Is Brent Burns an elite defensemen?

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
I personally don't buy the argument that you have to be elite in all three zones to be considered an elite player. It's all about the net value you deliver. And even though Burns' defense is not elite, the net value he provides to his team in terms of the combined goals created (maybe the best in the league besides EK) and goals prevented (decent) Burns provides is elite.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
There are like 25 teams on which he would be the best defenseman, so yeah he's elite.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Yes.

Burns is actually pretty decent in his own end; my "issue" with him is that in the offensive zone he often plays like a forward and neglects the fact that he is a defenseman.

This is actually not true at all, he plays quite traditional defense. He is very aggressive offensively as a defenseman, similar to guys like boyle, sneaking in on the off wing and getting glorious chances, but rarely does he actually play as a forward in the formation.

This is just bad conventional wisdom.

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
This is actually not true at all, he plays quite traditional defense. He is very aggressive offensively as a defenseman, similar to guys like boyle, sneaking in on the off wing and getting glorious chances, but rarely does he actually play as a forward in the formation.

This is just bad conventional wisdom.

I really don't agree that he plays traditional defense. By far the most aggressive defenseman I can remember seeing play in terms of the offensive zone. He is routinely below the ringette line.

Last edited:

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
hes not clearly in the top 5-10 best, hes close, but hes for sure among the elite Dmen in the nhl today

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I really don't agree that he plays traditional defense. By far the most aggressive defenseman I can remember seeing play in terms of the offensive zone. He is routinely below the ringette line.

Yeah no. The only real time he leaves the point is if he is circling around the blue line with the puck and he sees an opportunity to blast past the defense for a shot on net.

malkshake

Jan 12, 2012
Vancouver
When you watch the game with casual viewers during the World Cup and they mention all Burns does is immediately wrist shot the puck when he gets it into shin pads... which is all I ever think when I watch Burns play. This really made me laugh though, that casual viewers can see he is a one trick pony. Not elite in my opinion as I am baffled this guy made the team over Letang and Subban for a RHD. I just don't see it. :help:

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
At the ppl saying hes not elite cause he isnt good defensivly. So that means karlsson isnt elite either? No logic there. Burns is 100% elite.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
When you watch the game with casual viewers during the World Cup and they mention all Burns does is immediately wrist shot the puck when he gets it into shin pads... which is all I ever think when I watch Burns play. This really made me laugh though, that casual viewers can see he is a one trick pony. Not elite in my opinion as I am baffled this guy made the team over Letang and Subban for a RHD. I just don't see it. :help:

Watch him more then because you are obviously not watching enough.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
This narrative that he is somehow subpar defensively is completely unbased

Seriously, has anyone actually watched multiple Sharks games (not highlights)? He is very solid defensively

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah no. The only real time he leaves the point is if he is circling around the blue line with the puck and he sees an opportunity to blast past the defense for a shot on net.

He doesn't play down low regularly like a forward obviously, but he is very aggressive when he sees an opportunity for a shot. Watching video of all his goals last year, about half came below the ringette line.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
He doesn't play down low regularly like a forward obviously, but he is very aggressive when he sees an opportunity for a shot. Watching video of all his goals last year, about half came below the ringette line.

collapsing the zone is what an impact player does, but he does not end up below the forwards -- that is what ignoring position would be.

StLHokie

May 27, 2014
North Carolina
No. He plays one end of the ice very well obviously, but can't be relied on for big time defensive minutes. Offensively he is very good (although probably not top 3 in the NHL) and defensively he isn't expected to carry much of the load, since the Sharks have Vlasic (who is an elite defenseman).

Is Dustin Byfuglien an elite defenseman? It's a similar question. They both have had similar careers, with the only difference being that this past year Burns had a career year.

I don't see how you can say a guy is an elite defensemen when he's been moved between forward and defense throughout his career. If he were elite at his position, no chance he ever gets moved up to a different one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad