Is Dylan Strome a bust?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
His numbers in the AHL this season would suggest there's definitely an NHLer there, wouldn't they? Some guys develop slower than others. The fact that he was sent down early this year and immediately started piling up points in the AHL is a positive sign, and suggests that perhaps the worst team in the NHL has something to do with his numbers at the NHL level so far. Just my opinion. Obviously he still has flaws that he hasn't progressed at as quickly as he would've liked. But that doesn't make him a bust.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
3rd overall pick in arguably the best draft of the decade and still not good enough to play for the worst team in the NHL?
He's PPG in the AHL and there is no benefit to him playing on the terrible NHL squad. Bring him along slow and hope for the best

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Doing goodin the AHL right now, encouraging steps in his development and is definitely still young enough to become an NHLer and a good one at that. It's still too early to tell if he's a bust IMO.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
His numbers in the AHL this season would suggest there's definitely an NHLer there, wouldn't they? Some guys develop slower than others. The fact that he was sent down early this year and immediately started piling up points in the AHL is a positive sign, and suggests that perhaps the worst team in the NHL has something to do with his numbers at the NHL level so far. Just my opinion. Obviously he still has flaws that he hasn't progressed at as quickly as he would've liked. But that doesn't make him a bust.

Nothing you do in the AHL or anywhere else says your a NHLer only actually be a NHLer says your a NHLer. He might develop slower then normal to become one or he might not.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
Some players develop at different rates. I know it's the trend to expect high picks to be in the NHL asap and all, but you got to let some guys ferment in the AHL a bit.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Nothing you do in the AHL or anywhere else says your a NHLer only actually be a NHLer says your a NHLer. He might develop slower then normal to become one or he might not.

That's fair. The same is true of busting. Only retiring without becoming an NHL regular says you're a bust. So what is there left to discuss?

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Arizona isn't the worst team in the NHL. 23-25-10 since the worst start in NHL history (11 wins in last 16), teams can evolve during the season, especially when you have a new coach and bunch of new players.

But yeah they're taking it slow with him which is probably the right thing to do. He's got NHL skill. Strome is the type of player you want to keep on your NHL roster once he's ready to produce on a consistent basis, otherwise he won't do enough to make the coach keep him in. Competing against men in the AHL daily will hammer down a lot of pro-hockey habits.

Give him another year or two before calling him a bust.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Not saying he won’t be a bust, but it’s not a race to start your career. Players develop differently and let him have the best possible chance for success with a little more seasoning. No sense in rushing him to that mess in Arizona.

Reactions: ECBBW and DaveG

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Didn't know he had 11 games played this year...was Arizona seriously stupid enough to not send him down at 9 and burn a year of his contract to get an extra 2 games out of him? Yup...there's your so-called 'one of the best GMs' John Chayka for you.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Arizona is something like 14-4-2 in their last 20 only to be 3rd to Nashville and Tampa in that span. Certainly wouldnt call them the worst team in the league.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Didn't know he had 11 games played this year...was Arizona seriously stupid enough to not send him down at 9 and burn a year of his contract to get an extra 2 games out of him? Yup...there's your so-called 'one of the best GMs' John Chayka for you.

They slid his contract last year. I don't believe he was eligible for it to slide again this year as he started the year as a 20-year-old.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
3rd overall pick in arguably the best draft of the decade and still not good enough to play for the worst team in the NHL?

He wont bust. His skating has been the hurdle to get to the NHL level. Its always been his weakness. He is a smart hockey player. He will be full time NHLer next season.

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
Arizona is something like 14-4-2 in their last 20 only to be 3rd to Nashville and Tampa in that span. Certainly wouldnt call them the worst team in the league.
50l21d.jpg

Yeah our bad. They are 30th. Not 31st.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I don't think Strome is a bust yet (and I don't think he will turn out to be a bust). I think that his development was badly stalled by not having the option of the AHL until this season, and instead wasted two years against OHL competition. I would like a change to allow NHL teams to exempt one player each season from the CHL agreement as some players are not yet good enough for the NHL, but to good for the CHL.

Reactions: Lays

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad