Is Chevy the best GM in the NHL?

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I'm willing to call him the best GM in the league at building a contender. Let's see how he does at managing one.

I've got faith in him though, he's been pretty good at managing contracts so far, couple slip ups here and there but nothing damaging or stupid yet.

However, as many wise people have said before, THIS is the real test.

It has taken Chevy seven years to do what McPhee did in one. How does that make Chevy the best? The Process (tm) has taken way too f***ing long for my liking, and all the good feelings that were coming back this past season went away again when they got punted aside by the upstarts. I'm approaching next season with much trepidation. Failure to build on this year, Chevy better start feeling some tugs on his leash. And if there's an Oilers level regression, Chipman must clean house. He can't keep sending the message that failure is an option.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
As most people (the smart ones anyway) tend to do, Chevy has grown quite a bit in his job and become better at it. He's not the same GM he was in 2011, comparing 2018 Chevy to that one is silly.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
for reference as to why you are incorrect, please see: Trade deadline 2018, rumours.

Deadline rumors and UFA rumors are very different. UFA rumors are a lot more accurate since the league introduced the courting period.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Deadline rumors and UFA rumors are very different. UFA rumors are a lot more accurate since the league introduced the courting period.
Really? Agents are constantly leaking about the high interest in their clients, and the media act as the shills. A lot of rumors are leaked to drive up the price.

Reactions: HannuJ

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
It has taken Chevy seven years to do what McPhee did in one. How does that make Chevy the best? The Process (tm) has taken way too ****ing long for my liking, and all the good feelings that were coming back this past season went away again when they got punted aside by the upstarts. I'm approaching next season with much trepidation. Failure to build on this year, Chevy better start feeling some tugs on his leash. And if there's an Oilers level regression, Chipman must clean house. He can't keep sending the message that failure is an option.
Lol are you comparing having to draft and develop starting from scratch to an expansion draft?

McPhee literally got to hand pick bonafide NHL players. Chevy started with nothing and had to draft for his talent. The fact that McPhee did it in a year and made it to the SCF right away should show you how easy it was, not how much of a genius he is.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
It has taken Chevy seven years to do what McPhee did in one. How does that make Chevy the best? The Process (tm) has taken way too ****ing long for my liking, and all the good feelings that were coming back this past season went away again when they got punted aside by the upstarts. I'm approaching next season with much trepidation. Failure to build on this year, Chevy better start feeling some tugs on his leash. And if there's an Oilers level regression, Chipman must clean house. He can't keep sending the message that failure is an option.
I have NEVER been Cheveldayoff’s biggest supporter.
He was easily the guy ripped off the biggest from Jets nominees on NHL Awards night
Not even close

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
:laugh: Not if we judge by Ladd turning down 6x6.

Chevy's success clearly has a large dose of luck.
Unless a rumour is substantiated by one of the parties involved it remains a rumour. Over a season there are 1000's of rumours involving signings, trades etc. Most of them never pan out. Most of them likely have a grain of truth passed on by someone who has partial information a step or 2 away from the actual discussions that they then pass off to the talking heads who spin it so that their employers can generate $.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm guessing Chipman has an opinion of Chevy's work that is far away as it can possibly be on a spectrum of opinions. Enjoy your summer thinking up things you can complain about. Don't look now but a kid just cut across your lawn.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
sorry, but i think you're not understanding how leaks work.
agents leak.
crappy organizations leak.
good organizations have zero reason/desire to leak.

the statsny trade is the best example. it came out of nowhere. no one called it.
same with Morrow.

look at today's news with Tavares as a prime example how agents play the media. after his meetings, the media knew that it was between NYI, Toronto and San Jose. how did they know that? what purpose did it serve?
it was trying to up the ante by the party that the Tavares camp was most interested in.
The Jets, to date, have not been involved in this kind of garbage, and i hope that it will never happen

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Lol are you comparing having to draft and develop starting from scratch to an expansion draft?

McPhee literally got to hand pick bonafide NHL players. Chevy started with nothing and had to draft for his talent. The fact that McPhee did it in a year and made it to the SCF right away should show you how easy it was, not how much of a genius he is.

McPhee still had to make the right picks, cut the right side deals, hire the right coaches. You make it sound like the village idiot could have stepped in and put that team together. Plus, he's partly responsible for the team that beat his team. How do you top that?

And Chevy hardly started with nothing. Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Enstrom, Kane, Bogosian, were good players or at least had the potential to be with the right development. Chevy hired a bad coach. Don't care if Chipman twisted his arm, still his decision. For a team devoted to draft and development, they did little to trade existing assets for more picks to increase their odds of finding gems in the later rounds. Many draft picks of late have been questionable. Not sure I agree that he's getting better with age. And if the lottery balls had not fallen our way to give us Laine, this is still a team mired in mediocrity and we are more likely having this discussion in a "how short is Chevy's leash" thread.

Am I saying he's a bad GM? Not at all. I just don't think his accomplishments thus far put him at the top.

Reactions: Board Bard

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
McPhee still had to make the right picks, cut the right side deals, hire the right coaches. You make it sound like the village idiot could have stepped in and put that team together. Plus, he's partly responsible for the team that beat his team. How do you top that?

And Chevy hardly started with nothing. Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Byfuglien, Enstrom, Kane, Bogosian, were good players or at least had the potential to be with the right development. Chevy hired a bad coach. Don't care if Chipman twisted his arm, still his decision. For a team devoted to draft and development, they did little to trade existing assets for more picks to increase their odds of finding gems in the later rounds. Many draft picks of late have been questionable. Not sure I agree that he's getting better with age. And if the lottery balls had not fallen our way to give us Laine, this is still a team mired in mediocrity and we are more likely having this discussion in a "how short is Chevy's leash" thread.

Am I saying he's a bad GM? Not at all. I just don't think his accomplishments thus far put him at the top.
It's hard to get a good coach or player to come to Winterpeg. Bogo was never good or potentially good.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.

7 players does not make a team. After the players you mentioned, there wasn’t much else on the roster or in the system. Two of those players (Kane and Bogosian) were young and unpolished potentially that never truly became what many had hoped for and there are several reasons for that.

I’m not handing Chevy the undisputed title as best either, but to compare it to McPhee who was allowed to cherry pick his roster from other teams is just plain wrong.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Unless a rumour is substantiated by one of the parties involved it remains a rumour. Over a season there are 1000's of rumours involving signings, trades etc. Most of them never pan out. Most of them likely have a grain of truth passed on by someone who has partial information a step or 2 away from the actual discussions that they then pass off to the talking heads who spin it so that their employers can generate $.

What's your point?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I've been saying this the whole time.

The only thing that's worth thinking about is the fact it's hard to attract Free Agents to Winnipeg. I wouldn't put it on him though, Winnipeg was once not an attractive market and he got lucky with winning the second overall pick.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
What's your point?
I know this doesn't really apply to you Mort, but so much crap gets thrown around as truth by people who have little actual information that I don't buy anything unless it happens or is substantiated by one of the parties involved. Bobby Mac tweets he has heard speculation that Trouba is demanding $8 M, so now the prevailing belief is Trouba wants out of Winnipeg. IMO rumours carry no weight in supporting a position either pro or con, and if that's all you got you ain't got much.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Really? Agents are constantly leaking about the high interest in their clients, and the media act as the shills. A lot of rumors are leaked to drive up the price.

They do, see the eight teams that were supposed to be interested in Carter Hutton a few days ago. They usually don't name specific teams when they do that, though. Embellishment is a normal strategy, but straight up lying (feeding the media "team X is interested" when they actually aren't) is not.

The point I made in the post you responded to was that UFA and deadline rumors are very different. For UFA rumors, the leaks come from the player agents, deadline deals however are hardly ever negotiated by player agents, so the leaks must come from the surroundings of the teams. Furthermore, at the deadline it's not 100% clear which team is willing to sell which players at which price. That could lead to, for example, Chevy actually inquiring about all of Wingels/Letestu/Nash/Hartman/Brassard/Hoffman/Shaw as the rumors told us, just for the purpose of market research. Anyway. Since the league established the courting period, the rumors have been pretty spot on as deals actually get done before July 1st. Just as of today, we already know the destination of eight UFAs (Hutton, Bernier, Plekanec, Kempny, Johnson, Komarov, Ward, Thornton). We know that Tavares will end up with one out of three teams (NYI, TOR, SJS). Last year, rumors said Alzner's destination was one of MTL and WPG. Maybe Alzner's agent was trying to get a better deal by leaking this to put more pressure on Montreal. But why would he actually name WPG as the competitor if it hadn't been the case? Again, embellishment is one thing, straight up lying just leads to burned bridges.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
It's hard to get a good coach or player to come to Winterpeg. Bogo was never good or potentially good.

Bolded is just wrong. Bogosian was one of the most highly touted young d-men in the League when the Jets came here. His stock went down with his injuries etc but everyone felt that he had a LOT of potential.

m.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Whileee

May 29, 2010
They do, see the eight teams that were supposed to be interested in Carter Hutton a few days ago. They usually don't name specific teams when they do that, though. Embellishment is a normal strategy, but straight up lying (feeding the media "team X is interested" when they actually aren't) is not.

The point I made in the post you responded to was that UFA and deadline rumors are very different. For UFA rumors, the leaks come from the player agents, deadline deals however are hardly ever negotiated by player agents, so the leaks must come from the surroundings of the teams. Furthermore, at the deadline it's not 100% clear which team is willing to sell which players at which price. That could lead to, for example, Chevy actually inquiring about all of Wingels/Letestu/Nash/Hartman/Brassard/Hoffman/Shaw as the rumors told us, just for the purpose of market research. Anyway. Since the league established the courting period, the rumors have been pretty spot on as deals actually get done before July 1st. Just as of today, we already know the destination of eight UFAs (Hutton, Bernier, Plekanec, Kempny, Johnson, Komarov, Ward, Thornton). We know that Tavares will end up with one out of three teams (NYI, TOR, SJS). Last year, rumors said Alzner's destination was one of MTL and WPG. Maybe Alzner's agent was trying to get a better deal by leaking this to put more pressure on Montreal. But why would he actually name WPG as the competitor if it hadn't been the case? Again, embellishment is one thing, straight up lying just leads to burned bridges.
Point is that it's impossible to know a GM's actual plans based on rumors. Leaks happen for a reason. For all we know, someone on the Jets side floated Alzner's name because they wanted to pressure Kulikov. In the end, the assessment of a GM needs to be based on his actions and their results. He signed Kulikov, not Alzner, so it's a bit silly to assess his performance based on the alternate reality where he signed Alzner, based on media rumors.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Him or Poile.
Poile has 0 NMC/NTC on his forwards or defense. ultimate flexibility

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad