Speculation: Is Connor Brown the worst forward in our top 13?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
he might be.

thing is, I think I blame babcock for brainwashing him into stopping even trying to create any offense out there, and just gudproing it up instead.

brown consistently tried to create with the puck when he was a rookie. we never see that anymore.
In his rookie season, he apparently had good passing stats across all categories. I remember him having very all-round numbers and high-end overall passing and danger passing totals. Those seem to have cratered since then.

Whatever happened, it seems like he doesn't provide a whole lot of value above replacement level in any role right now.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
13? no
12? maybe but id still say no
10? yes easily our top 10 forwards (1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line then brown) easily the worst and our 4th line works without a $2.1M player so that all adds up to brown being moved.

$2.1M is too much for what he brings and our cap crunch. He will be moved maybe for a pick at the draft (a 2nd? or dare I say a late 1st?) or in a package for an upgrade somewhere else.

Reactions: Cobra777

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He’s better than the Goat.

He’s fine as a player, the problem is players like him are fantastic value at league minimum (or close to it), but that value starts to plummet the more money they earn.

2 million is just too much money when you can get a bargain bin free agent signing or up and coming youngster on an ELC to do the same thing

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
13? no
12? maybe but id still say no
10? yes easily our top 10 forwards (1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line then brown) easily the worst and our 4th line works without a $2.1M player so that all adds up to brown being moved.

$2.1M is too much for what he brings and our cap crunch. He will be moved maybe for a pick at the draft (a 2nd? or dare I say a late 1st?) or in a package for an upgrade somewhere else.

Better ask babcock first though or he may whine about not having the right players

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
He’s better than the Goat.

He’s fine as a player, the problem is players like him are fantastic value at league minimum (or close to it), but that value starts to plummet the more money they earn.

2 million is just too much money when you can get a bargain bin free agent signing or up and coming youngster on an ELC to do the same thing
Better? Does he win face-offs or play on 4th line all the time? The Goat is actually outperforming many forwards based on his icetime. Plus, Brown has played about double the icetime of Freddy along with 10 extra games. Yet he does not have double the points.. The goat is also a year younger and makes not even half of what Brown makes and has thrown almost 3x as many hits. I would be comfortable in trading Kadri to improve defense and moving the goat to the 3rd line next season if was up to me. Be more defensive based 3rd line with less points but shutdown line is needed after 2 lines of offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Beyonder91

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
The only possible area I could buy that we would miss him would be the PK. He's terrible even strength or PP. He gets my vote for worst.

Beyonder91

RASMUS
Oct 13, 2006
Toronto
Good reliable player that works hard and well trusted by Babcock at both ends of the ice.

He kills penalties and gives his line further defensive awareness.

He is better than all the 4th line players at present, however he ends up as one of them when everyone is healthy.

I thought you said he was a better goal scorer than Marner?

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Based on what? Are you just posting this to elicit an emotional response (trolling)?

On the basis that Brown is stronger and faster than Marleau and kills penalties.

Marleau only beats him at having a scoring touch, but unless someone else does all the work for Marleau, he's basically invisible (if not a significant drag on his linemates).

Marleau skates by peoples criticism due to his past accomplishments and reputations - and not his actual on-ice impact.

So yes, the 25 year old Brown is better than the corpse of Marleau.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Value, perhaps. But in terms of on-ice impact, Gauthier's a clear last place.
Value adds to the on ice impact. If had 6+ million extra that's possible star player or possibly maybe signing both Johnsson and Kapanen together next season is big value. Having more space to improve areas of concern is huge. Leadership adds sure but we have Tavares now..

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Value adds to the on ice impact. If had 6+ million extra that's possible star player or possibly maybe signing both Johnsson and Kapanen together next season is big value. Having more space to improve areas of concern is huge. Leadership adds sure but we have Tavares now..

The question was "is connor brown the worst forward in our top 13?"

It's a question about who's the worst hockey player. We're not talking about cap impact, etc.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
The question was "is connor brown the worst forward in our top 13?"

It's a question about who's the worst hockey player. We're not talking about cap impact, etc.
Few factors have to consider but hard to say who is the worst. That will come down to opinion and preference.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
On the basis that Brown is stronger and faster than Marleau and kills penalties.

Marleau only beats him at having a scoring touch, but unless someone else does all the work for Marleau, he's basically invisible (if not a significant drag on his linemates).

Marleau skates by peoples criticism due to his past accomplishments and reputations - and not his actual on-ice impact.

So yes, the 25 year old Brown is better than the corpse of Marleau.

Brown vs Marleau is debatable. I'd say Marleau is better offensively and Brown defensively. Marleau averages more ice time, which can help or hinder different stats. Marleau might play with better players, but he'd also face better competition. Depends on what one values more in a player, and also maybe comparing each aspect of their respective game. (stronger vs stronger, lesser vs lesser, stronger vs lesser)

Reactions: Guy Boucher

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
1) Goat
2) Marleau
3) Brown

- Goat just wins faceoffs. His size is irrelevant because he plays like hes 5'8.
- Marleaus age has caught up to him and does next to nothing. Couldn't care less about his ironman streak.
- Brown kills penalties and little else. Easily replaced on the PK by Moore or anyone else.

Reactions: Cobra777 and dsred

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
This thread is rife with people severely underrating Trevor Moore. It reminds me of last season when people weren't sure if AJ was better than Komorov.

Moore is much better than Ennis/Gauthier/Brown/Marleau. You'll see.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Not even close. In a full lineup, he's easily 9th or 10th. It becomes a tossup from 11-14.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad