Speculation: Is Connor Brown the worst forward in our top 13?

ShameOnYouZidlicky

Jun 4, 2010
I think Babcock should scratch Brown for a few games closer to the end of the season to light a fire under his ass. Currently at this point Ennis, Petan and Moore provide more energy and jump than Brown. He's a responsible player but I'd rather have high energy players on the 4th line as opposed to a sluggish Brown

It will be interesting to see how Babcock uses Moore in the playoffs. He hasn't been afraid to play guys with little regular season experience in the playoffs (eg. Kapanen vs WSH and Johnsson vs. BOS). Even in Detroit he used guys like Helm and Abdelkader in the playoffs after late season call ups IIRC.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Brown is the definition of a plug, absolutely terrible at everything but just slightly good enough that he can play in the NHL or win the favour of his coach.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Brown is hands down the worst offensive player on the team other than goat. Babcock has him transformed him into playing like Hyman, only he's a lot smaller and less effective at that style.

I'd take him over Marleau by a hair though simply because Marleau doesn't PK and can't keep up as well any more.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Would be interesting to see if Brown get a seat at the press box when Kadri comes back.
I really like the 4th line of Ennis-Goat-Moore. They have a lot of jump and when Goat throws his body more, that’s a very solid line.

Reactions: dsred and smitty10

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Among NHL forwards:
Connor Brown has 24th most penalty-killing ice-time and is 44th in PPGA.
Frank J. Selke Trophy winner,
Anze Kopitar has 32nd most penalty-killing ice-time and is 7th in PPGA

And now to change the topic,
Connor Brown has the same amount of short-handed points as Kapanen has power-play points.

Reactions: Keon1963

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
We have to keep in mind Hyman has been placed in basically the ideal spot to be successful. Hustle and energy but not a lot of talent yet playing continuously with very talented players and through any unproductive periods. I suspect Brown would be outscoring Hyman given the same minutes and line mates. Brownie is not a 6% shooter and Hyman is not a 14% shooter, but Hyman has a better physical game and the lineup has too many talented wingers to gift CB a better role as was done with Hyman. Without Kap, AJ and Marleau the Leafs would seem to be a great opportunity for him to succeed but it is what it is. The club has too much dangle and if he was way more physical he could push his way up the lineup but he isn't. He might be declining young or he might be capable of way more than he has shown so far with the Leafs. A middle six guy on a club with less depth is his ideal landing spot because it sure isnt here.

Hyman has consistently brought more of the "other" ingredients that warranted his better assignments with the extra dangle, whereas Brown has just been lapped by other prospects like Kapanen, Johnsson, and continually sinks down the lineup. He's just not a great athlete, kind of jack of all trades.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I created a similar thread. Brown and trade. For whatever reason this year his stick is like a bumper. Only good on PK. Hes faster, but when he wins a battle he botches the pass or a second opposing team player knocks it away.

I believe he and maybe Kadri will be traded in the off season. Burke seems to think itll be William and hes an idiot, they do trade the 2 above before Nylander any day.

He's slightly faster but his hands didn't catch up. Now he looks like a Matt Stajan.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
How on earth is he better than Ennis and Moore. They're faster, better shot, better stickhandling, better hockey IQ, more confidence.

He maybe PKs better? Although I'm not entirely sure that's true

No way is he better than Ennis or Moore.

As for the question - yes, he definitely is our worst.

With that said, I can see him being a solid middle 6 winger on another team if he regains his confidence in the offensive zone

Just wait till the honeymoon period runs dry on the new kids, and especially when their offense dries up when they start getting tougher matchups. Basically what happened to Brown. Offensively both Ennis and Moore are producing probably better than they will over the remainder of their careers imo, and I’d guess Brown is producing worse than the remainder.

If the question who is having a better year then it’s Ennis and Moore. But the question was who is the better player.

Reactions: Keon1963

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Just wait till the honeymoon period runs dry on the new kids, and especially when their offense dries up when they start getting tougher matchups. Basically what happened to Brown. Offensively both Ennis and Moore are producing probably better than they will over the remainder of their careers imo, and I’d guess Brown is producing worse than the remainder.

If the question who is having a better year then it’s Ennis and Moore. But the question was who is the better player.
I don't know about that. It's not like Brown has played difficult minutes so far this season, and most of his claim to fame comes from unsustainable production with Matthews on a very sheltered rookie line.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I think Brown can be a useful complementary player though. I think he'd look fine in a Hyman-like role on a line with two play-driving linemates. He's never really had that.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I don't know about that. It's not like Brown has played difficult minutes so far this season, and most of his claim to fame comes from unsustainable production with Matthews on a very sheltered rookie line.

I get that, I’m just saying that I think Ennis and Moore’s claim to fame with the Leafs is also going to be unsustainable production on a sheltered line. But I’d probably give Brown the edge over Ennis and Moore based on what I’ve seen.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Did you not compare him to Hyman?
Hyman

2016-2017 - 16:42 for 28 points
2017-2018 - 17:21 for 40 points
2018-2019 - 17:22 for 31 points

Neither play on the power play but Hyman plays 5 on 5 with the likes of Tavares, Matthews and Marner during the course of 3 seasons. Showing he gets far more offensive opportunities than Brown does. More ice time = more time to get points.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Said it again and again.

Switch the wingers that are on the 4th line that are on the 3rd line right now.

Moore - Nylander - Ennis/Petan
Marleau - Gauthier/Petan - Brown

Reactions: Slyfox

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I get that, I’m just saying that I think Ennis and Moore’s claim to fame with the Leafs is also going to be unsustainable production on a sheltered line. But I’d probably give Brown the edge over Ennis and Moore based on what I’ve seen.
We'll see. I really like Moore though, he looks like that kind of player that can provide speed, work ethic, and skill, and use it all to have a strong impact. I'd be curious to see him up the lineup.

I pick Brown over Ennis though. Ennis is good in the way that he can use his skill and elusiveness to challenge fourth liners and create offense on his own. I don't think he could do it in a top nine role, and I don't like how he plays with other skilled guys. He's got tunnel vision.

Reactions: mavis

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I always find this misconception interesting as Brown played the most with and produced the most with Kadri and Komarov in his rookie season getting hard shut down use on that line.

After that it was Matthews and Hyman whereby they werent really a dedicated scoring line. Hyman at this point was whipping boy #1 so not exactly a stacked line.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
We'll see. I really like Moore though, he looks like that kind of player that can provide speed, work ethic, and skill, and use it all to have a strong impact. I'd be curious to see him up the lineup.

Pretty sure we all said that about Brown his first year, but he’s just been around a couple more years and makes more money at this point. I agree with you, though. We’ll have to see.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Brown is one dimensional. He just works hard in the defensive zone, that's it. Can't make plays, can't score goals, can't handle the puck, nothing.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The guy is the most entitled player on the team. He does not at all deserve his minutes. With Moore he is completely redundant.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Brown is hands down the worst offensive player on the team other than goat. Babcock has him transformed him into playing like Hyman, only he's a lot smaller and less effective at that style.

I'd take him over Marleau by a hair though simply because Marleau doesn't PK and can't keep up as well any more.

Come on now... that's not fair. Goat at least has a pretty good shot!

67Leafs67

Nov 8, 2014
Yeah, I would agree with the sentiment in general. At the very least he is overrated by Babcock and the majority of Leafs fans, mostly because of his past pedigree. He's not a bad player, but he is certainly only a complementary player at best. He won't drag a line down, but if he isn't playing with skilled guys, he is not going to do anything at all.

He's got the tools, has the former 20 goal scorer pedigree, and the OHL leading scorer pedigree, and the speed to fit with this team. Just can't move the puck well, or stickhandle effectively. I honestly think that he could still be a decent bottom six forward on any NHL team, but my main problem is that I think Moore & Ennis are better players, so if he slots onto the 4th line at their expense, I think it's a mistake.

Reactions: dsred

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I'll do my top 13 in order bc why not.
1. Matthews 2. Tavares 3. Marner 4. Willy 5. Kappy 6. Kadri 7. Johnsson 8. Hyman 9. Moore 10. Ennis 11. Marleau 12. Brown 13. Gaut

But Gaut is asked to do very little while Brown is asked to do way too much. Gaut is perfectly fine in his role. Brown... man has to go.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I've been a fan of Brown for a long time but this season has been very very... underwhelming. I don't know what's going on with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00