Is Colorado really that far off from being Edmonton?

Smart Dunsparce*

Considering they were 2nd in the West last year and made the playoffs last year... that's why they aren't held to the same standard :laugh:

Even before the fluke of a season they had last year they weren't held to the same standards, be honest with yourself. They were a **** team then, Varlamov sent them to the playoffs last year, and they are crap now averaging 80% attendance after a monster season. They are the Oilers without the fan support.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I have to admit I am surprised to hear another team's fanbase say that Johnny Malkin is an important part of their team, but good for him. Always like his attitude on the ice.

He was an effective depth center last season.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Even before the fluke of a season they had last year they weren't held to the same standards, be honest with yourself. They were a **** team then, Varlamov sent them to the playoffs last year, and they are crap now averaging 80% attendance after a monster season. They are the Oilers without the fan support.

They weren't good, but we're discussing EDM vs COL and:

AVS >>>>>> Oilers

.. now, last several years, and going forward. Held to the same standards. May be it's just the differences in how the fans accept it.

Smart Dunsparce*

They weren't good, but we're discussing EDM vs COL and:

AVS >>>>>> Oilers

.. now, last several years, and going forward. Held to the same standards. May be it's just the differences in how the fans accept it.

Oilers are a turd... im positive that everyone can agree with that, because of Varlamov last year the Avalanche had a monstrous season... again we can all agree with that. With the trends of the Avalanche though I feel like I am not wrong in calling the Avs a polished turd. High level of skill on that team going down the toilet. Not trying to be mean or anything, but the only thing that differentiates these 2 teams last yeas was a goalie playing out of his mind.

Smart Dunsparce*

Oilers are a turd... im positive that everyone can agree with that, because of Varlamov last year the Avalanche had a monstrous season... again we can all agree with that. With the trends of the Avalanche though I feel like I am not wrong in calling the Avs a polished turd. High level of skill on that team going down the toilet. Not trying to be mean or anything, but the only thing that differentiates these 2 teams last yeas was a goalie playing out of his mind.

** differennciates these 2 teams last year, this year and several years prior.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

Avs are having growing pains. Edmonton is trying to reach puberty, theres a difference.

Do you consider Tampa similar to the Avs and Edmonton as well? Because you said based on previous seasons that after seeing the numbers between Colorado and Edmonton, the teams are closer than you thought. Following your logic, based on regular season stats, Tampa is right there with the Avs and Oilers.

Tampa's last 6 years:

8th
28th
21st
8th
25th
30th

DoubleDouble*

Avs are having growing pains. Edmonton is trying to reach puberty, theres a difference.

Do you consider Tampa similar to the Avs and Edmonton as well? Because you said based on previous seasons that after seeing the numbers between Colorado and Edmonton, the teams are closer than you thought. Following your logic, based on regular season stats, Tampa is right there with the Avs and Oilers.

Tampa's last 6 years:

8th
28th
21st
8th
25th
30th

The big difference is that they are trending up, strongly, and do not look to be a bottom 10 this season. In fact, they should be top 5-8.

That's a big difference, the Avs are right back at the bottom and could pick top 3 for the 4th time in 7 years unless they turn things around.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I feel like a lot of people get hung up on their top talent, which is right there with the best of them. Unfortunately their depth falls off a cliff in a hurry.

Spinkis

Dec 26, 2011
colorado isn't close to the lottery pick masters of the oilers. They made the playoff two times in their rebuild and was a regular season beast last year.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
When was the last time Edmonton had even 80 points?

Colorado doesn't get a free pass, they get crapped on all the time. Why does Dallas get a free pass? They were the offseason darlings. Why does Columbus get a free pass, oh yeah injuries but the Avs have over 150 man games lost, what about Philadelphia?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
The big difference is that they are trending up, strongly, and do not look to be a bottom 10 this season. In fact, they should be top 5-8.

That's a big difference, the Avs are right back at the bottom and could pick top 3 for the 4th time in 7 years unless they turn things around.

You know, the easy thing would just make a poll if you're so adamant Edmonton and Colorado are closer than everyone thinks. See what the general consensus is.

DoubleDouble*

You know, the easy thing would just make a poll if you're so adamant Edmonton and Colorado are closer than everyone thinks. See what the general consensus is.

Not looking for a consensus, just wanted to throw it out there. A lot of organizations get thrown under the bus around here, but I think COL has gotten a free pass because so many of us like their youngsters. If they were a lottery team again this year, they would be on year 7 of their rebuild and I think it would be hard to really say there is a huge gap between them and Edmonton.

DoubleDouble*

When was the last time Edmonton had even 80 points?

Colorado doesn't get a free pass, they get crapped on all the time. Why does Dallas get a free pass? They were the offseason darlings. Why does Columbus get a free pass, oh yeah injuries but the Avs have over 150 man games lost, what about Philadelphia?

Columbus does not get a free pass at all. No one even mentions them in any kind of positive manner. Dallas I would say are still the darlings for most people, and much like Colorado, not everyone is willing to write off their season yet.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Not looking for a consensus, just wanted to throw it out there. A lot of organizations get thrown under the bus around here, but I think COL has gotten a free pass because so many of us like their youngsters. If they were a lottery team again this year, they would be on year 7 of their rebuild and I think it would be hard to really say there is a huge gap between them and Edmonton.

COL doesn't get a free pass, all of last year, along with the start of this year people were saying the Avs aren't good, etc. They just aren't the laughing stock of the league like Edmonton is, so they don't get as much hate.

The Avs just cleaned out the old regime last year. I guarantee you if the Oilers cleaned out management and hired some competent people, they would be given more slack.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Colorado can be "just like Edmonton" and make the playoffs every other year, fine by me.

I also wouldn't say Colorado is in year 7 of a rebuild. Sure they stocked some talent but when Sakic and Roy took over that was a new era, they've changed a lot about the organization and how they are building depth, the minors and prospect system, those things take time.

Superpest

Undrafted Free Agent
May 20, 2009
Cascadia
I still think Colorado is just struggling.

They need help on defence though, I mean Guenin and Holden are still there

PSGJ

May 19, 2012
Sweden
If I was an Avs fan i would be really worried about the fact that the team has adopted the Oilers personnel policy. Just bring in as many guys from the golden years as possible into management. This is likely to be a very bad idea.

SLarmer28*

Columbus does not get a free pass at all. No one even mentions them in any kind of positive manner. Dallas I would say are still the darlings for most people, and much like Colorado, not everyone is willing to write off their season yet.
Jim Nill was hired as general manager of the Dallas Stars on April 29, 2013. Lindy Ruff, head coach of the Dallas Stars, was hired by General Manager Jim Nill on June 21, 2013.

How long has Kevin "6 rings" Lowe and his merry band of cronies have been running the ship into the ground?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Avs finishes the last 6 years: 28, 14, 29, 19, 29, 3.
Oilers finishes the last 6 years. 21, 30, 30, 29, 24, 28.

This is the only thing that needs to be said. They haven't been great but they have still been much better than Edmonton.

Also, they are built much better than Edmonton. They're deep at centre, have a #1D and a #1G.

Edmonton may not even have a #1C (with the way RNH has played) and have no top pairing D and its debatable if Scrivens is a #1 at this point.

Edmonton is still in a league of their own over the last 6 years.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Colorado and Florida are two teams that always seem to be terrible (drafting top 5), but once in a while randomly do well in a season and make the playoffs.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad