Post-Game Talk: Is Brendan Smith the next Bobby Orr? More at 11.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Unfortunately you can't name with accuracy a single aspect of the game that the team has improved upon under Blashill nor could you name one player that has performed better under Blashill.

Dude you really really need to just give up your failed attempt at smearing Blash this season.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Dude you really really need to just give up your failed attempt at smearing Blash this season.

The Wings have the exact same amount of wins at this time of the year as they did last year and they're leading the division. So, they may not be better, but they're not worse. They're exactly the same, which isn't surprising at all.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
The Wings have the exact same amount of wins at this time of the year as they did last year and they're leading the division. So, they may not be better, but they're not worse. They're exactly the same, which isn't surprising at all.

Yes what you say is true. But according to him/her we are as bad as TO. And we are not that terrible either. But continually almost every other post it seems like if not more he/she is bashing Blash. It has been that way since off season. It gets old especially when the results don't match up to his/her perceptions.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The vast majority of us expected the Wings to be in the hunt this year. And they are. There was a minority that expected complete failure or the team to be a legitimate contender. The truth, unsurprisingly, remains in the middle for the Wings.

Which was really easy to predict, since the Wings structure remains mostly intact from previous years and the results have been fairly consistent. The team will look great. And bad. They'll make the playoffs and be a threat, but a tier below the elite teams due to lack of star players on the blueline.

I believe the issue is even simpler than that. None of our defensemen are on pace to get more than 35 points. Can anyone tell me if anyone has made it to the conference finals with no defensemen getting more than 35 points? I have to imagine it's never happened.

I don't think people appreciate how anemic the Wings defense is offensively.

The best, and most cited example, would be the 2006 Carolina Hurricanes. They had one defenseman with over 35 points, and that was Frantisek Kaberle. I think I just heard everybody go "who?" No, it's not the Kaberle you were thinking of. It's a guy who only eclipsed 30 points once in his entire career and that was in 2006 with 44 points. He played less than 2 full seasons for the Hurricanes after that.

Next closest on that roster was Bret Hedican with 27 points.

Of course the Carolina recipe for success hinged upon other things. Such as having a 45-goal, 100 point center in Eric Staal. And then a defensive beast of a center in Brind'Amour with 70 points. That was an incredible 1-2 punch up the middle. Combine that with a career launching display of elite goaltending from Cam Ward and you got yourself a stew.

So even with the anemic defense, Carolina has multiple elite pieces to help push them through 4 rounds.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Didn't get to watch this one but, glad we ended up winning. Travelling sucks. Left when it was 2-1. Had to keep up with the Red Wings app.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
He's day-to-day with an upper body injury.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/12/red_wings_dylan_larkin_out_wit.html

Larkin was banged up in Tuesday's 4-3 loss to New Jersey, when he slid into the corner and hit his head on the boards after a second-period hit by the Devils' John Moore.

One of those "hate it when you're right moments". This was me on the 11-Dec

He does seem to go crashing into the end boards with frightening regularity. When he doesn't get round the outside of the D with his speed, he gets dumped on the ice, often with the D-man on top of him. Every time I see it I wince in fear that this is the time he gets injured.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
One of those "hate it when you're right moments". This was me on the 11-Dec

4520947-s3hz.jpg

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Because they aren't scoring on the powerplay, yet. Won't be this bad the entire season.
Our PP is only tremendously bad when compared to what we had last season. It's actually middle of the pack now (been getting better lately). The teams with the most PPGs only have 6 more than us.

Our goal differential sucks because we never get these blowout wins where we kill a team. It's all 3-2, 2-1, 1-0, OT, SO. We have the most games decided by 1 goal in the entire league. A good goal differential is mostly built through winning big. Unless I'm forgetting something, we haven't won a game by more than 4 goals all year. And that's only happened like two times.

Just need a few offensive explosions, some 5-6 goal wins and suddenly our GD will looks much better. At least we're pretty good at not getting blown out and winning 1-goal games without living off the PP is a sign of strength.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
Really liked what I saw out of that Helm-Glenny-Jurco unit that was out there a couple of times

Larkin-Z-Abby
Tatar-Dats-Richards
Nyquist-Sheahan-Pulks
Helm-Glenny-Jurco

That's a line up I'd like to see when healthy. Switch Abby to Pav's line for Richards and insert Gus to top line if you want dem piano pullers for Pav.

Actual Thought*

So basically the Blashill effect was to cancel out the roster improvement of Green, Larkin, and Richards.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
The experiment with Richards and Helm in the Top 6 should end. One of Nyquist or Tatar has to be on that line or else Detroit is a one line team. Instead of having "depth" throughout the lineup I'd prefer to have two legitimate scoring lines.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Richards has 5 points in his last 6 games, 7 in his last 9. Not sure why people are complaining about him.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Richards has 5 points in his last 6 games, 7 in his last 9. Not sure why people are complaining about him.

I expected more than 3 goals in 22 games. I was also expecting better than .45PPG with Top 6 time and PP time.

Tatar or Nyquist would be doing much better than Richards right now.

I honestly don't care if Blash wants to bump either Helm or Richards down a line, but one of them needs to get bumped out of the Top 6.

Detroit can't afford to have two players that have combined for 6 goals and 19 points to be getting top minutes. Nyquist or Tatar alone have more goals and points than both Richards and Helm combined. That's terrible.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I expected more than 3 goals in 22 games. I was also expecting better than .45PPG with Top 6 time and PP time.

Tatar or Nyquist would be doing much better than Richards right now.

I honestly don't care if Blash wants to bump either Helm or Richards down a line, but one of them needs to get bumped out of the Top 6.

Detroit can't afford to have two players that have combined for 6 goals and 19 points to be getting top minutes. Nyquist or Tatar alone have more goals and points than both Richards and Helm combined. That's terrible.

It's pretty awesome having a third line that has scored 28 goals in 35 games. That kind of Depth is awesome . And the second line is still possessively dominant so I don't see the problem here?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00