Is Brent Burns an elite defensemen?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Yep. It's not like he's horrible defensively either. Offensively he's arguably the 2nd best defenseman.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Hell yes he is! And frankly, anyone who says otherwise is entitled to his or her opinion, and that's all I'm going to say on the matter!

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Yes. Why even ask?

Because this is a forum about hockey and there should be some hockey related discussions on it. I don't know, I'm new here so maybe there is a rule against posting stuff that provokes discussions about hockey on a forum that's only about hockey. :handclap:

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Altogether, sure, but I think his overall play is really erratic/inconsistent. Unless the rest of your top-4 is outstanding, he's not the defenseman you want to lean on if you're going to win a Cup.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Well he's above average defensively based on the most of the common defenseive metrics (Shots, Fenwick, Corsi, Scoring Chances against)

Hes well below average defensively if you factor in advanced stats, he's a good possession dman but he allows alot of shots against.

Last edited:

Stuckinthe2ndround*

Yes, but I also think he's right on the edge of not being elite.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Because this is a forum about hockey and there should be some hockey related discussions on it. I don't know, I'm new here so maybe there is a rule against posting stuff that provokes discussions about hockey on a forum that's only about hockey. :handclap:

Being new gets you some slack, but generally topics where literally 99% of people agree aren't exactly thread-worthy.

Stuckinthe2ndround*

Being new gets you some slack, but generally topics where literally 99% of people agree aren't exactly thread-worthy.

I think you might be surprised how people feel about Burns. He was getting dumped on pretty hard during the WCH.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Offensively - yes.
Defensively - lol.

Best answer. He is a power-forward Doug Wilson has been teaching defense over the past 2 seasons. What is he good at?

Play-making.
Getting shots through.
Sneaking the Ovi spot.
QBing a PP.

What is he bad at?
Defense.

Every so often he will make a great defensive play - but more often than not you'll face palm the slide of last resort. Without someone like Martin, Burns loses games with his defensive mistakes. Seriously. At 5v5, the difference between someone like MEV, an elite defenseman, and Burns, an elite rover, is night and day. Don't get me wrong, he is great at what he is great at - but defense is not his thing.

Elite offensive talent.
Workable defensive talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad