Is Crosby still a top 5 center?

what do you think?

• Total voters

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
.5 PPG and .25 GPG as a minus 4 over the past two playoffs, while having his team swept once and go 1-3 the other time.

I realize Crosby gets a grace decade on HF and in the Canadian hockey media but this is getting ridiculous.

This take brought to you by a fan of a team the Pens have taken out behind the barn and bent over for the better part of 30 years.

What’s special about the last two years, why not the last 3, 4, or 5 years? Oh...

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
.5 PPG and .25 GPG as a minus 4 over the past two playoffs, while having his team swept once and go 1-3 the other time.

I realize Crosby gets a grace decade on HF and in the Canadian hockey media but this is getting ridiculous.

If we're going to start judging players on playoff success and failures, minus one solitary year Ovechkin's going on almost 2 decades of grace period then.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Yes, easily. I'll need to see a season-plus of poor production before I begin to write him off.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yes just because his “on” games are still so dominant. Not 5 guys I’d take I’ve him for a single night.

Id say at his age it’s becoming a little more varied though, so if you didn’t have him top 5 I wouldn’t argue.

Reactions: slapKing

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
How are we judging a top 5 center is it the current 5 best centers this season? Or is it who are the top five enters cumulatively over the last little stretch?

I think it is easy to argue Crosby is not a top five center this year. But, if I'm looking at centers in the league and who historically and potentially moving forward this year will be top five, I easily have him in the top five and bordering on the top three.

Paper

Nov 4, 2009
I’ll put him at #5. I’ll take him over anyone in playoffs though
My thinking too. McDavid may be Eddie Martel but when it comes to heart you need Shane Falco aka Crosby. Crosby is pretty much Keanu Reeves if Reeves was a Canadian hockey player.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
yes AINEC. only McDavid is definitely better and MacKinnon/Draisaitl have a claim
I agree with Kirk. At first was thinking at around 5/6 but elavates the HELL out of his game in the playoffs so much when star players should so have to easy breasy take him over Matthews/Barkov if ya want to win in the playoffs so yeah still top 5

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Gotta agree with those making regular season vs. playoff performance distinctions, and I would also want him on the squad to escalate his play in the playoffs.

As good as guys like McDavid and Matthews are, they still don't have the track record that Sid has had in the same era, and just like it affected Ovechkin's legacy before he won his Cup, it should also reflect on who #34 and #97 ultimately are -- regular season performers with potential to become great, but in the postseason they are still unproven.

First couple folks who come to mind for post-season greatness (in no particular order) would be Point, Crosby, Mackinnon, Bergeron and O'Reilly.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
This take brought to you by a fan of a team the Pens have taken out behind the barn and bent over for the better part of 30 years.

What’s special about the last two years, why not the last 3, 4, or 5 years? Oh...

Why would you be judging someone now based off 3+ years ago? The bottom line is he has 4 points in 2 very early exits back to back for the Penguins and it's not like he's getting any younger.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
In my opinion, he is #5 right now.

McDavid
MacKinnon
Draisaitl
Matthews

I have him behind these players.

For anyone else? Ask yourself if you would take that player ahead of Crosby if you were a Stanley Cup contender and were starting the playoffs tomorrow.

I think only a player like Point would have a legitimate argument, considering what he did in the playoffs last year.

Barkov is so underrated

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I don't think so, or at the very best he's 5th. There's a bunch of guys in that range and close enough that whoever is having the best season basically deserves to be there.

He's still a great player but i don't think he's got the same dominant switch to flip on like in the past. Just watching these young superstars reminds you what that feels like, and how i used to go into Pens games thinking what's in the two-headed monsters bag of tricks today. You appreciate what they still are today but it's not the same anymore.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I think he is 6th. Good poll I guess. An argument can be made for 4th-7th. I think I’d rather have him this year than point. Not barkov though.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State

Is this a serious question?

He's getting older and like most players is getting less productive. There is a reason that regency is a thing.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He's not having one of the five best seasons, but if I'm taking a center to start a team with (let's say for one season, because Crosby is getting up there) he's still in my top 5 picks.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Is it weird that I think putting Matthews over Crosby is premature? Not that it's necessarily "wrong", but Matthews really hasn't proven to be better than Crosby at this point. Like he hasn't shown to be on that clearly better level that guys like McDavid, MacKinnon and Draisaitl have shown. Matthews has a better pace than Crosby this year, but he and Crosby essentially tied last year (in a year where Crosby had to get back surgery due to a hernia) and Crosby smoked him in 2018-2019.

I think McDavid is clearly #1, MacKinnon and Draisaitl are debatable for #2 and #3, and the debate really opens up at #4.

People acting like Crosby is washed really aren't living in reality:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad