Speculation: is Ekblad available?

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary
Issue is cap-space: JT and AM are signed 22.6; for the next two seasons Barky+AM=17.5M. That's a good second line wing difference :)
But do you think that you could actually go deep into the playoffs in the next 2 years with AB and AM down the middle and a second line winger but without Ekblad? Because once those 2 years are up, Barky is going to want a significant raise as well.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
But do you think that you could actually go deep into the playoffs in the next 2 years with AB and AM down the middle and a second line winger but without Ekblad? Because once those 2 years are up, Barky is going to want a significant raise as well.
Nope I don't. If we had to make a trade though, sure would be good to have him locked up for 5 years and sell seats.

Reactions: Sam Pollock

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
TOR would be the last team I'd hope our new GM trades him to.
You dont trade prime aged RD with 5 years left. Unless it's for a Matthews type player aka an overpay
Ekblad is an excellent player with pedigree/high upside and I’m sure you can trade him for an elite player, but he’s older than Matthews and hasn’t shown the same elite gear as of yet. He may get you a Mitch Marner or William Nylander but he won’t get you Matthews. I’m not saying Florida should look at either of those players(they can’t afford Marner’s contract and Nylander probably isn’t worth it one for one) but they’re closer to him in value.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Admittedly Im not so sure on what the Panthers need as far as players, positions etc. But as a Jets fan I know that we badly need a # 1 dman.

So my proposal is Laine and Sami Niku to Florida for Ekblad and their 1st round pick for this season (#12). Before anyone jumps all over me, in no way is Niku a throw in. He's just not what the Jets need in a dman at this point. He is a smallish offensive dman and we have enough of those (Pionk, Morrisey). He’s 24 yrs old I believe and won dman of the year in the AHL a few years back.

Would this be a fair trade? If not what do either teams need to add to make it happen? Please dont bash me as I feel both teams are giving up very high end young NHL players.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Ekblad is an excellent player with pedigree/high upside and I’m sure you can trade him for an elite player, but he’s older than Matthews and hasn’t shown the same elite gear as of yet. He may get you a Mitch Marner or William Nylander but he won’t get you Matthews. I’m not saying Florida should look at either of those players(they can’t afford Marner’s contract and Nylander probably isn’t worth it one for one) but they’re closer to him in value.
I agree that the Matthews for Ekblad trade is not good value for the Leafs; it is a rhetorical device to end the poaching of Ekblad ;)

The Leafs and Panthers have the same defensive needs, so why trade our defenseman away, and neither is building? It's as if we would ask for Reilly in a trade: is he worth Barkov? Of course not. Is that what you want? (Well...maybe not given your center depth but you understand)

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Admittedly Im not so sure on what the Panthers need as far as players, positions etc. But as a Jets fan I know that we badly need a # 1 dman.

So my proposal is Laine and Sami Niku to Florida for Ekblad and their 1st round pick for this season (#12). Before anyone jumps all over me, in no way is Niku a throw in. He's just not what the Jets need in a dman at this point. He is a smallish offensive dman and we have enough of those (Pionk, Morrisey). He’s 24 yrs old I believe and won dman of the year in the AHL a few years back.

Would this be a fair trade? If not what do either teams need to add to make it happen? Please dont bash me as I feel both teams are giving up very high end young NHL players.
Nope. Laine is a great player that I would want, but it doesn't make sense to downgrade in our position of greatest need. :)

You need to think through Florida's roster :)

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010

No it's not fair. Laine is going to be up for a new contract soon and he's going to be looking for massive money. So the Panthers give up their #1D on a good contract and get back a winger who needs an extension. Then they throw in a mid 1st round pick and get back a defenseman with 50 games under his belt. MEH

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
What's wrong with that proposal ? Debrusk is a 23 yr old almost 30 goal guy and vak is a future dman stud our best prospect plus zboril a former 1st round player young dman just finding his game now

12th overall + Tippett + Vatrano for Pasta then?
Offer is too much quantity.
Ekblad has 5 years left, not a 2 years

Matthews only moved for an overpay just like Ekbald. Don't expect TOR to do it but that's the only piece we would want to move Ekblad for on TOR.

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
12th overall + Tippett + Vatrano for Pasta then?
Offer is too much quantity.
Ekblad has 5 years left, not a 2 years

Matthews only moved for an overpay just like Ekbald. Don't expect TOR to do it but that's the only piece we would want to move Ekblad for
I feel like I should edit my post to include Boston now...otherwise known as Canada south

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
If building around barkov is the goal getting laine is a step in the right direction to making him happy.

laine for ekblad , 12 and tippet. The deal can get even bigger if involving huberdeau (rumours of him wanting out) Can include pionk, copp, roslovic, etc etc. Jets And panthers make good trading partners, could make both fan bases happy.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Klefbom/Nurse, Bouchard and a 1st would be on the table from Edmonton in an instant.

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
If building around barkov is the goal getting laine is a step in the right direction to making him happy.

laine for ekblad , 12 and tippet. The deal can get even bigger if involving huberdeau (rumours of him wanting out) Can include pionk, copp, roslovic, etc etc. Jets And panthers make good trading partners, could make both fan bases happy.

lmao, rumors of Huby wanting out??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad