Post-Game Talk: Is Brendan Smith the next Bobby Orr? More at 11.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
That's true for everybody, though. Outside of a few teams like Toronto, who can already start planning for the off-season.

And this is by design. The NHL has wanted close playoff races and done everything possible to facilitate that from the salary cap to the loser point. A singular team has any comfort in the East and that's the hallmark of the modern NHL regular season.

And the Wings are in a better position than any other team. 2 games in hand on Montreal and a point on Boston and Florida. Can't really ask for much more. Washington is clearly the top team in the East right now.

Aug 6, 2012
Missed it but glad to see we pulled it out without our best player. Its really nice when you can win a game without your big guns showing up. Performances like this out of Sheahan and Smitty are really important if this team wants to take the next steps.

Did Blash change up the lines at all during the game?

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
That was the Smith we were expecting out of Wisconsin. Like DanZ, I fear it's a flash. If he can somehow turns the corner...

Great road win. Textbook Blashill.

Actual Thought*

That's true for everybody, though. Outside of a few teams like Toronto, who can already start planning for the off-season.

And this is by design. The NHL has wanted close playoff races and done everything possible to facilitate that from the salary cap to the loser point. A singular team has any comfort in the East and that's the hallmark of the modern NHL regular season.
Completely agree. The Wings have the worst goals diff. outside of TO or Buffalo. They are probably the most likely Atlantic team who is in now to find themselves out come playoff time.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
And the Wings are in a better position than any other team. 2 games in hand on Montreal and a point on Boston and Florida. Can't really ask for much more. Washington is clearly the top team in the East right now.

Yeah, I think "tied for 1st" creates a narrative that isn't wholly accurate. It's technically true, but it's a thin margin.

That said, the Wings are indeed in great position. And given the roster, subsequent injuries, and system changes, this is about as good as we could expect going into the season. The Wings have played themselves into a strong position to make the playoffs and look competitive most nights now. That's awesome news and helps dampen a lot of the fears that existed when the initial shot differentials were looming overhead.

Actual Thought*

Missed it but glad to see we pulled it out without our best player. Its really nice when you can win a game without your big guns showing up. Performances like this out of Sheahan and Smitty are really important if this team wants to take the next steps.

Did Blash change up the lines at all during the game?

Pav played.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Completely agree. The Wings have the worst goals diff. outside of TO or Buffalo. They are probably the most likely Atlantic team who is in now to find themselves out come playoff time.

Yeah, I don't like that goal differential, either. Lots of close wins, which is a good quality, but the Wings needs to show they can put their foot down on teams with more regularity.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

Because they aren't scoring on the powerplay, yet. Won't be this bad the entire season.

Inspiration

Jul 10, 2013
Just so I understand correctly: the Wings called up Nosek from GR because of his PK ability, and then proceeded to play him a grand total of 0:00 minutes short-handed? I'm not complaining given that it worked just fine tonight; it just seems odd.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Because they aren't scoring on the powerplay, yet. Won't be this bad the entire season.

This is the biggest reason in my opinion. If the Wings scored on their PP like they did last season they'd probably have another 4-8 points more in the standings. Not sure how we can add Green to the PP and it becomes worse...

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
This is the biggest reason in my opinion. If the Wings scored on their PP like they did last season they'd probably have another 4-8 points more in the standings. Not sure how we can add Green to the PP and it becomes worse...

Because they lost their old assistant, now we have some ****** AHL guy that blash brought with him running our pp

Actual Thought*

I see no reason to believe they will suddenly score on the PP. Blashill's PP sucked when he was an assistant. They have even brought Oates in because his staff seemingly has no idea how to fix it.

That's simple. It's Blashill.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
So when Blashill is an assistant the PP is his fault, then when he is made a head coach the PP is still his fault?

Okay, what?

Actual Thought*

So when Blashill is an assistant the PP is his fault, then when he is made a head coach the PP is still his fault?

Okay, what?

Just as it was Babcock's fault when he hired Blashill it is Blashill's fault he hired Ferschweiller. However Babcock didn't bring Blashill in to dismantle the best PP in the league.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I see no reason to believe they will suddenly score on the PP. Blashill's PP sucked when he was an assistant. They have even brought Oates in because his staff seemingly has no idea how to fix it.

That's simple. It's Blashill.

It's also Blashill's fault that the team is better at 5-on-5. That's more important for the playoffs.

Actual Thought*

everything is blashill's fault. but only when it's bad :laugh:

Unfortunately you can't name with accuracy a single aspect of the game that the team has improved upon under Blashill nor could you name one player that has performed better under Blashill.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
It's also Blashill's fault that the team is better at 5-on-5. That's more important for the playoffs.

I believe the issue is even simpler than that. None of our defensemen are on pace to get more than 35 points. Can anyone tell me if anyone has made it to the conference finals with no defensemen getting more than 35 points? I have to imagine it's never happened.

I don't think people appreciate how anemic the Wings defense is offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00