Is Dion Phaneuf done?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Hes healthy now, he sucks so far. Guys pushing 40 hes done.

8 points in 6 games for Markov and -1.

1 point in 6 games for Dion and -7.

Who sucks so far this season?

34 mate ,Markov is 34,:shakehead

Dion is closing in on 28.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto

Guess i havent been following him to much since his first few games:laugh: Regardless, such a small sample size, Phanuef has been better and more durable over the past few seasons.

ScottyHolden

Jun 10, 2011
Lincoln, ON
8 points in 6 games for Markov.

1 point in 6 games for Dion.

Ahh, well then.. 6 Games?? I can't argue with a 6 game spread. Geeze, i feel REALLY stupid now, because in the last 6 games, markov has outscored Dion.

What are their respective point totals over the last 3 seasons? I know that doesn't mean anything.. But humor me.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Guess i havent been following him to much since his first few games:laugh: Regardless, such a small sample size, Phanuef has been better and more durable over the past few seasons.

Well lets be honest, you can't debate both at the same time can you?

Obviously Dion has been "better" just by the mere fact that he has been playing?

Durable was not part of the debate, it was who is the better d man.

If durable was such a factor, do we not then take a slanted look at Lupol?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Well lets be honest, you can't debate both at the same time can you?

Obviously Dion has been "better" just by the mere fact that he has been playing?

Durable was not part of the debate, it was who is the better d man.

If durable was such a factor, do we not then take a slanted look at Lupol?

Yes, Lupuls value diminishes when considering his injury history.

Regardless, when both playing Phaneuf has been better over the past few seasons. The 6 game sample size means very little. At the very worst they are equal calibre defensemen and id much rather have the more durable one playing on the Leafs top pair.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC

Dion is closing in on 28.

Wait, wait. I wanna play too!

Phaneuf: 27:53 TOI/G (2nd in the league), 13 Hits, 11 Blocked Shots, 3 Giveaways

Markov: 24:51 TOI/G, 5 Hits, 7 Blocked Shots, 10 Giveaways (leads the league)

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Ahh, well then.. 6 Games?? I can't argue with a 6 game spread. Geeze, i feel REALLY stupid now, because in the last 6 games, markov has outscored Dion.

What are their respective point totals over the last 3 seasons? I know that doesn't mean anything.. But humor me.

Did you even bother to read the post i was responding to?

The poster stated that Markov WAS healthy and STILL sucks , i posted what i did to show, that might not be the case.

0.615 ppg for Markov. Last 3 seasons

0.462 ppg for Dion. Last 3 seasons.

Last edited:

MajorityRules*

Wait, wait. I wanna play too!

Phaneuf: 27:53 TOI/G (2nd in the league), 13 Hits, 11 Blocked Shots, 3 Giveaways

Markov: 24:51 TOI/G, 5 Hits, 7 Blocked Shots, 10 Giveaways (leads the league)

Not hard to tell Wilson is gone with a player other than a Leaf leading the league in giveaways lol.

MajorityRules*

Top 3 for forwards last year: Kovalchuk, Getzlaf, Thornton

Top 3 (4) for D-Men last year: John Carlson, Petry, Subban, and just for fun Karlsson

LOL I should have looked before making that comment. I'm just so used to hearing giveaways being used against Leaf players and Wilson's run n gun system likely increased everyone's totals.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
LOL I should have looked before making that comment. I'm just so used to hearing giveaways being used against Leaf players and Wilson's run n gun system likely increased everyone's totals.

Lol No worries. They were up there, three players in the top fifteen in 11/12. We are just conditioned from reading comments on this board, hearing media, and watching the majority of games. When you watch someone play all the time, and see them have a habit of giving the puck away, its human nature to assume they lead the league, or are the worst, etc.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Dion has 1 point in 6 games while Markov has 8pts, and people are laughing at him? What kind of spin zone is this place?

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Top 3 for forwards last year: Kovalchuk, Getzlaf, Thornton

Top 3 (4) for D-Men last year: John Carlson, Petry, Subban, and just for fun Karlsson

Players who are on the puck all the time, and trying to make creative offensive plays will post high absolute giveaway #s so they have to be taken with a grain of salt. If a player is generally generating solid offensive production it's acceptable, if a player is not, then it's a detriment to the team.

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Absolutely nothing wrong with discussing it. Pretending that everyone out there is somehow better while ignoring theirs is the problem. The grass is always greener eh?
who's pretending that all other defencemen are better than phaneuf? i don't see anyone saying that.

most teams have been better than the leafs the past number of years, so yes, the grass is greener in most places.

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
hilarious. you were quick to use this season's sample size when you thought markov was playing terribly. then when its pointed out how wrong you are, the sample size is too small to judge anything. great stuff.

at least you admit you don't follow this stuff much.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
hilarious. you were quick to use this season's sample size when you thought markov was playing terribly. then when its pointed out how wrong you are, the sample size is too small to judge anything. great stuff.

at least you admit you don't follow this stuff much.

My opinion is based on the past few seasons during the odd time he was healthy, this season had very little influence on the original post.

Regardless back to the originial list..

Whoever made it said Byfuglien was equal to Phaneuf Defensively?

Phaneuf
Corsi Rel QoC - 1.399

Corsi Rel - 3.3
Corsi QoC - 1.409
Defensive zone starts - 50%
GaOn/60 - 2.80 (3rd lowest on team)
GA Off/60 - 2.84

Byfuglien
Corsi Rel QoC - 0.674
Corsi Rel - 13.1
Corsi QoC - -0.545
Defensive zone starts - 46.6%
GaOn/60 - 3.21 (team highest)
GA Off/60 - 2.15 (team lowest)

Phaneuf is much better defensively.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I am not a big fan of Phaneuf and there is a long list of defenders I would rather have so I wanted to post it but it turns out the list was not as long as I would thought. And most of the ones on the list is defenders that is close to impossible to get anyway.

Still dont like him as a captain.

:p:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Tonight will go some way to determining just how strong Dion is defensively.

He's up against an Ovechkin who isn't nearly as explosive or dangerous as he used to be. Should be able to shut him down well and put up a good fight- not get beat on the outside, or get deked out, or beat to lose pucks, etc.

DD03

3D
Mar 15, 2010

He's up against an Ovechkin who isn't nearly as explosive or dangerous as he used to be. Should be able to shut him down well and put up a good fight- not get beat on the outside, or get deked out, or beat to lose pucks, etc.

So if Ovechkin has a good night, it's Phaneuf's fault? Makes sense.

ForSpareParts*

To the OP.

Nothing is wrong with Dion.

If he can improve his shot we might be looking at another 30 plus point season (in a shortened season).

Alflives*

Phaneuf will dominate OV. He's bigger and stronger and a lot tougher. It's not even close. He's done it before, and will continue to do the same.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
So if Ovechkin has a good night, it's Phaneuf's fault? Makes sense.

Rather than insult your intelligence, I'll just give the oppurtunity to go back to my original post, re-read it, and then come to the realization yourself that that was not what I was saying.

Oh, and apology accepted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->