NHL Is Bobby Orr’s goal the greatest moment in NHL history? UPDATE 12/16- Orr loses to Mario's 5 goals

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This should be the biggest landslide victory in the history of earth.

It better be :laugh:

The NHL this week released their 100 year documentary this week and guess what is the first thing you hear?

My memories of that game are so vivid all these years later.

Before the playoffs started somebody stole the Bruins flag that hung from the rafters and during the game the flag suddenly appeared hanging from the second balcony. The hockey gods worked magic to make sure everybody in the Garden were in their seats for the OT as they had run out of beer at the concession stands after the second period. :laugh:

4th game of the series, game winner scored by 4, at 40 seconds of OT. Final score 4-3.

It was the first time I had ever seen the Stanley Cup with my own eyes and it was smaller than I thought but it was so shiny and beautiful.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
All Orr got was a nice photo, otherwise the moment is not even top 100.
You speak for everyone else or yourself

Sorry if I misinterpreted your post English is my third language

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
You speak for everyone else or yourself

Sorry if I misinterpreted your post English is my third language

I can not speak for anyone else, but it was one out of 17 Stanley Cup winning OT goals so far. Other than the iconic pose it is hard to find anything in it that elevates it above the rest, especially in a 4:0 sweep against a much weaker expansion team. I would argue that a Game 7 OT winner against the defending champions is higher up on the list.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Literally every OT goal that won a Stanley Cup is top 100.

I wouldn't rate all 17 of them so high, after all there are plenty of other great NHL moments of many types as well. When Martinez scored his OT winner in 2014 that was exciting for sure, but was it a greater moment than the first LA cup victory two years earlier? Or the Gretzky trade back in the day?

Yes, absolutely zero difference between the moments that include UWE ****ING KRUPE and BOBBY ORR.

They did exactly the same, except Krupp did it in 3OT.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I wouldn't rate all 17 of them so high, after all there are plenty of other great NHL moments of many types as well. When Martinez scored his OT winner in 2014 that was exciting for sure, but was it a greater moment than the first LA cup victory two years earlier? Or the Gretzky trade back in the day?

They did exactly the same, except Krupp did it in 3OT.

Are you being intentionally obtuse for fun? I can respect that, but I don't think you are just having a laugh I think you believe what you are saying.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I get it why Bruins and Orr fans cherish the memory of their hero scoring a cup winner, but what does objectively make that moment anywhere near the greatest in NHL history? It's just a cool picture, but that's all there's to it.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Me, a simple man: "The difference is one involves Bobby Orr and the other involves Uwe Krupp."

You, an apparent genius of incomprehensible wisdom: "There is literally no difference between the two of them rendering the moments identical in the annuls of hockey history."

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I get it why Bruins and Orr fans cherish the memory of their hero scoring a cup winner, but what does objectively make that moment anywhere near the greatest in NHL history? It's just a cool picture, but that's all there's to it.
It was a goal scored to win a Cup after a 29 year drought by a beloved 22 year old player that just placed himself at the very top of the greatest to ever play. It's much more than a picture,it's actually an incendiary device that started a hockey inferno,not only locally,but worldwide.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Rather locally if, in the 1970s no one in Europe was even following the NHL.
Except,maybe the USSR which began comparing their players to North Americans/Canadians and Fetisov was the "Russian Bobby Orr,and then the 72 Summit Series. As for NHL playgrounds,everywhere Orr went the stadium sold out,when Orr was hurt,attendance declined. His anticipated presence was almost like a sacred apparition,both here and abroad,and that picture was the clincher!

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
One has to remember that Orr played only one international tournament, seven games of which one against the Soviets, so the exposure in Europe was very limited. If you didn't watch the 1976 Canada Cup closely, then you likely never heard of Bobby Orr. The current generation of European NHL players is really the first that grew up actually watching NHL hockey, that's why before Gretzky there wasn't really anything. Someone like Bossy is already a total nobody, never heard of.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013

I guess only Bruins fans voted on the poll as well since it's in the top 2.

Rather locally if, in the 1970s no one in Europe was even following the NHL.

As a fellow European I have to ask if you mean that we should disregard anything pre-1980's (hell, disregard anything pre-2000's when games became easy if not cheap to watch in Europe). First European to become a big-time player in the NHL was Börje Salming, and even that's mid-to-late 1970's through 1980's (and no Swedes actually watched his games). We can't disregard 60-80% of NHL history because of current viewer demographics. A great moment is a great moment.

Reactions: bobbyorr04

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
That was only a response to the rather funny claim that the Orr goal "started a worldwide hockey inferno".

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011

Very special for Boston fans for sure, but objectively no greater than Uwe Krupp in 1996.

I really don't think it is appropriate for you to come into a Boston Bruins forum and tell us how defenseman Bobby Orr's fantastic goal in overtime in 1970 to win the Stanley Cup after 29 years of drought is not the "Greatest NHL moment".

Obviously many, many other people who voted disagree with you.

It may not be the greatest NHL moment to you and I respect that, but to come here to tell us there is no difference between Orr's goal and Uwe frickin Krupp's goal is insulting.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I guess only Bruins fans voted on the poll as well since it's in the top 2.

As a fellow European I have to ask if you mean that we should disregard anything pre-1980's (hell, disregard anything pre-2000's when games became easy if not cheap to watch in Europe). First European to become a big-time player in the NHL was Börje Salming, and even that's mid-to-late 1970's through 1980's (and no Swedes actually watched his games). We can't disregard 60-80% of NHL history because of current viewer demographics. A great moment is a great moment.

Well said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad