Is Dion Phaneuf done?

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
Rather than insult your intelligence, I'll just give the oppurtunity to go back to my original post, re-read it, and then come to the realization yourself that that was not what I was saying.

Oh, and apology accepted.

Just making sure that wasn't what you were saying :)

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Just making sure that wasn't what you were saying :)

:laugh:

Smooth.

But yeah - Dion needs to be having good nights against these guys, if he's as good as some of the people on this board think he is.

I'm not saying he can do it all by himself, but in those one-on-one battles I expect him to be as good as he was against Crosby last week.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010
:laugh:

Smooth.

But yeah - Dion needs to be having good nights against these guys, if he's as good as some of the people on this board think he is.

I'm not saying he can do it all by himself, but in those one-on-one battles I expect him to be as good as he was against Crosby last week.

:laugh: Never know around these boards anymore..

I agree. I think Dion has done good against Ovechkin throughout his time in Toronto so far. Dion knows to be physical with Alex, Ilya and even Malkin. And he does a good job on all three IMO. Malkin obviously tears the Leafs up, but its mostly on the PP.

palmateer67

Feb 6, 2010
New York City
Phaneuf needs to be taken off the power play. Does he even know where the net is? Reduce his minutes. He needs to work his way back.

By the way, he should lose the 'C'. (Lupul might get that when he returns.)

Alflives*

:laugh: Never know around these boards anymore..

I agree. I think Dion has done good against Ovechkin throughout his time in Toronto so far. Dion knows to be physical with Alex, Ilya and even Malkin. And he does a good job on all three IMO. Malkin obviously tears the Leafs up, but its mostly on the PP.

Doesn't Phaneuf play against Crosby 5 on 5?

Who is Phaneuf's partner? Oh! Really? A career AHL'er.

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
My opinion is based on the past few seasons during the odd time he was healthy, this season had very little influence on the original post.
you said....

"Hes healthy now, he sucks so far. Guys pushing 40 hes done."

he's healthy now, indicating you meant this season. he sucks so far...indicating this season. what else could you have meant? he sucks so far over the past few seasons? that makes no sense. you meant this season and you got caught.

when its pointed out to you that he's actually doing great so far this season, you try to claim the sample size isn't big enough to judge. again, caught in a clear double standard.

and he's also not pushing 40. so you're basically wrong on every level.

the only truthful item in your post is that you don't follow this stuff much. that much is obvious.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Phaneuf needs to be taken off the power play. Does he even know where the net is? Reduce his minutes. He needs to work his way back.

If you want to criticize Dion, do so based on his play.

But don't question his leadership. As ...thick... as he sounds to the media, everyone talks about him as being good in the room. He always defends the way his teammates play, and for whatever reason, this season he seems far more clued in than he has in the past.

He's fine as a C.

I understand why people criticize him in the role, but if he was playing outstanding, then nobody would be complaining - you have to separate his play with his leadership role.

Two very different animals

Calacatz

Jacked!
Aug 10, 2005
Doesn't Phaneuf play against Crosby 5 on 5?

Who is Phaneuf's partner? Oh! Really? A career AHL'er.

how does this post reflect on his own mistakes?? It wasnt Kostka that caused the goals their pairing gave up... The majority were on Dion... cough ups in front of the net or failing to tie a stick... give me a break ... A 6.5mil player & Captain and the defence partner is the excuse lol

Calacatz

Jacked!
Aug 10, 2005

But don't question his leadership. As ...thick... as he sounds to the media, everyone talks about him as being good in the room. He always defends the way his teammates play, and for whatever reason, this season he seems far more clued in than he has in the past.

He's fine as a C.

I understand why people criticize him in the role, but if he was playing outstanding, then nobody would be complaining - you have to separate his play with his leadership role.

Two very different animals

A leader puts his team on his back when he needs to... Like Mats did for over a decade and Wendal and Dougie did so well.. Phaneuf friggin turtles after hitting Tavares and an Isle wants to take exception... I dont care if he defends players and kisses ass.. I care about him getting angry on the ice and making a difference when the team needs help...

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008

You know, a lot of leadership is by example. It's not a difficult concept to understand.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Even at his absolute worst, Bryan McCabe was a better player for Toronto than Phaneuf has ever been. McCabe even had more bite and energy to his game on a consistent basis.

Honestly, even having said that, I feel McCabe was pretty fairly vilified. How some of you can still defend PHANEUF is completely beyond me.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Even at his absolute worst, Bryan McCabe was a better player for Toronto than Phaneuf has ever been. McCabe even had more bite and energy to his game on a consistent basis.

Honestly, even having said that, I feel McCabe was pretty fairly vilified. How some of you can still defend PHANEUF is completely beyond me.

How you can possibly say McCabe was vilified but Phaneuf isn't is mystifying.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Ok,let us get right down to brass tax.

What would you pay Dion? Cause he ain't worth $6.5 million and everyone knows it.

Jackothy

Jun 10, 2009

What the hell has Lupul done to deserve the C?

jimmycarter

Jun 12, 2010
what is the point of a d-man that cannot hit the net and constantly gets beat? he is a 2.5-3 million d-man at best.

Calacatz

Jacked!
Aug 10, 2005
Seems like ppl are getting it... No idea why I was getting flamed early for starting this thread.. The guy is a total joke....

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Phaneuf needs to relearn how to keep his point shot low. He keeps trying to go top shelf every damn time he gets the puck, and all he does is miss every ******* time. I honestly don't care if he's not scoring 20+ goals per season, or leading the league in hits. I just want him to generate some legit chances (maybe shoot for a rebound), and be strong in his defensive end. Get some assists, keep the opposing players to the outside.

If he's still around for contract renewal talks, umm, yeah. No more than $5mil at this rate. He eats big minutes, and plays against top lines. He is valuable in that regard. But if he's not doing both that and being a league leader in points for d-men, then he has to take a pay cut.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
How you can possibly say McCabe was vilified but Phaneuf isn't is mystifying.

Dude, it's not even close. Do you not remember when McCabe used to get boo'ed by the home crowd when he touched the puck?

pucky

Jan 11, 2011
Seems like ppl are getting it... No idea why I was getting flamed early for starting this thread.. The guy is a total joke....
I said this long ago. It is taking a long time for fans to see it.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Take the captaincy of this guy. I can't believe the Leafs would come down to picking this guy as a captain.

Lets. Sittler, Clark, Gilmour, Sundin and Phenuef?

I rather not the Leafs have a captain than this guy. Tonight during 5-3 he was taking his sweet time getting the puck, dude, it's 5-3 . get some urgency in your game.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Take the captaincy of this guy. I can't believe the Leafs would come down to picking this guy as a captain.

Lets. Sittler, Clark, Gilmour, Sundin and Phenuef?

I rather not the Leafs have a captain than this guy. Tonight during 5-3 he was taking his sweet time getting the puck, dude, it's 5-3 . get some urgency in your game.

So Phaneuf isn't good enough to be captain because he doesn't live up to those legends?

At least be real guys, look around the league and you will see that other teams don't have legends as their captain either.

I think the Leafs have been somewhat spoiled with their great leaders in the not so distant past.

I also think that the management team knows more about Phaneuf than everyone on this board.

Kessley Snipes*

bryan_mcclutz.jpg

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
So Phaneuf isn't good enough to be captain because he doesn't live up to those legends?

At least be real guys, look around the league and you will see that other teams don't have legends as their captain either.

I think the Leafs have been somewhat spoiled with their great leaders in the not so distant past.

I also think that the management team knows more about Phaneuf than everyone on this board.

If they did bro we would not be missing the playoffs for past 8 years. So I would strongly disagree

It has nothing to do with points. This is the Leafs. A storied franchise, you earn your captaincy, you don't just give it away out of favorism or lack of better options. Burkie acquired him so he let his boy RW make him captain. The very player Flames hated in the dressing room.

This guy lacks some serious heart not fitted to be the captain of any team, let alone the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad