NHL Is Bobby Orr’s goal the greatest moment in NHL history? UPDATE 12/16- Orr loses to Mario's 5 goals

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
As part of the celebration for 100 years of the National Hockey League, the league has a held a greatest moments countdown. The bracket-style countdown started with 64 of the NHL’s most memorable events. Fans voted through five rounds to whittle it to two and will now decide what the greatest moment in NHL history is.

The two finalists

and

Voting ends Tuesday 11/28 at Midnight

Greatest Moments Bracket

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Wish I were alive at the time to watch Orr play.

I was just a kid but remember Orr well, and he was the biggest reason I became a Bruin's fan.

I didn't get to see all the B's games as I can nowadays, but from the games and highlights I was fortunate enough to see back then he was a joy to watch, and to this day I still haven't seen a hockey player consistently dominate the game the way he did.

...and the fact that the Bruins finally won the Stanley after 29 years of drought was fantastic and a very emotional championship win..

Last edited:
Reactions: Strafer and Estlin

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Hard to say.

Looking at the bracket and a lot of these were statistical accomplishments, not "moments".

I mean they swept an expansion team. Even if they had lost, was St. Louis going to come back and win 4 straight?

I'm a youngling, so based on what I've lived through, I'd probably go with the Rangers over the Devils in game 7 '94.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
In my completely biased opinion, Orr and it's not really that close. What Mario did was tremendous, but the dive by Orr as captured through photograph is the most iconic image in NHL history. The greatest ever all-around hockey player in the greatest photograph in NHL history.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Hard to say.

Looking at the bracket and a lot of these were statistical accomplishments, not "moments".

I mean they swept an expansion team. Even if they had lost, was St. Louis going to come back and win 4 straight?

I'm a youngling, so based on what I've lived through, I'd probably go with the Rangers over the Devils in game 7 '94.

Cup winning OT goals are rare.

The Islanders won in 1980 in a Game 6 OT goal by Bobby Nystrom - Islanders knew the chances of winning Game 7 in Philly was iffy.

Patrick Kane won the Blackhawks first Cup in 49 years in a Game 6 OT in Philly.

What makes the Orr goal special is the picture that was captured in the long gone Boston Record-American.

orr2.jpg

Reactions: bobbyorr04

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Ask any non fanatic to remember any other moment,and they can't. The Orr moment was THE moment in NHL history. "The Bruins' 22 year old sensation!"-Dan Kelly

Reactions: Strafer

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Hard to say.

Need to understand the Bruins hadn't won a Cup since 1940.

Starting in 1960, they came in 5th, 6th, 6th, 6th, 6th, 6th, 5th and 6th. In a six team league. That last 6th was Orr's rookie year.

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
I still catch flak from some fellow Canadians when I tell them that Orr's goal will always mean more to me than Paul Henderson's winning goal against the Russians in the 1972 Summit Series. :laugh:

Reactions: eightspokedb

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
sorry...but part of Lemieux thing was an empty net goal...I would put many other moments over his the 5 goal thing, like the Sittler 10 point game, but that's just me. To be honest, I had to be reminded on the Lemieux game ; just wouldn't put it near the top

It's Orr for sure...I think the goal is the most iconic in history; every hockey fan is familiar with it and has seen the photo. Not even close....

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
I was just a kid but remember Orr well, and he was the biggest reason I became a Bruin's fan.

I didn't get to see all the B's games as I can nowadays, but from the games and highlights I was fortunate enough to see back then he was a joy to watch, and to this day I still haven't seen a hockey player consistently dominate the game the way he did.

...and the fact that the Bruins finally won the Stanley after 29 years of drought was fantastic and a very emotional championship win..

Me too, Bro. Became a B's fan as soon as I discovered hockey, in 1968. I liked the fact that they were still underdogs then but were improving quickly with Orr, Espo, and the other trades and new prospects. Also the fact they were mean.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
This should be the biggest landslide victory in the history of earth.

Reactions: BMC

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I still catch flak from some fellow Canadians when I tell them that Orr's goal will always mean more to me than Paul Henderson's winning goal against the Russians in the 1972 Summit Series. :laugh:
My parents sat in first row lodge 7 above that corner clock where Orr scored- we've always believed my mother knowing her energy level and age at time hands were the first up in that picture

Henderson was on the Leafs and due to his close relationship with one time Bruins Murray Oliver who in 1967 was traded to Toronto. He was very good friends with Paul Henderson. Things were different back them and I remember as a kid him staying with us. He and Marcel Pronovost were on for a few days and we had a big bleeping house my old man built. I don't remember to much about them other than my folks loved them and I had their hockey cards -but I did get to meet Dave Keon and Pat Quinn a bunch and super nice to this yute. Oliver worked with Quinn all over the league and I'd see them when they came in or Oliver in the summer. Quinn was such a great guy I hated the whole Orr thing

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad