Speculation: Is Connor Brown the worst forward in our top 13?

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
I dont dislike Brown but he's looked somewhat out of place. Good at p.k. thats about it . For making twice as much as guys like Ennis, Moore you would expect his presents to be felt a little bit more .

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I think you should check Brown's ice time.
Okay here.
2016-2017 - 16:12 average ice time , 20 goals 16 assists for 36 points
2017-2018 - 15:01 average ice time , 14 goals 14 assists for 28 points
2018-2019 - 14:15 average ice time , 5 goals , 18 assists for 23 points

Who would think, less ice time would mean less points?

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Probably Gauthier, but he fills a role as an energy line centre. Also probably Moore. However given his cap hit and position he is probably the most extendable forward.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
I've always thought Brown was the perfect bottom-six guy, a player who can be relied upon in all situations and can play up and down the line-up, but unfortunately I have to say I think he's been underwhelming at best this season, and lately he's looked dreadful at times. His offensive abilities have completely dissipated. No shot, no hands, doesn't even really forecheck or defend as well as he did in his first two seasons. It might be the result of coaching, but I doubt it explains everything, because to me it looks like his entire game has declined. I like him, but he's taken a step back this year.

And a hearty laugh towards those who think he's been better than Ennis or Moore.

Reactions: dsred

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Brown and Hyman began their careers on the same starting line and one has improved every year at various aspects and the other looks like he’s getting worse by the day. Brown’s not a natural athlete and he’s not really built well for a bottom six role either, but isn’t skilled enough to be placed into a top 6 job. He may be a good second line stop gap on a weaker club. But on Toronto he’s somewhat orphaned. Too bad for him. In any other era he would have been a serviceable Leaf.

Reactions: smitty10

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
Pretty good. Here's how I'd do it:

Tier 1: Matthews, Marner, Tavares
Tier 2: Kadri, Kapanen, Nylander, Johnsson, Hyman
Tier 3: Marleau, Ennis (Moore might be here in future)
Tier 4: Moore, Goat, Petan, Brown

Tier 1:Matthews Marner Tavares
Tier 2:Kap Nylander Johnsson
Tier 3:Hyman Kadri
Tier 4:Marleau Ennis Moore
Tier 5:Petan
Tier 6:Goat Brown

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Fair enough, but that wasn’t part of the question.

You said he isn’t better then Moore or the goat. My response was not $1.4m better than them. And to be honest this season it’s a lot closer that it should be. If Moore played every game I think he could quite easily overtake brown

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
inb4 another useless babcock hate thread

He's better than Ennis and Moore, imo.

No way is he better than Ennis or Moore.

As for the question - yes, he definitely is our worst.

With that said, I can see him being a solid middle 6 winger on another team if he regains his confidence in the offensive zone

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Brown and Hyman began their careers on the same starting line and one has improved every year at various aspects and the other looks like he’s getting worse by the day. Brown’s not a natural athlete and he’s not really built well for a bottom six role either, but isn’t skilled enough to be placed into a top 6 job. He may be a good second line stop gap on a weaker club. But on Toronto he’s somewhat orphaned. Too bad for him. In any other era he would have been a serviceable Leaf.

We have to keep in mind Hyman has been placed in basically the ideal spot to be successful. Hustle and energy but not a lot of talent yet playing continuously with very talented players and through any unproductive periods. I suspect Brown would be outscoring Hyman given the same minutes and line mates. Brownie is not a 6% shooter and Hyman is not a 14% shooter, but Hyman has a better physical game and the lineup has too many talented wingers to gift CB a better role as was done with Hyman. Without Kap, AJ and Marleau the Leafs would seem to be a great opportunity for him to succeed but it is what it is. The club has too much dangle and if he was way more physical he could push his way up the lineup but he isn't. He might be declining young or he might be capable of way more than he has shown so far with the Leafs. A middle six guy on a club with less depth is his ideal landing spot because it sure isnt here.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I dont dislike Brown but he's looked somewhat out of place. Good at p.k. thats about it . For making twice as much as guys like Ennis, Moore you would expect his presents to be felt a little bit more .
Is he good at PK? Our PK is #16.

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
Okay here.
2016-2017 - 16:12 average ice time , 20 goals 16 assists for 36 points
2017-2018 - 15:01 average ice time , 14 goals 14 assists for 28 points
2018-2019 - 14:15 average ice time , 5 goals , 18 assists for 23 points

Who would think, less ice time would mean less points?
Did you not compare him to Hyman?

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
Is he good at PK? Our PK is #16.
So is that all Browns doing that they're 16th on the pk ?
Im not saying he's a born again Jere Lehtinen out there killing penalties but in contrast to doing anything else major him playing short handed is probably his best suit

56 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
So is that all Browns doing that they're 16th on the pk ?
Im not saying he's a born again Jere Lehtinen out there killing penalties but in contrast to doing anything else major him playing short handed is probably his best suit
Our PK is 16th. His role is not making the PK better. If our PK was #1 and he was big part of it you might say he adds value.

He sucks 5 on 5, and his presence doesn't elevate our PK. Not enough for $2.1 million AAV

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I created a similar thread. Brown and trade. For whatever reason this year his stick is like a bumper. Only good on PK. Hes faster, but when he wins a battle he botches the pass or a second opposing team player knocks it away.

I believe he and maybe Kadri will be traded in the off season. Burke seems to think itll be William and hes an idiot, they do trade the 2 above before Nylander any day.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
he might be.

thing is, I think I blame babcock for brainwashing him into stopping even trying to create any offense out there, and just gudproing it up instead.

brown consistently tried to create with the puck when he was a rookie. we never see that anymore.

One would have to assume it's Babs' doing, but who knows? The change in Brown's game from his rookie season is a real head-scratcher. I get he's not going to produce as much without Matty, but just how he approaches the game on the ice, like if he's leading the rush, you can see it in him that he just wants the puck off his stick.

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
He is just above Gauthier for the worst.

The biggest thing he had going for him two seasons ago was his tenacity. He worked hard in the corners and sped on the forecheck. He has always been less than ideal with passing and zone clears, but his effort helped ease that.

This season to go along with his inability to create offence is honestly a lack of drive. Although its annoying that Hyman is permanently stapled to the top 6 - atleast you see him flying and forechecking and giving every bit of effort. Brown is only effective if he plays that way too.

The most frustrating thing is despite his poor play and his lack of effort, due to his off ice ethic he will not be punished or benched when need be.

Too much is at stake for favourites to be played above players who have performed better.

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
Our PK is 16th. His role is not making the PK better. If our PK was #1 and he was big part of it you might say he adds value.

He sucks 5 on 5, and his presence doesn't elevate our PK. Not enough for $2.1 million AAV
Well since he's currently on the active roster i guess he has to assume some type of responsibility being apart of the team .
He's not overall bad enough to be sat (least to this point) and he will most likely be peddled somewhere else in the summer .
Just have to hope maybe he accidentally blocks a few shots short handed and the pk gets up to 15th in the league

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto

I think even his PK ability is overstated

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad