Is Dylan Strome a bust?

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
who wont post again? lol
but yeah **** happens we make a mistake sometimes from time to time.

Kudos to you for actually not disappearing from your mistake. That's commendable.

But a conference finals appearance is a big deal to many fanbases, like you're almost there, so close!

I won't disagree that the Coyotes are a bit sad, how could you not think that?

But I don't want to shit on them and their fans because they could maybe turn it around really fast and surprise people.

I think it's obvious the team I'm a fan of, and all I have is two conference finals back in the early 2000's that were epic for me as a fan. Things are looking good now but you never know if you'll get back there even with a better team. Look at San Jose, St. Louis, Washington, etc. powerhouse teams that never get over the hump or just get beat by hot teams etc.

Some of these guys in the Coyotes system could come in a make a difference and be NHL players even if they're not top six players.

Then again maybe if Strome never makes it I can't lie that is a bust.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
i guess, although Strome might become something more

I know you're on the east coast and don't watch west coast games, you just come here to talk **** but maybe tune into a game or 2. Virtanen is playing the best hockey of his career. Kid is flying lately. Can tell his development has taken the next step.

This is just one example. I know it's the "in" thing to do on this forum to write off 21 year old Jake. But he's going to turn into something special himself. Has all the tools to be an impactful NHLer for many years. He is often the most noticeble player on the ice lately. In a good way.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I know you're on the east coast and don't watch west coast games, you just come here to talk **** but maybe tune into a game or 2. Virtanen is playing the best hockey of his career. Kid is flying lately. Can tell his development has taken the next step.

This is just one example. I know it's the "in" thing to do on this forum to write off 21 year old Jake. But he's going to turn into something special himself. Has all the tools to be an impactful NHLer for many years. He is often the most noticeble player on the ice lately. In a good way.

I watch West coast games all the time. Virtanen still sucks. Not sure why you're so obsessed with turning a Strome thread into a Virtanen discussion though

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
It’s all about perception. If he was pick #33 instead of #3, he’d be on everyone’s “steals” list. The fact is he was taken top three and he’s behind his peers in that range that are already productive nhl players. No denying that’s disappointing.

However, the fact also remains that he has been extremely statistically impressive in each season since his draft and there’s no denying that. So as much as it’s a cop out to say, it really is just too early the tell (as late as it is) at this point.

Would I be totally shocked if he never made a meaningful impact in the nhl? Nope. Would I be totally shocked if he became an effective 1st line nhl center? Nope. Toss a damn coin. :dunno:

Reactions: Heldig

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Arizona is something like 14-4-2 in their last 20 only to be 3rd to Nashville and Tampa in that span. Certainly wouldnt call them the worst team in the league.
I knew they'd been playing better but dayum, that's impressive.

Reactions: iSophagus

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Zach Hamill syndrome?

He is closer to bust than not

If he doesnt make the team at min next season... Likely a bust.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
If the Bruins based a players first 20 games in the NHL and called him a bust, Brad Marchand may not be where he is today. Or he is doing it with some other team.

Point? You can’t judge a young kid off such a small sample size. He is manhandling the AHL at 20 years old. Arizona is actually taking the right route with him. Just because the results aren’t there right away, doesn’t make him a bust. Laughable.

Reactions: ImNeverWrong

Dzonna

Mar 28, 2017
How this guy went before people like marner, hanifin, provorov, werenski, barzal, aho is beyond me.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
It's looking that way but he could obviously still maybe turn into a 2c if the stars align.

Unfortunate that Arizona ended up with 2 of the worst top picks in that year's draft in Strome and Crouse. At least Crouse was free, so no harm no foul.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I watched one of Stromes games earlier this season when he was called up against the Devils and I thought he looked good in his limited ice time.

The Coyotes, similar to the Hurricanes remain a huge mystery to me. The talent is there, they're just not able to put it all together.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If someone showed me a player that put up PPG+ numbers in AHL in his D+3, I'd probably peg that player as a future NHLer with huge upside.

I think too much is made of a small sample size of games at the NHL level with limited minutes. This thread look similar in many ways to some for Barzal before the year. Strome is a year behind already, but that's not enough for people to forget that lesson.

The lack of development in his skating is concerning though. As I see it, that's the bottleneck for his potential. He needs to find a way to either improve upon it - or find ways to be effective despite of it - or he'll never live up to his potential.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
How this guy went before people like marner, hanifin, provorov, werenski, barzal, aho is beyond me.

3 years later sure...at the time Hanifin was ranked ahead I believe and Marner and Strome was kind of a toss up on need / personal preference and the Coyotes wanted their franchise center.

I don't think Strome will be a star but I'd be surprised if he's not a 1st / 2nd line player in the NHL. Next year will be very telling for his development.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
If someone showed me a player that put up PPG+ numbers in AHL in his D+3, I'd probably peg that player as a future NHLer with huge upside.

Whether it's fair or not, it looks worse for Strome based on his draft position, and then add that to the fact that he's been blown away by seemingly half of his draft class

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Whether it's fair or not, it looks worse for Strome based on his draft position, and then add that to the fact that he's been blown away by seemingly half of his draft class
Sure, but this should reflect upon the terrific talents in his draft class for setting such a lofty standard, and on Arizona for picking Strome above these.

Strome himself doesn't become a better or worse player due to where he was picked or how other players in his draft has performed.

Reactions: JetsWillFly4Ever

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Vancouver fans mocking Arizona fans for lack of success... :huh:

There's a lot of young players to like on the Yotes and have the most Cap room to play with these next few years. If I'm a GM looking for a job in the NHL the Yotes are definitely the more appealing choice

As for Strome, if the Yotes want to move on I'd be more than happy to see the Blues go after him :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
Is this supposed to hurt me? Because yes. I hope we do finish last. I want a better % at Dahlin. I cheered when your pathetic franchise won in the shootout tonight.

Lets face it though, he's right, Vancouver is a garbage team and franchise too...

The fact that they extended Benning should earn them title of laughing stock of the league for few more years..

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Strome himself doesn't become a better or worse player due to where he was picked or how other players in his draft has performed.

It's the same thing with the Leafs trading the two 1sts for Kessel and then that pick became Seguin at 2nd overall. Kessel was doomed in Toronto from there on out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad