Is Crosby still a top 10 player in your eyes?

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
I’d say so. Even top-5 maybe, if I had to make a list of 5 players that I would like to add for a playoff run, would be hard to keep him off.

Reactions: NinjaKick

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Absolutely. Still top 10 in scoring, making very dynamic play, very solid Defense and neutral zone play, still winning tons of draws, controls the Powerplay. And he can still take over the ice on any given shift.

Add in his leadership ability and ‘clutch’ factor and he’s easily top 10.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Eh maybe. He's fringe top 10 I suppose. 14th in points over the past 3 seasons, 32nd in goals.

He's got a nice offensive upside but he's a defensive liability (not that it matters because he really isn't asked to play much defense).

Predictable embarrassing take from a guy who voted for Ovie as the 2nd best player for this season.

I guess it is what it is.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
There isn't, and there ought not to be, a single GM who wouldn't move the world to get Crosby on their team.
There are a very select few players who anyone would say no to on a straight 1 for 1 trade, but those are very very few.

Because Sid is absolutely still a top 10 player, and he will continue to be a top echelon player for some time.

Reactions: Nathaniel Skywalker

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Player? Probably not when you include goalies and defencemen.

Forward? Sure.

Center? Top 5 probably. Only ones truly ahead of him this year would be Matthews, Mac, McJesus and maybe Barkov. Either way he's as good or better than most in the Tier just below McDavid.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Eh maybe. He's fringe top 10 I suppose. 14th in points over the past 3 seasons, 32nd in goals.

He's got a nice offensive upside but he's a defensive liability (not that it matters because he really isn't asked to play much defense).

How often are you going to push this narrative before you start to feel silly doing it? I get that Ovechkin's "controller disconnect" meme has broken your psyche, but stop projecting.

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Maybe or maybe not talent wise but he's got a higher HIQ than McDavid and MacKinnon put together. So yeah he's easily top 10, top 5 in my book

jalidi

Apr 5, 2012
His points/games over the past 3 seasons is 1.19, which puts Crosby at #9 with every person ahead of him being younger. He's definitely still top 10, even after 15 years and 1000+ games played.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010

A lot of defensive liability last night 2:25

Bowski

GO LEAFS GO!
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2004
Kitchener
Why did anyone necro/reply to this pointless thread and actually engage conversation with the "Crosby is a defensive liability" troll?

Screw your eyes, he's coming for you in the playoffs, top whateverthef*** see ya next year top 10!

Reactions: canadianguy77

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Yes and even better in the playoffs.

Lots of players do well in the regular season but Crosby is about as proven as it gets when everything is on the line.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Probably, but barely. Just looking at forwards I think McDavid, Drai, Mathews, Marchand, Panarin is above him at this point. Then theres Kane, Marner, Stone, Rantanen, Huberdeu, Barkov, Oreilly, Bergeron, Pastrnak. Probably someone else im missing too. Crosby imo is somewhere inbetween those two groups. I guess you can even argue hes better than Marchand and Panarin, it is really hard to compare like that. Top15 for sure. Though, if you add in D-men aswell, he might not be in the top10.

The fact that Kucherov’s name is missing from this list just shows how little respect Tampa gets. Point’s name should be above several of those as well.

metalan2

May 30, 2008
Probably, but barely. Just looking at forwards I think McDavid, Drai, Mathews, Marchand, Panarin is above him at this point. Then theres Kane, Marner, Stone, Rantanen, Huberdeu, Barkov, Oreilly, Bergeron, Pastrnak. Probably someone else im missing too. Crosby imo is somewhere inbetween those two groups. I guess you can even argue hes better than Marchand and Panarin, it is really hard to compare like that. Top15 for sure. Though, if you add in D-men aswell, he might not be in the top10.

Damn.

None of "Kane, Marner, Stone, Rantanen, Huberdeu, Barkov, Oreilly, Bergeron, Pastrnak" are above Crosby in any fashion.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
He is fringe top 10. He leads the League in empty net points that make his offensive stats look decent.
Defensively, he's been ok.
He's been relatively injury free.

Still an effective player at his age.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Unpopular opinion but sometimes a player's best hockey doesn't come from the peak point total seasons, where they're trying to carry a team instead of playing the game in a natural, easy way.

Doing what the team needs, controlling play through efficient decision making - those things are mastery of the game. Still think that Crosby is playing some incredible hockey these days. The whole "letting the game come to him"-thing has always been his wheelhouse but he's on another level now.

Reactions: karlstegger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad