NHL Is Bobby Orr’s goal the greatest moment in NHL history? UPDATE 12/16- Orr loses to Mario's 5 goals

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I really don't think it is appropriate for you to come into a Boston Bruins forum and tell us how defenseman Bobby Orr's fantastic goal in overtime in 1970 to win the Stanley Cup after 29 years of drought is not the "Greatest NHL moment".

Obviously many, many other people who voted disagree with you.

It may not be the greatest NHL moment to you and I respect that, but to come here to tell us there is no difference between Orr's goal and Uwe frickin Krupp's goal is insulting.

You're right and I apologize therefore, I agree that for a Bruins fan it can easily come off as more provocative than it was meant to be.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Equally great moments in American history:

--the elections of William Henry Harrison and Abraham Lincoln
--winning the Spanish-American War and World War II
--the invention of the lightbulb and the invention of the Doritos shell taco

Reactions: TP

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
You're right and I apologize therefore, I agree that for a Bruins fan it can easily come off as more provocative than it was meant to be.

No need to apologize, but what you have to realize is that the Bruins were not only without a Stanley Cup for 29 years before Orr’s overtime winning goal, but that they were usually in last place for several years before Orr stepped on the Boston Garden ice for the first time. When Orr finally signed with the Bruins many hailed him as the Bruins Messiah, and right fully so.

Within 3 years, Bobby helped to turn the Bruins around from last place to first and was unbelievable that year, capping it all off with the Stanley Cup winning goal in overtime that was captured forever in time by Ray Lussier’s photo.

Many people simply refer to Orr’s winning goal as “The Goal”, and on the website bobbyorr.net it explains the magic of #4 that day.

“The famous diving goal picture shows Bobby Orr, number 4, scoring the fourth goal, during the fourth period (overtime), of the fourth game of the 1970 Stanley Cup playoffs. This goal won the series. He was tripped by player number 4.”

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This poll is being run by the NHL and not the Bruins.

So you have fans of every team voting and there are a few fanbases larger than Boston.

Talk about moments - this is a doozy

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Fried clam was pretty important discovery .

I can't believe my grandmother was alive when they didn't exist.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Talk about moments - this is a doozy

An amazing feat considering Baun didn't score many goals his entire career, and he also played in game 7 which the Leafs won for the Stanley Cup.

Greatest Hockey Legends.com: Great Moments In Hockey History: Bobby Baun's Broken Leg Goal

With 10 minutes left in the sixth game of the 1964 finals between the Maple Leafs and Detroit Red Wings, Bobby Baun fearlessly sacrificed his body, sliding down onto the ice to block a Gordie Howe shot. The heavy shot bounced off Baun’s foot at exactly the worst spot, breaking a bone in Baun's ankle. He was carried away on a stretcher and he should have seen his season to come to an end.

But he didn't.

In one of the most courageous and famous moments in hockey history, Baun returned to the lineup in the very same game. The game had gone into over time, and Baun refused to go to the hospital. Instead he was given painkillers and had his ankle taped tightly, and returned for the extra period of play.

Just a couple of minutes into the over time, Baun became a hero of legendary proportions. Baun picked up a failed Detroit clearing attempt at the blueline and directed a shot on the Detroit goal. It deflected off of Detroit defenseman Bill Gadsby and over Terry Sawchuk and into the net, forcing game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals!!

There was no way Baun would miss game 7. He refused to allow doctors to examine his ankle. He suffered in severe pain but knew if doctors looked at it he would be forced to sit in the biggest game of a professional hockey player's career. He didn't miss a shift that game as the Leafs won 4-0 and tasted champagne from Lord Stanley's Cup.

After the game the doctor's finally x-rayed Baun's ankle. It was revealed that he indeed had a badly broken ankle.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Ha - my grandmother used to point out everything that wasn't around when she was a kid and TV was one but the fried clam stuck with me.

Woodman's claims they invented the fried clam in 1915 but the Parker House was serving them in 1865.

But it was Howard Johnson's that made them popular.

To keep this on topic Bobby Orr used to go to Kelly's for clams when he lived in Nahant.

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much

Who Invented the Light Bulb?

The light bulb assertion might be viewed as flimsy as the filament that Joe Swan used before Edison. Edison's brilliance came through building alliances and buying patents when it comes, at least, to this bright idea.
...and, what would the world look like if Mr. Harrison did't catch a cold during his inauguration address.

As for R. G. Orr's moment on May 10, 1970, it made a 6 year old cement his admiration for the B's. So friggin right it is the greatest moment in hockey history. Second greatest moment in hockey usually occurs after every Hab loss

Reactions: Fossy21 and Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Surprised that Leaf nation didn't will Sittler's 10 point night through to the finals.

Greatest moment is so arbitrary

For the other Boston teams I submit these moments

CELTICS

RED SOX

PATRIOTS

Bruins Nation in 1970 knew we won the Stanley Cup when the team swept Chicago in the 'Eastern Final' on April 26th but we had to wait to play St Louis to clinch it 2 weeks later on May 10th. Then during that 2 week period was an awful real world event which was the biggest news story of 1970.

The Bruins on May 10th captured the greatest TV rating in the history of Boston television - 71.3 and a 93 share. The 71.3 represented the percentage of all households that had TV's in the market and the 93 represented of all the TV sets ON in that time period were watching the Bruins on Channel 5. The Red Sox in 1967 had similar numbers but the Bruins topped it.

Here is the funny thing - I could say for me the greatest Bruins moment came in a Game 7 against Buffalo in 1983

or in 2011 in Game 7 against Montreal

or 2013 against Toronto

Personally for me the greatest Bruins moment happened in Vancouver when Bergie scored the shorthanded goal to make it 3-0 Bruins and we all knew at that moment the Bruins were going to win the Cup.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Greatest moment is so arbitrary

For the other Boston teams I submit these moments

CELTICS

RED SOX

PATRIOTS

Bruins Nation in 1970 knew we won the Stanley Cup when the team swept Chicago in the 'Eastern Final' on April 26th but we had to wait to play St Louis to clinch it 2 weeks later on May 10th. Then during that 2 week period was an awful real world event which was the biggest news story of 1970.

The Bruins on May 10th captured the greatest TV rating in the history of Boston television - 71.3 and a 93 share. The 71.3 represented the percentage of all households that had TV's in the market and the 93 represented of all the TV sets ON in that time period were watching the Bruins on Channel 5. The Red Sox in 1967 had similar numbers but the Bruins topped it.

Here is the funny thing - I could say for me the greatest Bruins moment came in a Game 7 against Buffalo in 1983

or in 2011 in Game 7 against Montreal

or 2013 against Toronto

Personally for me the greatest Bruins moment happened in Vancouver when Bergie scored the shorthanded goal to make it 3-0 Bruins and we all knew at that moment the Bruins were going to win the Cup.

Thanks for the vids. I especially enjoyed the game 7 against the 'Nuks....Great memories!!!

I still miss Thomas. He was my favorite Bruin at that time.

How many goals did he allow in that seven game series? ...8? ...now that's what I call elite goaltending.

Reactions: Strafer

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
Sorry but Orr’s goal is way more iconic than Mario scoring 5 in a game. Which picture captures Lemieux’s feat?

hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: dabid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad