Is Dylan Strome a bust?

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
50l21d.jpg

Yeah our bad. They are 30th. Not 31st.
they were hampered with awful goaltending earlier in the season and could never fully recover. they've been much better since raanta came back. the canucks would know about awful goaltending wouldn't they?

Reactions: dim jim

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Vancouver fans mocking Arizona fans for lack of success... :huh:

There's a lot of young players to like on the Yotes and have the most Cap room to play with these next few years. If I'm a GM looking for a job in the NHL the Yotes are definitely the more appealing choice

As for Strome, if the Yotes want to move on I'd be more than happy to see the Blues go after him :sarcasm:
It’s not Vancouver fans, it’s just one disgusting homer.

It’s hilarious that this guy is so optimistic about the Canucks future despite the fact that the team has been the worst team in the NHL the past 3 years despite actively trying to make the playoffs and spending to the cap.

Look at the difference between the Canucks and Coyotes budget the fact that these two teams are so similar in the standings is pretty f***ing embarrassing.

Stop embarrassing our fan base.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
No, but it wouldn' surprise me if he has a Benoit Pouliot type career where he's a decent player, middle six centre, but not worth where was drafted.

Pouliot was drafted over Price, Kopitar, Rask who had better career. (and that's just first rounders that year, not no mention stasnty, neal and yandle picked later)

Strome was drafted over Marner, Werenski, Provorov, Barzal and Boeser in the first round who to date have had better careers. (Not mentioning Aho who's better drafted in the 2nd.)

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
they were hampered with awful goaltending earlier in the season and could never fully recover. they've been much better since raanta came back. the canucks would know about awful goaltending wouldn't they?
It’s especially hilarious considering Arizona spends 25% less than the Canucks and are still a better team.

Reactions: AnishLoomba

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
It’s not Vancouver fans, it’s just one disgusting homer.

It’s hilarious that this guy is so optimistic about the Canucks future despite the fact that the team has been the worst team in the NHL the past 3 years despite actively trying to make the playoffs and spending to the cap.

Look at the difference between the Canucks and Coyotes budget the fact that these two teams are so similar in the standings is pretty ****ing embarrassing.

Stop embarrassing our fan base.

Every team has a Gaudette type player in their system. Players with better NCAA numbers have flamed out in the NHL before him. He's no lock.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Strome is over a PPG centre in the AHL for something he did mostly as a 20 year old in his rookie season down there...this kid is not even close to a bust; to me I see at minimum a second line centre in him. Too much skill for him to be a total bust. For a 3rd overall pick that's not bad, but context considered in terms of 2015 draft being so deep and the people picked around him, he can be considered a disappointment. But not a bust.

Reactions: ECBBW and Dr Black

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Wasnt my graph, big dog. Pulled that straight out of the Vancouver GDT that was posted by one of yours. I certainly cant take credit for it. I dont even know how to graph, to be honest.

I wont even comment on the other benign, low ball attempts in the rest of it.
he's a leafs fan lol. ironic talking about cups and president trophies and conference finals

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
As for Dylan Strome he’s dominated at every development curve as we know these type of player (Thornton, Wheeler etc) tend to take longer to develop than other types of players.

Strome is unquestionably better than Virtanen, the fact that he was even brought up makes zero sense.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Every team has a Gaudette type player in their system. Players with better NCAA numbers have flamed out in the NHL before him. He's no lock.
Yeah, looking at the Canucks prospect pool aside for Elias Pettersson who the Canucks got by finishing 29th in the NHL I don’t really see much that other teams don’t have?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Yeah, looking at the Canucks prospect pool aside for Elias Pettersson who the Canucks got by finishing 29th in the NHL I don’t really see much that other teams don’t have?

Exactly. If they get a top 3 pick this year with Pettersson it'll turn around for them, but guys like Lind, Gaudette are in the majorit of the 31 teams prospect pools.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Exactly. If they get a top 3 pick this year with Pettersson it'll turn around for them, but guys like Lind, Gaudette are in the majorit of the 31 teams prospect pools.
I mean I don’t really see them turning around with a defensive core as inept as the one the currently have.

Benning in 4 years hasn’t brought in a single top 4 defender, and I don’t really see much in the pipelines aside from Juolevi.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Agreed. Fans just tend to get tunnel vision when it comes to their own prospects so the lower ones end up getting overhyped

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Definitely isn't a bust! Way to early because he is only 21.

Now..in this day and age, obviously a lot of so called 'experts" expect these "top prospects" to make it in the NHL within 1-2 years. Many don't go that route, and end up taking a little longer - I feel Strome is in this category.

He will be a very good centre for the Coyotes but all in due time. He has good size, but has to get stronger and improve his skating to be a #1C in the NHL. It's got to bother the Coyotes a bit though when you take a look at everyone who was taken after him and see where they are:
  1. Marner
  2. Hanifin
  3. Provorov
  4. Werenski
  5. Rantanen
  6. DeBrusk
  7. Barzal
  8. Connor
  9. Boeser
  10. Konecny
Wow...what a great first round man! :bow:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It's the same thing with the Leafs trading the two 1sts for Kessel and then that pick became Seguin at 2nd overall. Kessel was doomed in Toronto from there on out.
I get what you are saying, but I think that Kessel was doomed - as you say - because of how he was valued as a commodity.

Just like here, a direct comparison with Marner doesn't look good for Strome as a pick, and that will always hang over his head. But if he turns out to be a mid six center, people won't say "Strome is actually barely NHL caliber, just look at the guys taken after him!" They will say "Strome is a disappointment as just a mid six center considering the guys around him in the draft."

How good he is doesn't change, only how satisfied Yotes should be with it. That's why he isn't a bust just because he's not Marner, he's still a good prospect. However, getting a good prospect when you could have had Marner isn't (currently) looking that nice.

Dr Black

Oct 31, 2015
As for Dylan Strome he’s dominated at every development curve as we know these type of player (Thornton, Wheeler etc) tend to take longer to develop than other types of players.

Strome is unquestionably better than Virtanen, the fact that he was even brought up makes zero sense.

Strome better than Virtanen? That MIGHT end up being the case 2 or 3 years down the road, MAYBE! As of NOW, Virtanen is the better player based on games played, points and the vast improvement Virtanen has shown this year at the NHL level.

As well, Virtanen's draft class of 2014 is not as strong as Strome's draft class of 2015 (one of the best draft classes ever) The player drafted just after Virtanen, Hayden Fleury has been underwhelming. The player drafted just before Virtanen, Micheal Del Cole has been a catastrophic bust.

Compare that to the 2 players drafted ahead of Dylan Strome, Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel and several players drafted after Dylan Strom such as Mitch Marner, Noah Hanifin, Ivan Provorov, Zach Werenski, Mikko Rantanen, Mathew Barzel and Brock Boeser, not to mention others like Kyle Connor, Travis Konecny, Timo Meier, Jake DuBrusk and Pavel Zacha who are all ahead of Strome at this point, then you see an issue.

If Dylan Strome was drafted 11th overall, we wouldn't be having this conversation. If anything, Strome would be looked at as a great prospect based on is AHL and CHL numbers. But because he was drafted 3rd overall in THAT particular draft, and the fact that he only has 2 points in 18 games, thus lagging far behind much of his draft class, rightly or wrongly casts him in a somewhat negative light.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Strome better than Virtanen? That MIGHT end up being the case 2 or 3 years down the road, MAYBE! As of NOW, Virtanen is the better player based on games played, points and the vast improvement Virtanen has shown this year at the NHL level.

As well, Virtanen's draft class of 2014 is not as strong as Strome's draft class of 2015 (one of the best draft classes ever) The player drafted just after Virtanen, Hayden Fleury has been underwhelming. The player drafted just before Virtanen, Micheal Del Cole has been a catastrophic bust.

Compare that to the 2 players drafted ahead of Dylan Strome, Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel and several players drafted after Dylan Strom such as Mitch Marner, Noah Hanifin, Ivan Provorov, Zach Werenski, Mikko Rantanen, Mathew Barzel and Brock Boeser, not to mention others like Kyle Connor, Travis Konecny, Timo Meier, Jake DuBrusk and Pavel Zacha who are all ahead of Strome at this point, then you see an issue.

If Dylan Strome was drafted 11th overall, we wouldn't be having this conversation. If anything, Strome would be looked at as a great prospect based on is AHL and CHL numbers. But because he was drafted 3rd overall in THAT particular draft, and the fact that he only has 2 points in 18 games, thus lagging far behind much of his draft class, rightly or wrongly casts him in a somewhat negative light.

Virtanen has physical tools but plays like an absolute bafoon. Has 0 hockey awareness, terrible playing off the puck with his positioning. He stands out to Canuck fans this year because who else would? Bo Horvat looks like a solid #2C, Boeser is an elite RW and what else do you have? Virtanen has shown no indication he will be anything but a middle 6 forward (and that is being heavily optimistic, more likely bottom 6) on an NHL team. He's the next Tom Wilson. Strome, however, has the most important attribute for success in the next level - hockey IQ - and actually still has potential to be a top 6 forward. Also, don't bring up these hypothetical draft scenarios. The Canucks picked Virtanen over Nylander, Ehlers, Fiala, Vrana and Larkin to name a few (all of them are making significant impacts at the NHL level).

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
No, but it wouldn' surprise me if he has a Benoit Pouliot type career where he's a decent player, middle six centre, but not worth where was drafted.

Pouliot was drafted over Price, Kopitar, Rask who had better career. (and that's just first rounders that year, not no mention stasnty, neal and yandle picked later)

Strome was drafted over Marner, Werenski, Provorov, Barzal and Boeser in the first round who to date have had better careers. (Not mentioning Aho who's better drafted in the 2nd.)

Rantanen, Connor, Chabot, Konecny, Carlo as well. Dermott is looking like a player too.

(Terry and Gaudette were drafted b2b at the end of the 5th round and you could make an argument both of them have surpassed Strome too.)

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

Dylan Strome has absolutely dominated Virtanen at every stretch of development, and it’s not even remotely close.

Again I had this conversation with people who thought Virtanen was better than Nylander two years ago because Virtanen was in the NHL and Strome wasn’t. You can’t just evaluate players based on how quickly they jump to the NHL, again look at their production in their draft + 3 season in the AHL and tell me how on earth you think Virtanen is a better piece going forward.

It’s not even close, I’m pretty sure 90% of people on here would take Strome.

Reactions: Dack

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Definitely a disappointment at minimum given how much talent there was in that draft. Too early to call him a bust, but he’ll never live up to the pre draft hype.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad