Is Chevy the best GM in the NHL?

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
He's and his team have done such a great job! I for one have always thought he's done an incredible job. Working in an environment that has the winters that we have and close to the highest tax rate in any of the NHL locations, he's accomplished and created a brotherhood that respects management, coaching and guys are buying in. This didn't happen by accident.

Reactions: Flair Hay

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Speaking of taxes ... I saw if Tavares signs ($11 million per year) with the Stars or Lightning instead of the Sharks or Islanders or Leafs ... he saves 1.5 million a year in taxes.

I agree Chevy is a great GM.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Not clear yet. Chevy has proven he can build a contender but now he is in the part 2 of his job. Can he keep most of this talent he has built up and can they win it all. Jets are now in a very different situation now that they are a contender compared to when the were in the draft and development stage. If the Jets stay a contender for the next 5-10 years and maybe win a cup or two then yes he is the best GM in the league. The clock on part 2 started this past season and you got to say it was a success so far considering how young the team still is. Chevy has proven he knows how to build a team that can possibly win it all now he has to prove that he can manage a good team and keep them under the cap and still be a contender. I think Chevy will find part 2 harder then part 1.

My personal opinion is that yes he can do it but we will see over the next few seasons.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think we'll find out how good Chevy is in the coming days, and then over the next few years.

He's managed to build a very good NHL team and a deep organization, but the next challenge is to make the right choices to optimize the roster and maintain quality in the cap era. Now the emphasis shifts from focusing extensively on "draft and develop" to roster and cap management, and strategic trades, etc. Let's hope he is effective in those areas.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Chevy has clearly been the best GM in the league when it came to using their team's first draft pick in the 2011-2016 drafts. Not even close.

He's also managed to correct / sit out his worst mistakes (Pavelec, Stuart) and has changed his views on team building to the better over time (if you're asking the question "is a guy like Thorburn enough or do we need Peluso as well?", the answer might have surprised 2014 Chevy, but 2018 Chevy seems to know). The combination of all that has lead to a good team.

There were rumors that we were heavily interested in signing Karl Alzner last offseason. No, I'm not ready to call him the best GM in the league yet.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Chevy has clearly been the best GM in the league when it came to using their team's first draft pick in the 2011-2016 drafts. Not even close.

He's also managed to correct / sit out his worst mistakes (Pavelec, Stuart) and has changed his views on team building to the better over time (if you're asking the question "is a guy like Thorburn enough or do we need Peluso as well?", the answer might have surprised 2014 Chevy, but 2018 Chevy seems to know). The combination of all that has lead to a good team.

There were rumors that we were heavily interested in signing Karl Alzner last offseason. No, I'm not ready to call him the best GM in the league yet.
How should we decide which unsubstantiated rumors should be used to assess his performance?

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
If he upgrades from Little Myers Perreaul Mattias Dano Mason.
Signs Morrissey and Trouba 8 years.
Signs Wheels Helly Connor Laine
Inserts 2 Improvement rookies a year that replace aging vets.......stays under the Cap, well he'll be close top #1.:thumbu:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
as a complete outside I am amused about how he went from being one of the worst to one of the best in the last 24 months. Wasn't just you guys--but everyone called him no-trade chevy for the longest time--I think the rise in his respect is linked to you guys getting Laine and Chevy having the guys around him to help out

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
As some have said he has certainly grown into the role nicely and time will tell about his legacy.
He’s had some gaffes but mostly prudent moves ( with a little luck in Laine )
Having said that most of us are likely no different in our jobs...good mostly, bad at times and occasionally a bit of luck.
He’s grown on me and I can’t wait to see what’s up his sleeve this off season.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I think we'll find out how good Chevy is in the coming days, and then over the next few years.

He's managed to build a very good NHL team and a deep organization, but the next challenge is to make the right choices to optimize the roster and maintain quality in the cap era. Now the emphasis shifts from focusing extensively on "draft and develop" to roster and cap management, and strategic trades, etc. Let's hope he is effective in those areas.

Obviously, the buck stops with Chevy but an important part of this will be how well Larry Simmons does his job.

Reactions: ps241

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
By the end of this summer we will have a pretty good idea how Chevy plans to move forward. Will we see long term contracts for Trouba, JoMo and Helly which would go a long way to keeping the core together for the long term but would be expensive in the short term meaning player like Myers, MP and (Little?) will be traded away this summer. Or does he go the bridge route for these guys keeping their cost low enough that the Jets can keep most of this team intact to go for the cup again next year? Realistically next season may be the best overall Jets team talent wise going forward because once Laine and (Wheeler?) get their new contracts the Jets will have to lose some good young talent to pay for them and stay under the cap. Also I haven't even mentioned trying to keep Stastny and what he would do to the Jets cap situation if he were resigned.

Chevy has a very hard job going forward and it will be fascinating to see what he does. This will be one of the most interesting summers since the Jets came back to Winnipeg.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
He’s a very good GM but it would be going a little to far to say he’s the best. I mean what he’s built here in Winnipeg is a stacked roster that is arguably the best on paper roster in the league(and the best part about it is that it’s a young roster) but we can’t give him all the credit for it as I think the Scouts deserve more for it. There’s only one issue I have with him and it’s the trust he has in vets, I mean the way he handled the Stafford trade was pretty bad(had he moved him just a couple months before we could had gotten a late first to late 2nd round pick), moving. down to keep Enstrom(though Vesalainen is could potentially be a better pick than anything we got at 13 so he redeemed himself there but we still moved down in the draft for a player that wasn’t gonna stay on the team a year after that) the Little signing(we do not have the space to keep 5.3m on a visually declining Centerman, who I and many others guessed would decline before the season), the Byfuglien contract(this one isn’t as bad, he is/was one of the best defencemen in the league and deserved that cash at the time but the term and cash on it could had hurt our team going forward). If he didn’t have that flaw I’d say yes though(hopefully he learns to start being as strict on the vets as he is on other players when it comes to trust in value).

Reactions: probablywrongbut

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Chevy definitely gets extra points for doing it in Winnipeg. Does that make him the best, I don't know enough to say one way or another.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
I'm willing to call him the best GM in the league at building a contender. Let's see how he does at managing one.

I've got faith in him though, he's been pretty good at managing contracts so far, couple slip ups here and there but nothing damaging or stupid yet.

However, as many wise people have said before, THIS is the real test.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad