Is c>winger argument overrated?

Leafsrock95

Oct 4, 2014
outside of generational players (mcdavid, Crosby and Mallon) the best players have been wingers. Kane and kucherov. Upcoming guys like gaudreau is making his case. Marner and rantanen are both out producing the #1 c on their teams.

Reactions: Fixxer and Toene

Leafsrock95

Oct 4, 2014
It doesn’t completely change who the better player is. Monahan isn’t magically better than Gaudreau because he’s a center. But if 2 players are equal, and one is a center, you take the center
Ya but outside of McDavid the best players are wingers rn

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Ya but outside of McDavid the best players are wingers rn
Crosby/Malkin, Matthews, Eichel, Giroux (C, but plays wing sometimes), Barkov, Seguin, Kopitar, Aho, Bergeron, and more are all phenomenal and the best players on their team respectively.

*Some BOS fans may rip me for that, but I believe Bergeron is better than Marchand and Pasta.

I think using C > W as the main argument for determining who is better isn’t the best course of action. Idk, but that’s just me. C has more responsibility so I can see that being an argument. I just think that’s kind of like saying RHD are more valuable because it’s a much rarer occurance that prospects are RHD.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Players like Kucherov, Kane and Gaudreau assume the centerman's role in the ozone. It's only on the defensive side that their role is diminished relative to centers. This is why you often see play-driving wingers paired with complimentary centers like Bozak, Bonino, Anisimov, Strome etc.

Reactions: Blueston and hirawl

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
No. Ideally you have centers playing wing that can fill in at center in case of injury. Pretty much any good center can also play wing.

Last edited:

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
outside of generational players (mcdavid, Crosby and Mallon) the best players have been wingers. Kane and kucherov. Upcoming guys like gaudreau is making his case. Marner and rantanen are both out producing the #1 c on their teams.

Marner and Matthews have the same ppg and Matthews does significantly more in the defensive end than Marner. Not sure what you mean by "out producing ".

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
It would depend on who you talk to. Some people certainly take it too far though for many of them there is an agenda that they feel needs a little push.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Yes, it is a very overrated and overused argument. Especially when people use it as a magical tiebreaker by assuming that the center provides more to his team defensively. While this is certainly true for some centers, people use it as a blanket statement. For example, I'm sure you can find numerous posts on this site (going back several years) of people claiming Stamkos is better than Kane because he is a center. When really, Stamkos does not provide anything defensively that Kane does not by virtue of being a center. If a player is capable of driving the offense from the winger position, he is as valuable as the guy that lines up at center offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad