Is catching Gretzky in goals enough for Ovechkin to surpass Crosby?

If Ovechkin passes Gretzky, is he greater than Crosby?

• Total voters

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
greater in what sense?

I feel Ovi will be remembered as one of the best goal scorers in NHL history and having a better peak and individual success over Crosby.

Crosby will remembered as a better rounded player than Ovi who won more Cups with his team.

both will be remembered as great talents regardless if Ovi breaks the Gretzky record.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
17-11 individual awards, better peak season, better extended peak, best playoff run. In any other sport the person with that resume would unquestionably be ranked ahead, but for some reason that's not the case here. Crosby is great too, he is the best playoff performer of the generation and has 1 of the best and most consistent primes ever. However, peak > prime for me so I rank OV ahead. I get putting Crosby ahead too though, no wrong answer.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I'd still probably consider Crosby better as a hockey player. BUT, I think it would lead people to say Ovi got more out of his career than Crosby did based on potential.

He's done everything that was expected of him now that he's won the cup, and arguably had a higher/ longer peak. Crosby's been incredible as well but injuries got in the way of seeing exactly what he could've been.

They're both winners at the end of the day and will likely retire as top 10 players and that's all that matters

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
17-11 individual awards, better peak season, better extended peak, best playoff run. In any other sport the person with that resume would unquestionably be ranked ahead, but for some reason that's not the case here. Crosby is great too, he is the best playoff performer of the generation and has 1 of the best and most consistent primes ever. However, peak > prime for me so I rank OV ahead. I get putting Crosby ahead too though, no wrong answer.
I thought you were just an OV fanboy before, now I know this is a troll account. Well done.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
greater in what sense?

I feel Ovi will be remembered as one of the best goal scorers in NHL history and having a better peak and individual success over Crosby.

Crosby will remembered as a better rounded player than Ovi who won more Cups with his team.

both will be remembered as great talents regardless if Ovi breaks the Gretzky record.

He will remembered as the better playoff performer and the better player, period.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
I would say yes. I thought all of Gretzkys records were so untouchable that no one would ever come even remotely close. If he didn't lose 1 1/2 seasons to lockout he would most likely almost be there already.

Reactions: abo9

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
It's like someone like Kessel who has always been an amazing sniper but hasn't really been considered one of the best players in the league.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

What time frames and seasons are you actually talking about here?

For best playoff season Crosby has Ovechkin beat with his run in 09.

For best peak does Ovi in 08 really trump Crosby in 14?

You even stated that Crosby is the best playoff performer of his generation and his consistent prime is a 15 (counting this season) year one basically matched by less than a handfull of player....ever.

Ovechkin is already the greatest goal scorer of all time and I doubt he breaks Gretzky's record but he doesn't need to as he already has that title.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

You even stated that Crosby is the best playoff performer of his generation and his consistent prime is a 15 (counting this season) year one basically matched by less than a handfull of player....ever.

Ovechkin is already the greatest goal scorer of all time and I doubt he breaks Gretzky's record but he doesn't need to as he already has that title.

OV 07/08 is the best season of this century, only Malkin's 11/12 is close. Crosby's 13/14 is not in the conversation, many better seasons than that. For extended peak, besides the big 4, OV's 07-10 stacks up against any 3 season run in history. Crosby never had 3 consecutive hart/lindsay seasons. Yes I know he was injured but that's too bad, only looking at reality not fantasy. Even if we say 2 consecutive seasons to help Crosby, OV's 07-09 is pretty clearly ahead.

Reactions: Zuluss

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
To retire having scored the most goals ever?
That's supposed to be an unbreakable record.
Only over the past few years have we begun to say "if Ovechkin keeps this up for X more years he might be able to do it" and before then it was considered an unbreakable record.
Just think about how productive Jagr was and how many years he lasted in this league and how far he fell short.
If you think that Crosby > Ovechkin retiring with most goals scored all time, you're incredibly biased.

Reactions: KapG and kmart

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016

Are you f***ing serious mate??? 2014 Crosby??? 2008 Ovechkin is the best peak season of 21sr century.

Reactions: KoozNetsOff 92

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
Career numbers are not a good measurement. As far as I'm concerned, anyone who believes Ovechkin with 893 goals < Crosby, Ovechkin with 894+ goals > Crosby, is an idiot.

The poll has a choice for you, "As long as he comes close, he surpasses Crosby" :)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The fact that this is even a discussion is impressive, given that nobody was supposed to ever come close to Gretzky's goal record.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
That would be an incredibly simplistic way to assess the better player.
Bottom line is Sid is the better player. He has been, consistently, from early on in their careers.
Ovi might be the greatest pure goal scorer, but for the first half of his career, many considered him a lazy player disinterested in playing half of the game.

Reactions: sanscosm

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad