Is catching Gretzky in goals enough for Ovechkin to surpass Crosby?

If Ovechkin passes Gretzky, is he greater than Crosby?

• Total voters

Herregud

Feb 7, 2010
Washington, DC
The other difference is Crosby's 3 Cups to Ovechkin's 1, while Ovechkin's been on 3 Presidents' Trophy winning teams while Crosby has been on none.
One day, everyone's going to have to get together and work out whether the regular season matters or not at all when it comes to criticizing Ovechkin. You all seem to be confusing each other.

As far as the question goes... who cares? They're both equally impressive players for completely different reasons.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
if he does beat Gretzky? Has anyone bothered to look at the other top scorers in Ovechkin's era? He is alone, on top of the goal scoring charts far above all of the others. He's already in company of the best goal scorers ever in regards to leading the league in goals, 30, 40, 50 goal seasons. And all these people he competes with are from another NHL.

Depends how impactful are goals in a hockey game but I think there would be at least a very good argument for Ovechkin > Crosby

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
if he does beat Gretzky? Has anyone bothered to look at the other top scorers in Ovechkin's era? He is alone, on top of the goal scoring charts far above all of the others. He's already in company of the best goal scorers ever in regards to leading the league in goals, 30, 40, 50 goal seasons. And all these people he competes with are from another NHL.

Depends how impactful are goals in a hockey game but I think there would be at least a very good argument for Ovechkin > Crosby

He has already led the league in goals more than anyone else in history.

TheGuiminator

I’ll be damned King, I’ll be damned
Oct 23, 2018
Ovechkin breaking Gretzky’s goal record would be good enough to become 5th all-time, which would place him above Crosby.

Obviously, he would have to do it while remaining elite and not by overstaying his welcome

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Odd statement to make given how the Pittsburgh series ended.

Pens fans and other Canadian fans in the history forum have explained to me that backchecking is not defense - at least when Ovie does it - so I assume they can also claim that a takeaway in his own zone is also not defense so long as it's Ovechkin we're talking about.

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
I dont think it matters. Being known as the greatest goal scorer of all time is a better legacy then being the 5th? best forward of all time anyway.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
If he catches Gretzky and becomes the greatest goal scorer ever, he will be shooting to join Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr as the greatest hockey player, let alone passing Crosby

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad