in his 31 Thoughts column that new Panthers GM Bill Zito will “explore moving one of the big tickets on his blue line to create flexibility.” This makes sense given that four players — Aaron Ekblad, Keith Yandle, Anton Stralman and Mike Matheson — combine to earn nearly $25-million on the backend.

Florida’s problem is that Yandle, Stralman and Matheson are all virtually unmoveable considering each’s career trajectory relative to their contracts. Does this mean that Ekblad and his $7.5 million cap hit could be available for the right price?

THey should aim a different leader IMO he's not suited for the role and management sees it

Techcoockie

Feb 3, 2020
Mtl
Ok, I'll bite for fun. Especially since that article suggested that Vancouver ought to target him if he is available.

to FLA:

to Van:
Wouldnt even do Boeser for Ekblad.... People need to watch him play more, he's not a #1

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg

to FLA:

to Van:
How are they saving money$?

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Russell, Broberg/Bouchard, Benson/ Lavoi and 2021-1st

Total actual nhl cash is 1.5 million and clears up 35 million in liabilities while providing a blue chip prospect, a good prospect and a first.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
How are they saving money$?

Roughly crunching the numbers... when you consider salary owed and signing bonuses already paid for 20-21:

Boeser and Myers have $34,625,000 worth of salary left to be paid.
Ekblad and Matheson have $52,333,333 worth of salary left to be paid.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Dear Canadian fans,

Zito did say he will listen to any offers; no that does not mean we need to trade him absolutely now or that we want to trade him. That even means that we won't trade him for your package of five players and prospects that include a 2nd-3rd line tweener (that scored 20 goals once), your 3rd best prospect, a cap dump and a pick (with protection against a lottery selection!).

This does not that we are broke. If you read the initial source that lets you salivate over our elite talent in blue or (rouge et blanc):

' If there was one thing that surprised Florida GM Bill Zito in our conversation, it was that I’d heard Panthers’ ownership wished to cut payroll.
“No one said that me,” he said after a pause. “That’s news to me.”'

In fact our owners' financial firm had 70% return this years and we are one of the 14 teams that have not cut staff salaries yet. So what does this mean? We aren't trading our number defenseman to clear 1M in salary (and taking on 3 M in additional cap).

How disappointing it must be? One of the best young defensemen won't be coming to your team for scraps; how dare these non-traditional markets! It is our game (As we see teams from Florida and Texas fight for the cup)

Sincerely,
Florida Fans (and all Sunbelt franchises)

P.S.-In all seriousness, good hockey trades for other top talent are possible and that's what young, team-controlled, undisgruntled defensemen go for. Weber for Subban; Jones for Johansen.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
*PANTHERS AREN’T CUTTING SALARY!!* Zito never heard that from the owners. It’s rubbish.

that said, Ekblad has improved the last couple years and continues to grow. Being paired with Weegar has helped as well.
Would cost a lot to move him imo.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Maybe a hot take, but I would be all over Ekblad over a Pietro UFA signing. Give me a 24 year old at $7.5 million over a 30 year old at $9 million any day.

Obviously depends on what it take to get him though.

Reactions: qqaz

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Maybe a hot take, but I would be all over Ekblad over a Pietro UFA signing. Give me a 24 year old at $7.5 million over a 30 year old at $9 million any day.

Obviously depends on what it take to get him though.
Sure. We'd take Matthews.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
*PANTHERS AREN’T CUTTING SALARY!!* Zito never heard that from the owners. It’s rubbish.

that said, Ekblad has improved the last couple years and continues to grow. Being paired with Weegar has helped as well.
Would cost a lot to move him imo.

Not that we’ll ever know anything for certain, but do you really expect a GM to admit that? How much do you think fans, and the players themselves, want to hear that a team is shedding players for the owners bottom line?

If they’re shedding salary, they’ll never say that, they’ll just say they’re building for the future, while at the same time they just happen to shed a bunch of money.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Would you take anything less? Ekblad obviously a dream for Toronto and many other teams. Don't watch him enough to know his value but I know it's very high.
He's a mid-tier #1 RHD, signed for five years on a reasonable contract, young and developing in the right direction, and seemingly happy here. He is also by far the best defenseman on our team without any clear #1 defense prospects.

What would be a reasonable trade that makes us better given this? I only see trading for an elite player.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->