Is Crosby still a top 5 center?

what do you think?

• Total voters

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Malkin scored at a ridiculous pace vs them. Max talbot outscored crosby that series. And not sure why you're bringing up injuries when Crosby has had way more injury trouble than anyone else brought up in this thread. Are you suggesting its better to be a slow player? My point was it takes a team to win. Their response was it only took 2 players. I provided examples how crosby didn't do any thing in the finals and multiple other players took that series away from Detroit.

(I) Malkin played against an injured Datsyuk, who didn’t even play the first couple of games of the series. Crosby played against Zetterberg and Lidstrom.

(II) I never said anything about injuries in that post?

(III) I eluded to speed not being the sole answer against that Red Wings team. They were also fast and hit hard. You had to grind it out against them.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
(I) Malkin played against an injured Datsyuk, who didn’t even play the first couple of games of the series. Crosby played against Zetterberg and Lidstrom.

(II) I never said anything about injuries?

(III) I eluded to speed not being the sole answer against that Red Wings team. They were also fast and hit hard. You had to grind it out against them.
My bad then. I misinterpreted what you meant by speed being fine until you were hit by Kronwall. Also in the final game Penguins scored both their goals when crosby was out of the lineup injured from a hit. Again malkin's line contributing and getting the job done against the top matchups. My point still stands it takes a team to win and Crosby's teammates bailed him out that series I don't see any logical argument against that still

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
The answer is no. Crosby has now reached the downside of the mountain of his career.

Can Crosby have one more great year where he is challenging for the top point producers?

Maybe, but as each year goes by this becomes less and less likely.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
No. I take McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon, Barkov, Matthews before Crosby. Crosby is still a Top10 C though, but theese 5 are certainly better than him now.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
McDavid, Draisaitl, MacKinnon, and Matthews have not faced anything in the same universe defensively as a team comprised of Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Hossa, and Lidstrom in the playoffs...

Also, speed is a good strategy until a player like Kronwall catches you.

And? This thread is about NOW. Not "what has he done 10-15yrs ago"

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Can someone give me a legitimate argument for why ranking Matthews above Crosby is legitimate? I'm honestly just not seeing it unless you're only looking at this year.

I could buy the idea that Matthews is having a better year this year than Crosby (although he has totally farmed points in his 6 games against the Senators), but I wouldn't rank Matthews over Crosby yet. If you're going to ding Crosby for being bad in the playoffs in the last 2 years, how are you also going to put Matthews ahead of him? Frankly I think the case for Barkov over Crosby is kinda flimsy too. Crosby has out-produced or out-paced Barkov in every year before this year and Crosby's defensive analytics are also strong.

I think Matthews, Barkov and Crosby are all in that 4-6 tier, while McDavid is clearly #1 and Draisaitl and MacKinnon are clearly #2 and #3.

Last edited:

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
On paper no.

But I give him the benefit of the doubt to slide in at #5 until he finishes a complete season under a PPG and has another lackluster first round playoff exit.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
My bad then. I misinterpreted what you meant by speed being fine until you were hit by Kronwall. Also in the final game Penguins scored both their goals when crosby was out of the lineup injured from a hit. Again malkin's line contributing and getting the job done against the top matchups. My point still stands it takes a team to win and Crosby's teammates bailed him out that series I don't see any logical argument against that still
This is false.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Can someone give me a legitimate argument for why ranking Matthews above Crosby is legitimate? I'm honestly just not seeing it unless you're only looking at this year.

I could buy the idea that Matthews is having a better year this year than Crosby (although he has totally farmed points in his 6 games against the Senators), but I wouldn't rank Matthews over Crosby yet. If you're going to ding Crosby for being bad in the playoffs in the last 2 years, how are you also going to put Matthews ahead of him? Frankly I think the case for Barkov over Crosby is kinda flimsy too. Crosby has out-produced or out-paced Barkov in every year before this year and Crosby's defensive analytics are also strong.

I think Matthews, Barkov and Crosby are all in that 4-6 tier, while McDavid is clearly #1 and Draisaitl and MacKinnon are clearly #2 and #3.
Last year Matthews had a 72% higher goal/gp than Crosby did, and essentially the same points/gp.

This year Matthews has a 76% higher goal/gp than Crosby, and 17% higher points/gp.

Seems like a legitimate argument. Based on the last 2 years, Matthews is the same/better than Crosby offensively overall, and significantly better at scoring goals.

Reactions: Zuluss

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad