Is Chevy the best GM in the NHL?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Altho signing, and then the cost to get rid of Mason really raises some questions about Chevy's skill.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Hindsight.

Did you see Hellebuyck being a Vezina finalist, or Mason with concussion issues? Didn't think so.

Yup, Jets need a contingency after Helle had a sub par year during his first year as a starter. Mason was a good bet at the time, it just worked out that he had injury issues all year.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Hindsight.

Did you see Hellebuyck being a Vezina finalist, or Mason with concussion issues? Didn't think so.
Nope nor am I a GM?.I am also not even close to even being above average smarts about the Jets. Yet, Mason was run out of Philly for health problems no?

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
We win two playoffs rounds in 7 years, and we have the best GM in the league? Wow, had I known there was such rich and thick cool-aid being served, I might have been checking in more often. For the haters, I am not saying he is a bad GM - see my other posts about Chevy. But best in the NHL with pretty thin results is a bit over the top imho. But hopefully we will have some good years right ahead of us. By the way, I think he just admitted that he way overpaid for Mason last off season (not with words, with action). But if he feels that way, at least he is trying to clean up the mistake this time. Near term pain for medium / long term gain. Wish he had done so with Pav.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think he is absolutely top 3rd right now, maybe even top 5. The best? That is a big claim.

Reactions: ps241

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Since 2011, top 3 for gms, for sure.
Now?....absolutely a top 3 GM
Some really boneheaded signings in the past and goaltending mismanagement are lowering his grades for my liking to consider him “ top 3 “ since” 2011

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
We win two playoffs rounds in 7 years, and we have the best GM in the league? Wow, had I known there was such rich and thick cool-aid being served, I might have been checking in more often. For the haters, I am not saying he is a bad GM - see my other posts about Chevy. But best in the NHL with pretty thin results is a bit over the top imho. But hopefully we will have some good years right ahead of us. By the way, I think he just admitted that he way overpaid for Mason last off season (not with words, with action). But if he feels that way, at least he is trying to clean up the mistake this time. Near term pain for medium / long term gain. Wish he had done so with Pav.

I like your new avatar. :thumbu:

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I do see him as clearly one of the best GM’s in the NHL. In general I trust most of the things that he does. Unfortunately I can’t say the same as much about Maurice. Of course seems that Chevy trusts Maurice a lot though, so I guess I have a paradox here... :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Reports that Poile is signing Rinaldo to a two year deal. That's gotta knock him down a notch or two, right?

potroaster

Jul 1, 2012
Ok. So the signings and trades he has done well.
Scheiffle signing
Ehlers signing
Stasney trade
Kane trade
Ladd trade
Buff signing

Things that stink.
Kulikov signing 4.3 mil?
Little for another 6 years at 5.3?
Perrault at 4.5 for 4 years?
That Montreal deal. Enough said.
Not signing Stasney. Don't be telling us you want him if Cheapman says only 5.5? Expecting a home town discount? He's been here for only 3 months!
Matthias. That one made zero sense. One 18 goal season.
Jokinen at 4.5 mil
Stuart at 2.5 mil
Pav at 4 mil
Bogo signing. Well at least you were able to trade him.
Let Frolik go
Let Stepniak go.
And Trouba? Are we gonna milk this guy for all he's worth till he becomes a RFA? The answer is yes.

Reactions: Ares

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Good thing he didn't give in to the 6.5 for 3 years.

Jets going to need all the money they have for

Helly
Trouba
Morrissey
Laine
Lowry
And Wheeler

Going back to the question that forms the basis of this thread...

While sanity prevailed in the end, he did try to keep Stastny possibly at a detrimental price. How much has Chevy been saved from himself simply by players seeing greener pastures elsewhere? Or would people be happy with an overpaid line of Ladd-Stastny-Frolik for a few years?

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Process, process process!

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I don't know if Chevy can be deemed the "best" GM in the NHL, but I think it's fair to say that the Jets are among the very top teams in terms of roster and pipeline, and reached this status without some of the natural advantages that some markets have in terms of desirability for players and their families.

Everyone can use their own filters to decide how much role Chevy had in this result.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Chevy drafts really well. I don't see much proof that he is a good judge of talent at the pro level.

I think we need to invest in our pro scouting department. If it was half as good as our amateur department, we might have a lot fewer questions about Chevy's ...questionable moves.

Reactions: Georgetown Al

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Chevy drafts really well. I don't see much proof that he is a good judge of talent at the pro level.

I think we need to invest in our pro scouting department. If it was half as good as our amateur department, we might have a lot fewer questions about Chevy's ...questionable moves.
Not sure what the examples are...

He's made some decent acquisitions...

Perreault, Stastny, Stempniak, Frolik, Myers, Armia, Morrow, etc.

He's had some real duds, too...

Harrison, Setoguchi, etc.

On balance, I think his acquisitions have been reasonably good. He hasn't traded away many undervalued gems.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Not sure what the examples are...

He's made some decent acquisitions...

Perreault, Stastny, Stempniak, Frolik, Myers, Armia, Morrow, etc.

He's had some real duds, too...

Harrison, Setoguchi, etc.

On balance, I think his acquisitions have been reasonably good. He hasn't traded away many undervalued gems.
C'mon, man. Be genuine. First off, I didn't say he did anything badly, but said there was a lack of proof that he did a particular thing well.
Second, you said you can't think of any examples of what would support my point and then provided examples that support my point. Honestly way better examples than I could ever think of. If you can recall Harrison and Setoguchi off the top of your head then names like Matthias, Kulikov, Hendricks, Mason, other Mason, Jokinen, Hainsey, Ellerby, Pavelec and Stuart should come to mind easily, too.

Chevy has shown a history of putting faith in pro players that don't deserve it. I'll give him credit where it's due. He's built us a contender and a prospect pool to go with it. An expansion franchise in 2011 probably would have been a better start than the Atlanta Thrashers. I also think it's fair to say the process may have been delayed by bad decisions when it comes to pro contracts.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
C'mon, man. Be genuine. First off, I didn't say he did anything badly, but said there was a lack of proof that he did a particular thing well.
Second, you said you can't think of any examples of what would support my point and then provided examples that support my point. Honestly way better examples than I could ever think of. If you can recall Harrison and Setoguchi off the top of your head then names like Matthias, Kulikov, Hendricks, Mason, other Mason, Jokinen, Hainsey, Ellerby, Pavelec and Stuart should come to mind easily, too.

Chevy has shown a history of putting faith in pro players that don't deserve it. I'll give him credit where it's due. He's built us a contender and a prospect pool to go with it. An expansion franchise in 2011 probably would have been a better start than the Atlanta Thrashers. I also think it's fair to say the process may have been delayed by bad decisions when it comes to pro contracts.
I'd say his record with players at the bottom of the roster has been fair to poor. But those are offset somewhat by decisions at the top end, like Perreault and Frolik. For some reason, good GMs have blind spots (ahem, Rinaldo to Nashville).

I don't really think decisions about pro players had much influence on the timing of their arrival as a top team. There was a reason the Hockey News picked 2019 as their season for the Cup. It was when their young guns and prospects would be reaching teir primes. They got good when Morrissey, Hellebuyck, Laine, Ehlers, Connor, Lowry, Copp, Armia, etc. were ready. Couldn't really accelerate their development much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad