Is Chevy the best GM in the NHL?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I know this doesn't really apply to you Mort, but so much crap gets thrown around as truth by people who have little actual information that I don't buy anything unless it happens or is substantiated by one of the parties involved. Bobby Mac tweets he has heard speculation that Trouba is demanding $8 M, so now the prevailing belief is Trouba wants out of Winnipeg. IMO rumours carry no weight in supporting a position either pro or con, and if that's all you got you ain't got much.

Well, I've got lots more than that if needed. But is 6x6 a rumour? I thought it had backing but maybe it was just repeated so often that it became accepted as fact. How about I rephrase it? Chevy was lucky that Ladd turned down his offer - no matter what it was.

I'm not criticizing Chevy in any way here. I think it is just possible that Chevy is the best GM in the league. I'll let you know in 2-3 years. But he has been the beneficiary of chance on several occasions. It isn't like he is the only one in that position, neither has he been immune to bad luck.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Point is that it's impossible to know a GM's actual plans based on rumors. Leaks happen for a reason. For all we know, someone on the Jets side floated Alzner's name because they wanted to pressure Kulikov. In the end, the assessment of a GM needs to be based on his actions and their results. He signed Kulikov, not Alzner, so it's a bit silly to assess his performance based on the alternate reality where he signed Alzner, based on media rumors.

I just choose to go with Occam's Razor. It was a rumor that appeared midway through the courting period and it specifically mentioned three teams (Jets, Habs, Hawks). The simplest explanation is that Alzner's agent leaked something.

Judgment is one thing, calling Chevy the best GM in the league is another. My initial statement was "There were rumors that we were heavily interested in signing Karl Alzner last offseason. No, I'm not ready to call him the best GM in the league yet." I stand by that. Chevy has made grave mistakes before, and the Alzner rumor rubbed me in a very bad way.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I just choose to go with Occam's Razor. It was a rumor that appeared midway through the courting period and it specifically mentioned three teams (Jets, Habs, Hawks). The simplest explanation is that Alzner's agent leaked something.

Judgment is one thing, calling Chevy the best GM in the league is another. My initial statement was "There were rumors that we were heavily interested in signing Karl Alzner last offseason. No, I'm not ready to call him the best GM in the league yet." I stand by that. Chevy has made grave mistakes before, and the Alzner rumor rubbed me in a very bad way.
Okay.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Chevy has done a very good job as GM and is probably underrated because he is in Winnipeg hasn't won anything yet.

:jets

Fixed it for ya'. :)

I really don't think being in Wpg is the reason. It does mean a lower profile but I'm pretty sure he has been noticed since his team just missed the Presidents Trophy by 1 third period letdown and made it to the Conference final.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Well, I've got lots more than that if needed. But is 6x6 a rumour? I thought it had backing but maybe it was just repeated so often that it became accepted as fact. How about I rephrase it? Chevy was lucky that Ladd turned down his offer - no matter what it was.

I'm not criticizing Chevy in any way here. I think it is just possible that Chevy is the best GM in the league. I'll let you know in 2-3 years. But he has been the beneficiary of chance on several occasions. It isn't like he is the only one in that position, neither has he been immune to bad luck.

Chevy is lucky to have TNSE aka Chipman willing to do the build right and that finally paid off this year...

Though any GM is only as good as his owner's and fans patience as well...

As for Chevy I think he brings out the very best out of most people he works with...

Go Chevy Go

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Not even close to being the best.

How far away is he?
Who might be better?
Yzerman? He has certainly done well but being in Florida where 'everyone' wants to play and where the tax system is equivalent to something like an extra 10 mil in cap space has made it pretty easy.
Lamoriello? He did very well in NJ and looked pretty good in Toronto. He also presided over the decline of the Devils.

We might be able to put together a list of 7-8 contenders for this title who are indistinguishable from one another. The Best One would probably be on that list but we would not be able to name a consensus winner. Chevy would be among that 7-8. And the actual, ultimate Best One might not be.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I had actually forgotten about this nugget.

Then Emelin was actually selected by Vegas in the XD, and acquired by Nashville in a trade, and we know that McPhee and Poile are morons with really bad teams...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I'd put him top-5 for sure. Best? Dunno about that. Yzerman and Poile both rate higher to me.

Poile? He's had 21 years to Chevy's 7. Their respective teams have to be currently rated just about equal. Poile managed to go into this latest draft with even fewer assets than Chevy did.

Yzerman has undeniably done a good job in TB but climate and taxes help him out a lot.

I think Chevy still has a lot to prove but it is equally difficult to name him the best and to name one better.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's hard to get a good coach or player to come to Winterpeg. Bogo was never good or potentially good.

Bogo was never potentially good? ???????
You are probablywrongbut .........

I would dispute the rest of your post too, but that stood out.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Did Emelin retain his NTC through the expansion draft?
Of course. The only way a future NTC can be voided is if the player is moved to another team before the NTC comes into effect. That's usually the case when a player who signed for RFA and UFA years is moved before he has reached the UFA years portion of his contract (age 27 or seven years of service). Examples are Bogosian and Subban who no longer have any trade protection even though they signed up for it. Emelin was 31 years old.

Then Emelin was actually selected by Vegas in the XD, and acquired by Nashville in a trade, and we know that McPhee and Poile are morons with really bad teams...
There are more shades than one best GM in the NHL and 30 morons with really bad teams. My opinion is that Chevy has shown very bad judgment when it comes to defensemen multiple times, and the supposed best GM in the NHL really shouldn't.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Of course. The only way a future NTC can be voided is if the player is moved to another team before the NTC comes into effect. That's usually the case when a player who signed for RFA and UFA years is moved before he has reached the UFA years portion of his contract (age 27 or seven years of service). Examples are Bogosian and Subban who no longer have any trade protection even though they signed up for it. Emelin was 31 years old.

There are more shades than one best GM in the NHL and 30 morons with really bad teams. My opinion is that Chevy has shown very bad judgment when it comes to defensemen multiple times, and the supposed best GM in the NHL really shouldn't.
I agree, but we have that evidence without rumors. If there were rumors that the Jets wanted to acquire Karlsson, that rumor wouldn't sway the picture in the opposite direction.

In the end it's a bit of a strange obsession to rate a top GM. I think Chevy has had a strategy and executed it quite well, and the results look very good at this point. But Chevy has blind spots and weaknesses just like every GM.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The best GM is the league would not have made that contract for Little.

I think every GM in the league would have made that contract for Little.

I think the only thing wrong with that contract is that Little had an off year and/or was given a poor match in linemates. If he doesn't bounce back and really is in decline then your opinion of that contract is 100% hindsight.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

I think the only thing wrong with that contract is that Little had an off year and/or was given a poor match in linemates. If he doesn't bounce back and really is in decline then your opinion of that contract is 100% hindsight.
Well, Chevy didn't need to sign Little when he did. He could've put it off until now - and the Jets would be in way better shape today.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Well, Chevy didn't need to sign Little when he did. He could've put it off until now - and the Jets would be in way better shape today.

Agreed. IIRC, at the time I thought it was probably 1 year too long, otherwise good.

I'm still optimistic that it turns out well.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Poile? He's had 21 years to Chevy's 7. Their respective teams have to be currently rated just about equal. Poile managed to go into this latest draft with even fewer assets than Chevy did.

Yzerman has undeniably done a good job in TB but climate and taxes help him out a lot.

I think Chevy still has a lot to prove but it is equally difficult to name him the best and to name one better.

Poile also took a small market expansion team, built it from the ground up with fewer assets than Vegas was allowed, and turned them into a perennial playoff team.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Poile also took a small market expansion team, built it from the ground up with fewer assets than Vegas was allowed, and turned them into a perennial playoff team.

Yeah Poille did a great job there. Managed to fleece a few GM's along the way as well and drafted pretty well there. He was also given something that not many GM's have ever had. Job security. He got 5 years of not making the playoffs and another 6 years of never making it past the 2nd round. Then another 2 years of only making it 3rd round. Then another 4 years of not making playoffs/never making it past the 2nd round. A situation like that and most other GM's are canned within the first 7-8 years at most. Some much less.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Yeah everyone here was happy with that contract the day it was signed. Or at least that's how I remember it. It's hindsight to say that it was a bad contract now that Little had a down year. It was great value at the time.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I'm ok with the contract money just a bit too long. Little will bounce back to the norm next year.
He's had bad luck and couldn't gel with the youngsters.
I'd be ecstatic if Chevy fits Stast into the centers with Lowry, Liittle and Scheif.
I would like to see Roslo tried out at center this year on a line with MP and Armia.
What about trading Mason and signing Hutch as a backup???

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Yes. But it took a very long time and several missteps along the way.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Yeah Poille did a great job there. Managed to fleece a few GM's along the way as well and drafted pretty well there. He was also given something that not many GM's have ever had. Job security. He got 5 years of not making the playoffs and another 6 years of never making it past the 2nd round. Then another 2 years of only making it 3rd round. Then another 4 years of not making playoffs/never making it past the 2nd round. A situation like that and most other GM's are canned within the first 7-8 years at most. Some much less.
To be fair Cheveldayoff has a very patient owner and fan base as well.
Kevin could easily be here another decade

Reactions: ps241

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Not sure how much bad judgement he has shown on defenseman outside of re-signing Stu. He has assembled a pretty nice grouping with a couple studs in the wings who are looking pretty close to can't miss in Niku and Samberg. Most teams would kill to have a top pairing that includes a 23 and 24 y/0, and a difference maker like Buff on your 2nd pairing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad